The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
IZJS improved on gameplay, story is still a heaping pile of garbage. Very nice. Are you buttmad that we're using your favorite FF as a pinata?

Which one of these guys is you?
maxresdefault.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was 2 that bad?

FF2's progression system was sort of based upon ability usage... kind of. If you took a lot of damage, your HP went up. If you used specific weapon types, those types would go up. Which sounds kind of awesome, execpt that it hamstrings the shit out of you in trying to progress through content. Do shit in a fairly efficient way and you end up incredibly "underleveled" which requires you to stand around in shit fights getting hit in order to level your HP up, because enemy damage isn't tiered even remotely close to how you progress naturally.

It's a pretty terrible system that makes the game largely un-fun to play. It's -very- similar to FF8's leveling system, where your character level determines monster levels but character level has little/nothing to do with character power, while monsters can gain abilities and change drops (incredibly annoying if you level a few times and get past the ability to get specific drops which only drop from certain enemies during certain level ranges) and it makes organically playing the game tedious at the best of times.

Rude: please keep posting. Your opinion is both enlightened and well thought out.

Card game mechanic being equal to gambit system shows your level of cognitive dissonance. One requires you to play a game that isn't FF; the other automates shit you would automatically do anyway in a FF game. Same thing in your world, right?

Also, regarding your response to Vorph... using "we're" when it is "I, in a largely delusional state" isn't really accurate. Try to stay on point.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

You could cheese FF2 - once you are leveled above any area of monsters - you just go back and let the mobs beat on you, that does nothing to help your "leveling" but what does is... you can attack your own party - this is the best way to level atk, hp and white magic. you need to be higher-ish to effectively do black magic as you can kill yourself to easy sometimes - while swords you can just be sure to equip junk or have your casters do the flogging.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So is the final verdict that FFXV sucks? I stopped about 5 hours in, waiting for the Pro patch and the storyline additions. Now I'm not sure I even want to pick it back up.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last leg of the game took it from ok to fuck this game for me, consider yourself lucky you didn't finish it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
You can tell the story was a complete rewrite that didn't have the proper amount of time to occur. The main characters are decent but don't really get the back story that they should. Even the first part has a pretty nonsensical story, it's just overwhelmed by the open world with multitudes of quests and hunts at every turn. The road trip vibe you get ends abruptly and never returns - the long corridor chapters are awful with respect to both story and pacing.

I actually enjoyed the final chapter for what it's worth, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. It's just so abrupt and there is almost no actual build up to it.

The combat is fun for the most part, with the camera sometimes doing dumb stuff. It's definitely not challenging, it's almost impossible to actually die if you are somewhat prepared. You can go through the whole game without casting a single spell and not really even handicap yourself.

Overall I think it's worth playing. The world is beautiful and there are lots of different enemies. The characters are decent, and the bare bones of a decent story are there if you look hard enough.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I'm still enjoying XV, but yeah it's painfully obvious how much content was cut in the second half of the game. People datamining the last few patches have found them adding lots of new assets in previously empty areas so it would be safe to assume they have plans for those areas.

From what I read Ch.13 fixes (additional cutscenes, no idea about maps or gameplay) are going in as part of the Ep. Gladio patch on Tuesday as well.

Siliconemelons

Let us compare two recent games that took forever to come out and are the flagship products of each brand.

Zelda BOTW vs FF15

Zelda = we can see, feel and love the details and small things that create life in this game - the wait is understandable - its not a perfect game, it is not perfect in plot- yet still has a captivating story that you can either take in and get deep or not and move on...some technical issues yes... but when that little something sparks, its magic.
FF15 = once you wrap the outside layer off the game, a very pretty, awesome and nice layer - WTF where they doing with this game this whole time?!

Both games show what is WRONG and RIGHT with both game makers... FF15 is more on the scale of WRONG and Zelda is more RIGHT

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I've played FF15 about 8 hours.. So far the combat is fucking awful.. And why am I playing an entire god damned boy band? I really wanted to like the game, but so far it's just awful. I'll still probably force myself to finish it since I bought it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've played FF15 about 8 hours.. So far the combat is fucking awful.. And why am I playing an entire god damned boy band? I really wanted to like the game, but so far it's just awful. I'll still probably force myself to finish it since I bought it.
Same here pretty much. I think people are just ok with shitty games.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any new news on 7 remake?

Also since people were doing lists again: VII > VI = Tactics > X = IV > IX > XII > VIII > I > XIII. Never played 2,3, or 5.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here we go.

Do you prioritise story? Your favorite is FF6 or 9.

Do you prioritise game mechanics? Your favorite is FF5 or 8.

Do you like a good mix? Your favorite is FF7 or 10.

Are you wrong? You like FF12 or 13. The first half of FF12 blew me away but the combat system ran out of steam when I figured out that it's best to play as healer and the story is half finished. Why are Vaan and Penelo main characters???

Wait...prioritize mechanics and you choose...8?

Felt like 6 and 9's story/stuff to do tailed off earlier than most of the other games (6 WoR is frankly pretty boring...for 9 things really slow down after you leave the Mist Continent, just not as many actual things to do outside of it aside from Chocabo mini game).

Agreed completely on 12 analysis, first half actually moved at a great pace. It was the after that dragged.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Nope, just tested,

You need prime and you need to get all the way to the end of the order process to see the reduction.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Huh, it won't let me select a NA shipping address then for some reason.

Just checked, specifically says video games can't be shipped internationally