The Book of Boba Fett

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The first 4 episodes "sucked" because it wasn't what people were expecting.

His reintroduction is mandalorian s2e6. He starts off old man hermit in tusken gear, recovers his armor and then goes beast mode and saves the day. We see him a few more times and learn more about boba, his values, etc. Honor and loyalty. Next fight scene we see him in the post credits scene taking out bib fortuna.

People expected the show to be more of that. They wanted the boba fett they imagined growing up. Ive argued (extensively in this thread) about canon and what they should of expected is filling in the 5 year gap from post jedi until now, which is what the first 4 episodes were about via flashbacks.

I've also argued the problem with the show was the devotion to the prequels by casting jango fett to play boba 20 years later. He was fine in mando, they obviously used a stunt double to film the action scenes and only used morrison when he wasnt in the armor.

Problem is after he saves mando and fennec in mandalorian, he takes off his helmet and starts talking and he doesnt shutup or put his helmet back on. Most of episodes 1-4 is flashbacks to him as old man tusken hermit. Even the current timeline fightscenes is him without his armor or atleast without his helmet. The show has limited itself immensely from this casting choice and suffered for it.

You could argue its the writers/show runners fault for the difference in quality between book of boba fett and mandalorian except its the same people making/writing both shows. All the non boba episodes of book of boba fett people are fine with. The problem is casting a 60 year old with limited physical range to play a 30 year old people expected to be a badass.
i think the issue is that you're assuming Disney is following some canonical trajectory when they have shown over and over that they will change what they change when it suits them.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
another great Mando episode. Boba is a second thought at this point. which is fine because he sucks, Rodriguez has no idea what he's doing here. the bounty hunter was cool as fuck. no idea why they blew up the chick from Flashdance. not too many Stephen King book fans here, but i got Roland vibes from Marshall Vanth in this episode.

iu

iu

he would be a good candidate for starring in a well adapted non Idris Elba Gunslinger series.
This was the 16 minutes of the episode that I liked. Give me more of that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yep, like I said earlier I think it pretty much confirms that Pedro Pascal played chicken with his contract and Lucasfilm called his bluff. They ended up filming half a season of Boba Fett because they had some characters and stories to develop anyway and when Pedro Pascal buckled, they went back to filming the Mando stuff.

Yep the rumors are pretty much confirmed. Jives with the timeline exactly. He was really buttmad about not getting more helmet off time.

• 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
i think the issue is that you're assuming Disney is following some canonical trajectory when they have shown over and over that they will change what they change when it suits them.
Actually im arguing the opposite. They are going balls deep maintaining prequel canon by hiring the guy who played jango to play boba to the detriment of the show, for memberberry points from kids who grew up on the prequels and recognize the actor.

I would have rather they hired a 30 something actor to play boba, whether he resembled morrison or not, and just ignored what he looked like in the prequels.

Since they were deadset on maintaining prequel canon, if they had the deepfake guy 2 years ago when they were making season 2 of mando they could of even used his likeness from the prequels over a lookalike, wrote morrison a check for using his face, and gave us a better boba fett, albeit with the occasional uncanny valley. But since their de-aging wasnt quite there they used the actual 60 year old man instead which shot themselves in the foot over what they could do in this series.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Actually im arguing the opposite. They are going balls deep maintaining prequel canon by hiring the guy who played jango to play boba to the detriment of the show, for memberberry points from kids who grew up on the prequels and recognize the actor.

I would have rather they hired a 30 something actor to play boba, whether he resembled morrison or not, and just ignored what he looked like in the prequels.

Since they were deadset on maintaining prequel canon, if they had the deepfake guy 2 years ago when they were making season 2 of mando they could of even used his likeness from the prequels over a lookalike, wrote morrison a check for using his face, and gave us a better boba fett, albeit with the occasional uncanny valley. But since their de-aging wasnt quite there they used the actual 60 year old man instead which shot themselves in the foot over what they could do in this series.
they could have gone with the actual actor who played Boba in the prequels. he would be in his 30s now and it would still fit the OT canon. as i said. they do whatever they want, they dont have a logcal progression. what we get is what we get.

• 1Like
  • 1Blown

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
20984120.jpg

I mean yeah I guess, lol (Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens)

He'd still be a better choice than old man boba.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
20984120.jpg

I mean yeah I guess, lol (Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens)

He'd still be a better choice than old man boba.
he would be wearing a Boba helmet 90% of the time so it wouldnt matter how gimpy he looked. Pedro Pascal isnt much manlier than that guy if at all.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Someone is salty...

This is the guy that created Cobb Vanth.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
they could have gone with the actual actor who played Boba in the prequels. he would be in his 30s now and it would still fit the OT canon. as i said. they do whatever they want, they dont have a logcal progression. what we get is what we get.

Except he is supposed to be a clone

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

imo, disney is doing this to avoid backlash "THAT'S NOT THE ORIGINAL ACTOR"!!!

i mean they went so far as to go get the original c3po and tall guy to play the wooki, and the tall guy couldn't even put on the suit no more cuz he's too tall and old, just so there wouldn't be backlash, imo.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The thing about Olyphant is that he's really not even that great of an actor, honestly. He's just extremely charismatic on screen.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Someone is salty...

This is the guy that created Cobb Vanth.

The Writer's Guild actually has very specific contract attribution rules for that. He should've gotten credit as "Based on the Characters by" if they used his characters or "Based on the Novel by" if they used events from his books. Lucasfilm has actually done both for other authors in Mando and the animated shows.

The WGA went on strike a few years ago because the studios weren't complying with those rules for streaming (this delayed Battlestar Galactica for a season). He either sold those rights away in his contract for the novelization of Aftermath or he isn't in the WGA.