The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Dalien

Registered Hodor
1.05 patch is up now (two days early?). Glad I finished the carnival shit today.

Version 1.05
- PlayStation 4® Pro console Lite Mode compatibility with a maximum of 60FPS
- New Timed Quests (limited-time hunts and contests)
- Higher level cap (up to 120)
- Increased camera roll capacity (store up to 200 photos)
- Portable music player for chocobo rides
- Conclusion of the Moogle Chocobo Carnival
- Various bug fixes

Updated saves will not work on former versions of the game.

edit: I'm also reading posts saying you can still access the Carnival if you don't update. So if you want anything from there do it now (get the recipies)

Dalien

Registered Hodor
For levels 99-120 the grind is real. I put a Moogle Charm on each guy, ate the 100% exp food and used the 99 Rare Coins I had saved to craft Expericasts. Ended up with around 5mil exp banked, went and slept in Altissa for the 3x bonus and it only took me to 111.

For reference 1-99 takes about 3.5mil exp total. I'm estimating it will take at least 30mil for 99-120. Now that I'm out of Expericasts I guess I'll try some Menace Dungeons when I get home tonight and see how those stack up.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
All that AND THEY STILL HAVENT FIXED THE FUCKING JUMPING INSTEAD OF INTERACTING.

Need to be able to salt yourself.

• 2Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
All that AND THEY STILL HAVENT FIXED THE FUCKING JUMPING INSTEAD OF INTERACTING.

Need to be able to salt yourself.

I got you.

ffxv___jump_by_ry_spirit-dauaxcu.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Digital Foundry did an analysis of the new patch. Instead of adding a third option for 1080p with uncapped fps, they replaced the old Lite option with that. The high option is basically unchanged (read: 1800p checkerboard that looks nice, until you decide to move).

So your choices are either 1080p with huge variance in fps that never actually reaches 60 unless you look straight at the ground, or 1800p with horrible frame-pacing.

Kind of irritating since I was planning to head out today or tomorrow and get a Pro for Horizon and (especially) Nier and was looking forward to checking out the new FF XV content in the meantime. I really don't give a damn about 4K, since the hardware is still vastly underpowered for real 2160p and everything uses that retarded checkerboard shit; I just want 1080p60.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
The new Lite mode is definitely a noticeable improvement but yeah the engine is still dogshit. Also, my PS4Pro sounds like a goddamn jet engine while I'm running it. Usually I'd be cracking my system open to check for dust when it sounds like this, but this one is only 3 months old so I'm going with shitty programming.

Also for anyone curious it's almost 26.2mil exp on the dot for 99-120 so bank 8.7mil if you want to do it in one rest. I ran a few menace dungeons last night to test them and they're not really worth it unless you need to do them anyways (using Moogle charms and 100% lasagna, Fociaugh and Balouve were 200k each, Crestholm was 500k). Still probably better off using crit food and real accessories as they were a slog using the exp stuff.

Repeating the limited time cactuar hunt, or repeating the wyvern hunt at Ravatough are the most efficient ways to grind and reward good AP and/or gil along with them.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I finally beat the game. My console time has been very limited lately but I was able to power through a good chunk over the last couple of days. Despite being way behind everyone else I managed to avoid spoilers.

Overall it was very "meh" for a Final Fantasy game. I hate how there is so much backstory that you are expected to know. After beating the game the first thing I did was hit up spoiler sites just to understand what happened.

I liked the characters. They were all pretty decent. Noctis wasn't bad for a protagonist. Much more likable than Cloud, Squall or female Cloud (Lightning).

The combat is what defines a FF game and I was not impressed. I never cast a single spell and felt I was just button mashing my way to victory. Normal enemies this was fine but some of the bosses (looking at you Ravus) was just spam attacks and potions until his HP turned to zero.

My final verdict is not the best but not the worst. I'd like to go back and play through again when I can spend more time with it. Because of real life I basically just focused on the main story and didn't get a chance to do side stuff. So Noctis was level 43 at the end with just over 20 hours on the clock.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh, I was L40+ with more time than that on the clock at the end of Ch.3.

Agree about the combat though. Spells are too tedious to bother with even with the cheater (no friendly fire) ring and I pretty much just warp strike my way to victory with Ignus' elemental buff.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
A King's Tale that was a Gamestop pre-order bonus is up for free download on PSN now. It's a side scrolling brawler with retro graphics (like Double Dragon) set 30 years before FF15. Download is 2GB.

Still downloading (at these amazing PSN speeds) but from what I've read so far the controls and combos are shitty. Hoping for some decent backstory and lore at least.

Szlia

Playing once a week with a friend, after playing 40ish hours, we just reached chapter 13, so we will probably take a break until the end of march for the patch but.... this game is a bit like Assassin's Creed. Not the game: the movie. So terribad it's almost poetic. Almost.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh a Battle on the Big Bridge remix from FFV.

They gave up on making new good music? Not played FF15 but FFX was the last one with a memorable soundtrack.

Fedor

<Banned>
Oh a Battle on the Big Bridge remix from FFV.

They gave up on making new good music? Not played FF15 but FFX was the last one with a memorable soundtrack.

...you fight Gilgamesh in it, he's right there in the video. What other song would you expect?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Am I totally stupid? I was even looking for Gilgamesh in the video. Did they redesign him?

Edit: Rewatched and saw the mob nametag. Is it not the guy from FF5 who travels between games through the void?

Fedor

<Banned>
He's literally the first character you see in the video (except Gladio) and then Gladio says his name right after.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well we've established I'm stupid, so ill certainly not be able to understand japanese!