The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wonder how long the Nightly Show is going to last. I have tried hard to like that show but it's just not very good.
It's a bit too left for me, to be honest. I consider myself a liberal, but when your topics are almost all the SJW "soup de jouir", I start to lose interest. The whole Bill Maher panel format also doesn't work on something that's only 22 min long.

I love Stewart and TDS and was also a big fan of The Colbert Report.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I agree on the panel being too short, but also some of the bits they do are just cringeworthy. Stuff that wouldn't make the worst night of the worst season of SNL. Also every joke Wilmore makes is about race even when the topic has nothing to do with it which just makes him seem like a one trick pony and maybe being the senior black correspondent on the daily show was more his level. I don't care about the politics if they bring the funny. Stewart and Colbert always made me laugh and sometimes made me think. This show is doing neither.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If I wanted to watch Bet I would watch Bet. Whitmore is nothing but black news and jokes, this guy probably will be the same. Let's hope not but yeah.. Looks like the only entertaining thing on Cc on Is @midnight

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Also every joke Wilmore makes is about race even when the topic has nothing to do with it which just makes him seem like a one trick pony and maybe being the senior black correspondent on the daily show was more his level.
Yup. I really liked Wilmore on TDS. His narrow focus worked well as part of a broader theme. Sadly he can't carry a show on his own and his panels (the ones I've seen at least) aren't very good either. He doesn't have the clout to book top guests I suppose.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's been two episodes where Wilmore started to get on SJWs on twitter for making it impossible to do comedy anymore.

I don't hate the show but it's not good. They don't have time to do a panel, a skit, and an intro.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
It's a bit too left for me, to be honest. I consider myself a liberal, but when your topics are almost all the SJW "soup de jouir", I start to lose interest. The whole Bill Maher panel format also doesn't work on something that's only 22 min long.
I totally agree with this. I Want to like the nightly show, i really do. But damn that panel style, and the topics/writing just don't do it for me.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oliver is absolutely killing it over on HBO's "Last Week Tonight". It makes the loss of TDS much easier to deal with.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Who is this chocolate man. Europe needs to know.
I watched his stand up special on Netflix African American, it was okay. It was mostly interesting because he is a foreigner looking at American Culture with a foreign point of view. I do not think the Daily Show would do very well with him at the helm, but I hope I am proven wrong. I mean Yakov Smirnoff was funny (kinda) with his foreign viewpoint but I don't want him hosting the Daily Show either.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't laughed much at Trevor Noah's bits on TDS. They weren't bad, they just seemed too...transparent. I know the writers are behind what gets said for any skit, but his bits feel like someone else's jokes coming out of the wrong mouth. Maybe it's the cultural difference, maybe it's the unfamiliar accent. I'm betting Trevor Noah wasn't their first choice. Or second. Or third.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't like that table format he has where everyone sites around. It just seems aimless and awful.

I have to wonder what hiring Trevor will do to the rest of the people on the show? I know most have abandoned ship already but anyone else that has been there a while and got passed over has to be pretty pissed.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Bi-racial comedian from South Africa whose parents grew up under apartheid that most have never even heard of, myself included.. I'm smelling PC here-- surely they could have gotten someone recognizable AND funny to fit the role..

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't like that table format he has where everyone sites around. It just seems aimless and awful.
It works for Bill Mahr because he's a very strong host. Even though I hate him, he is very good at his job. When a host is really good the panel discussion works very well but hosting is one of those things that you don't notice when it's being done really well but the whole thing falls apart if the host can't pull it off.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Oliver is absolutely killing it over on HBO's "Last Week Tonight". It makes the loss of TDS much easier to deal with.
I enjoy it, but it's only once a week and they took a several month break. It's not really in the same category at this point.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
If Comedy Central was determined to promote from within, he's probably one of the only ones that would make sense when you take out everyone that is either leaving (Bee, Jones), busy with other projects (Madrigal, Mandvi, Schaal), wouldn't fit the style of the show (Black, Hodgman), or doesn't want the job (Williams). After that, you're left with Noah, Klepper, and Minhaj.

Still, it's a little baffling to give the show to someone that's only had three appearances. Look at how long it took for Colbert, Oliver, and Wilmore to get their own shows. Trevor Noah was a recent enough addition to the show that I suspect they might've picked him up with this idea in mind though. Really, considering how few veterans there were to choose from, I suppose they were going to have to go with someone relatively untested, but at least Noah has several months to try to hone his skills before Jon Stewart steps down.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Nightly Show panel isn't even a real panel, there's no real discussion just a direct question to each panelist. The Keep it 100% part is a bit better but it's just a gimmick.

Noah is a weird choice. PFT would have been the right choice.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It works for Bill Mahr because he's a very strong host. Even though I hate him, he is very good at his job. When a host is really good the panel discussion works very well but hosting is one of those things that you don't notice when it's being done really well but the whole thing falls apart if the host can't pull it off.
A strong host and more often than not at least 2 out of the 3 panelists are strong as well. That makes Mahr easier to stomach most weeks.