The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Caliane

They are both absolutely very left.
And while I agree with a good amount of things, and certainly the "fox new lies to you" elements..

TDS/Stewart pissed me off to no end with the "isn't it about time we had a discussion on gun control in this country". They absolutely come at things from a super left perspective, and everyone else is wrong.
They are not remotely centrist.
Using Sandy hook to push a nonsense agenda, when CT already has some of the strongest gun control laws in the US.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
TDS most certainly criticizes liberals . If you watched the show regularly you would definitely see him bashing stupid stuff they are doing.

Caliane

What are some examples of them mocking a liberal AGENDA? not the incompetence of the individual, but the idea or agenda itself?

Whats TDS's response to Indiana right now?

The right to refuse service, vs the right of service?
This is a good litmus test imho.
you have two rights coming into conflict with each other. a perfect example of one persons freedoms coming into direct conflict with someone elses. you can not have both.

The basic right to refuse service is #1. Demanding service is an entitlement. something no one is inherently owed. We then have specific Acts enabled to GIVE that entitlement to specific cases. Federal civil rights act.
"full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."
Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

Individual states of course have their own Acts. California has one to make discrimination based on dress and sexual preference illegal. For Hippies. not even kidding.

I just wish people considered the importance of understanding that, freedom comes at the price of others a bit more. We have to decide how much we are willing to give up in any scenario.

CT just banned interstate funded commerce with Indiana over that nonsense..

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did like the fact that Stewart was willing to mock the democrats, but it wasn't the same as what he did to the Republicans. He mocks the right for their beliefs as well as for their incompetence/corruption while he only mocks the left for the latter. I think it would be pretty hard to find somebody that could credibly pull off a really centered approach though. Maybe if Dan Carlin was funny. You have to have a passion for politics to do the show right, and most people like that are going to be on one side or the other.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, they mock politicians all the time(on both sides), but they are lockstep with liberal ideas. 90% of the time I can get down with that, but a lot of the Trayvon/Zimmerman/gun control/SJW'esque type shit really loses me.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
What are some examples of them mocking a liberal AGENDA? not the incompetence of the individual, but the idea or agenda itself?

Whats TDS's response to Indiana right now?

The right to refuse service, vs the right of service?

CT just banned interstate funded commerce with Indiana over that nonsense..
Why don't you watch and find out? I no longer get Viacom. I am not going to write a report for you. I did how ever watch the show for several years and they certainly make fun of democrats for doing stupid things.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Jon Stewart frequently made fun of MSNBC, but what MSNBC does is just nowhere near as outrageous as Fox News.

MSNBC just ignores the conservative side of the story. Fox News literally just makes up outright lies. There's a huge difference.

spronk

FPS noob
John Oliver's show pretty much rails against big money and corporations, I'd consider it more centrist than TDS at this point. All of his episodes are pretty much on youtube. The best part imo of Oliver's show is that he tends to go pretty deep on a single topic every week, topics usually most of us aren't super familiar with. Last episode's topic was NCAA. I like the show cuz I pretty much always learn something new and interesting (and shocking, frankly) every episode - don't really say that much anymore about TDS/Real Time or even Colbert.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Jon Stewart frequently made fun of MSNBC, but what MSNBC does is just nowhere near as outrageous as Fox News.

MSNBC just ignores the conservative side of the story. Fox News literally just makes up outright lies. There's a huge difference.
They all fucking lie, they just do it differently sometimes. For instance, MSNBC will paint a narrative by removing context, injecting bias, and introduce a unified panel of "experts" where everyone shares unified harmonious Left leaning views. They literally paint an entirely different story by stripping away relevant information, leaving only facts that support their particular brand of advocacy journalism. It's fucking boring and insulting. Don't get me wrong, Fox does the same-- particularly in certain shows like loony ass Hannity, but MSNBC does it across the board. At least I can watch the Kelly File and she makes the occasional effort to play "devil's advocate", making liberal talking points-- and when she has a panel they make sure to almost always have someone with a liberal view to counter the other panelists.

iannis

Musty Nester
The problem with indiana is that it isn't really a conflict of rights. It could be, but it isn't. Like Zimzam could have been a gun toting racist, but he wasn't.

It's "the right to service" vs. "the right to break a contract without notice or penalty because you don't like someone"

If he had initially REFUSED the contract... but he didn't.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Still preferred Dennis Millers show on HBO to all the recent ones. Wife's South African and never heard of this coloured fella

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
9 tweets in 3 years = Slate article? Jesus...
The "problem" is journalists trying to get money ripping on every goddamn human being in the world. The "problem"is asenine. The "problem" is manufactured. They "problem" is systemic in society. The "problem" is dudes need to live their lives.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
John Oliver's show pretty much rails against big money and corporations, I'd consider it more centrist than TDS at this point. All of his episodes are pretty much on youtube. The best part imo of Oliver's show is that he tends to go pretty deep on a single topic every week, topics usually most of us aren't super familiar with. Last episode's topic was NCAA. I like the show cuz I pretty much always learn something new and interesting (and shocking, frankly) every episode - don't really say that much anymore about TDS/Real Time or even Colbert.

That was actually the most recent one.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They all fucking lie, they just do it differently sometimes. For instance, MSNBC will paint a narrative by removing context, injecting bias, and introduce a unified panel of "experts" where everyone shares unified harmonious Left leaning views. They literally paint an entirely different story by stripping away relevant information, leaving only facts that support their particular brand of advocacy journalism. It's fucking boring and insulting. Don't get me wrong, Fox does the same-- particularly in certain shows like loony ass Hannity, but MSNBC does it across the board. At least I can watch the Kelly File and she makes the occasional effort to play "devil's advocate", making liberal talking points-- and when she has a panel they make sure to almost always have someone with a liberal view to counter the other panelists.
This is exactly what I said. MSNBC will just outright ignore any facts that don't fit their narrative. But Fox News will flat out lie to their audience, make up facts that aren't true, consult with 'experts' on topics who literally use talking points made up purposefully to misinform people. Fox is the only news organization that's arguedin courtfor the explicit right to lie to their audience, and they won.