The Boys

Caliane

Its... not interesting at all. It's fucking stupid.

"These powers are impossible to keep in check, we made him too strong... how can we fix this?"

"Clone him"

"Perfect!"

That's real fuckin dumb as far as storytelling goes because it makes no goddamn sense
eh. the comic is not perfect for sure. Lots of stupid edgy/juvenile shit for edgy/juveniles sake. It would have been better to keep that plotline. but it absolutely did need tightening up.

the story is ultimately a giant criticism of military industrial complex, and corporate America. Superheroes are a faulty product the Company is trying to sell to the military for 80 years. they keep trying over and over. new version of the product, new marketing, etc. never actually addressing whats wrong with the product, or building a product thats actually being asked for. like in the comics, 99% of supes aren't bullet proof. basically useless for actual war. when the "take over of the government" occurs, the military just shoots them all. guns, missiles, etc. theres only a few that require special concerns really. the super hero industry is of course like american idol and the like. which is something they did mirror into the show well. its all fake. manufactured. And not like Tiger and Bunny, where its corporate, and televised/controlled, but still they are actually doing real rescue and law enforcement work.

so yeah, the comic does not do a good job on explaining why or how Noir exists. why babysit Homelander if they have a clone that will listen to them? best argument is, to play them off each other. but thats not REALLY shown at all. what controls do they have for noir?
this is 100% the kind of thing that could have been reworked to make it fit better.
here the answer is probably best in the product idea. same product, different label. lays chips, also sold as great value chips at walmart. or, perhaps its chevy denali. suv, versus truck..
or just model 2.1.5e. noir is model 2.1.5.i. 2004-2007
probably best todo the brand name option. homelander is the brand name, and has the ego from it. noir is the same chips, sold under a different name, at the box store. maybe there are even a bunch of Noirs.

why does homelander so easily just accept he is insane and seeing things? could have done a better job with this as well. really doesn't work nowadays with deep fakes. the photo evidence that set him off, could be easily faked. so they would have to lean more into the direct gaslighting and seeing things. (which in a world of supers, you'd think the first reaction would be to assume mind control) the "oh no, I've gone insane. well, I guess I better just roll with it, and take over the world, and kill everyone in my way, since I have no other option" needs a better setup.

best way would to have it not be JUST Noir. have it be a group of people. his doctor, noir, etc. a bunch of people around homelander that gaslight him. push him over the edge, into a corner. mind control/shapeshifting could also be a factor here. like, lets say its ultimately all Noir. but have Noir force a shapeshifter to pretend to be a bunch of trusted people around homelander. This could also work well for tv. set up this shapeshifter. make everything think they are the mastermind. then the Noir reveal.

but also, homelander in the comics was never kept in check with powers. he wasn't THAT all powerful in the first place. he is the best/closest to actually being viable as a military weapon. (even then ultimately a failure, as he's stupid and emotional) he was kept in check by a desperate need for approval from the corporate vice president. was a man in the comic, but made into the mommy from Vought in the show here. comic he does not die either.

you know, I can't remember if there are any shapeshifters or mind control in the comics... the problem is, either of those WOULD be way too useful for military intelligence. so, would probably break the idea of them all being a product not fit for purpose.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I never read them either but it's becoming apparent the source material isn't very good if that's the main reveal.

Most "ultra being" stories have a distinct, severe weakness for them. That's what makes them work. Superman is powerless around Kryptonite. Vampires die in the sun, etc.

The idea that the weakness is just one more version of the same ultra being is comical. What happens after they fight and one wins? If they don't just team up in the first place. Fucking lol.

This season is bad because Homelanders "weakness" of needing to feel loved has gone off the rails. So he wants to be worshipped and adored but apparently he also hates sycophants. So he's completely bipolar, unhinged, and unstoppable. How is that interesting and what macguffin exists to end the story after dragging it out so miserably?
I completely agree, but I'm not trying to defend the comics whatsoever. I will never end up reading them, Ive basically no desire to because modern day comics aren't near as good as the stuff I remembered growing up with. That might not necessarily be the case in hindsight, but whatever.

I just figured there was somebody who posted some knowledge about the comics, and in FOH fashion, you can ask that person for their knowledge about the subject, because that's what's great about the forum. I'll never have to read however many shitty issues there are, but it didn't stop me from asking questions about it.

The only thing interesting about the show like others have said is homelander and his story arc. Butchers interesting, but that's basically homelander's deal because they're so interweaved, and I could care less about any other character.

I just don't know if the comics were actually really fantastic, or if it was just a good idea, and they took the concept and threw it into a writer's room, and struck gold the first season? I don't know.

I'm sure the final season will be the fakest and gayest of all of them though.

The Boys Homelander GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
eh. the comic is not perfect for sure. Lots of stupid edgy/juvenile shit for edgy/juveniles sake. It would have been better to keep that plotline. but it absolutely did need tightening up.

the story is ultimately a giant criticism of military industrial complex, and corporate America. Superheroes are a faulty product the Company is trying to sell to the military for 80 years. they keep trying over and over. new version of the product, new marketing, etc. never actually addressing whats wrong with the product, or building a product thats actually being asked for. like in the comics, 99% of supes aren't bullet proof. basically useless for actual war. when the "take over of the government" occurs, the military just shoots them all. guns, missiles, etc. theres only a few that require special concerns really. the super hero industry is of course like american idol and the like. which is something they did mirror into the show well. its all fake. manufactured. And not like Tiger and Bunny, where its corporate, and televised/controlled, but still they are actually doing real rescue and law enforcement work.

so yeah, the comic does not do a good job on explaining why or how Noir exists. why babysit Homelander if they have a clone that will listen to them? best argument is, to play them off each other. but thats not REALLY shown at all. what controls do they have for noir?
here the answer is probably best in the product idea. same product, different label. lays chips, also sold as great value chips at walmart. or, perhaps its chevy denali. suv, versus truck..
probably best todo the brand name option. homelander is the brand name, and has the ego from it. noir is the same chips, sold under a different name, at the box store. maybe there are even a bunch of Noirs.

why does homelander so easily just accept he is insane and seeing things? could have done a better job with this as well. really doesn't work nowadays with deep fakes. the photo evidence that set him off, could be easily faked. so they would have to lean more into the direct gaslighting and seeing things. (which in a world of supers, you'd think the first reaction would be to assume mind control) the "oh no, I've gone insane. well, I guess I better just roll with it, and take over the world, and kill everyone in my way, since I have no other option" needs a better setup.

best way would to have it not be JUST Noir. have it be a group of people. his doctor, noir, etc. a bunch of people around homelander that gaslight him. push him over the edge, into a corner. mind control/shapeshifting could also be a factor here. like, lets say its ultimately all Noir. but have Noir force a shapeshifter to pretend to be a bunch of trusted people around homelander. This could also work well for tv. set up this shapeshifter. make everything think they are the mastermind. then the Noir reveal.
Thanks, this is why the forums are so great!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So thinking back to the season finale. Having not read the comic I am still unclear about Soldier Boy. Can he go toe to toe with Homalnder and beat him? Fight him to a draw. Neither and he needs Super Butcher to help him?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So thinking back to the season finale. Having not read the comic I am still unclear about Soldier Boy. Can he go toe to toe with Homalnder and beat him? Fight him to a draw. Neither and he needs Super Butcher to help him?
I think he blew up. So it doesn't matter. Maybe he's still in the comics who knows, who cares.

What you honestly I don't think makes any sense because isn' Maeve still alive maybe, or I don't know what the hell's going on.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

this is 100% the kind of thing that could have been reworked to make it fit better.

but also, homelander in the comics was never kept in check with powers. he wasn't THAT all powerful in the first place. he is the best/closest to actually being viable as a military weapon. (even then ultimately a failure, as he's stupid and emotional) he was kept in check by a desperate need for approval from the corporate vice president. was a man in the comic, but made into the mommy from Vought in the show here. comic he does not die either.

you know, I can't remember if there are any shapeshifters or mind control in the comics... the problem is, either of those WOULD be way too useful for military intelligence. so, would probably break the idea of them all being a product not fit for purpose.

Right, so bad storytelling is just bad storytelling and this was just an avenue for the showrunners to create divisive, provocative content with no substance.

A real world comparison to draw there is so outlandish you wonder how it could have possibly become reality. It's as if Lockheed or Sikorsky were allowed to just use their tech and product on their own to become Disney and the government and military were just along for the ride. It's really fucking dumb in hindsight after watching for so long but... fuck me I guess cuz Superheroes.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It's a comic show. How many times has Kumiko been killed? Shit just this season alone.
I still believe he's dead, where I think the idea was as he had a nuclear meltdown basically.

I mean I guess she's supposed to be wolverine or whatever, I don't know. She's actually an interesting character, and that might be because she actually has a very little if not any dialogue, which might be a benefit to the crappy writers.

There's no telling that he might still be alive, but I thought he was supposed to have died in the last season. Does anybody who's read the comics know how all of that transpired?

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
I see it as just a superfriends parody where they're all assholes. The politicized writing by a bunch of TDS assholes really ruined a good theme.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob

ignoring the comics (i haven't read them) and just focusing on the show, soldier boy would eventually beat homelander because soldier boys ultimate power is to depower other supes. Which was fucking WASTED in season 3, everyone expected Homelander to become depowered and have to either pretend to still be powered or live life as a normie. Maeve instead grabbed SB as he was about to blow up and flew out the building but didn't die from the fall (neither did SB).

Maeve as far as we know no longer has any superpower and Soldier Boy at the end of season 3 was put into cold storage under the watchful eye of the chick that was running the CIA.

So a Soldier Boy v Homelander fight would be them beating the fuck out of each other to a stalemate, then SB blowing up depowering Homelander, SB going catatonic for a bit, he powers back up eventually and hunts down a regular human Homelander and kills him. Nothing Homelander can do to stop it.

the blood power supes may be able to beat SB or Homelander but we don't really know yet.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ignoring the comics (i haven't read them) and just focusing on the show, soldier boy would eventually beat homelander because soldier boys ultimate power is to depower other supes. Which was fucking WASTED in season 3, everyone expected Homelander to become depowered and have to either pretend to still be powered or live life as a normie. Maeve instead grabbed SB as he was about to blow up and flew out the building but didn't die from the fall (neither did SB).

Maeve as far as we know no longer has any superpower and Soldier Boy at the end of season 3 was put into cold storage under the watchful eye of the chick that was running the CIA.

So a Soldier Boy v Homelander fight would be them beating the fuck out of each other to a stalemate, then SB blowing up depowering Homelander, SB going catatonic for a bit, he powers back up eventually and hunts down a regular human Homelander and kills him. Nothing Homelander can do to stop it.

the blood power supes may be able to beat SB or Homelander but we don't really know yet.

I totally forgot they put SB on ice. Thanks.

• 1Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Pretty funny comparison with GoT fans

As far as the Black Noir change it makes no sense. It was such a huge part of the comics that he was the one that raped Butchers wife and not Homelander. Oh the peanut allergy was just terrible

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

En Sabah Nur

Potato del Grande
This show is completely unwatchable except for the scenes with Homelander. It’s honestly amazing how bad everything else is.

• 1Like

bigolas

I am rewatching s3 because it was too long ago and it confirms that the show changed not me. The 1st 4 episodes have 5% of the political messaging that is stuffed in s4.
The series goes off the rails in episode 5. The whole BLM Blue Hawk story is stupid. I was wrong to predict Homelander downplaying the virus because they already did that explicitly in this episode where Homelander downplays the Soldier Boy threat on Fox with Tucker. The dialogue with Starlight insisting she doesn't need a man to protect her. The Kimiko Frenchie musical. The credits roll, you find out who wrote the episode and it all makes sense.
1719248727144.png

• 1Like

Homsar

I still like S3 a ton for most of the season. Soldier Boy starving for approval from his father and getting V then shitting on Homelander like his dad was interesting.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
I still like S3 a ton for most of the season. Soldier Boy starving for approval from his father and getting V then shitting on Homelander like his dad was interesting.

you mean Butcher right? i dont remember them delving into Soldier Boy's youth.

edit: oh guess i dont remember this scene. i was remembering more the Butcher flashback.