The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Game seems pretty cool so far. Didn't play much of the original for the same reason I didn't really play any generation 6 games - EQ and WoW.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe in a year or two.

Edit: Seems the license board wasn't the only major change after all. You can now keep items and LP gained in Trial mode and bring them back into the normal game. Which is sort of cool (trial mode in IZJS was pointless) except that you can steal a Blood Sword A Karkata in stage 3 of the trial and that's one of the ultimate weapons.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
Those chests at the start of the game still trigger me. I know they changed it in IZJS ( I think/hope), but what the fuck was that about? You loot some insignificant chests in the beginning and it robs you of one of the best weapons in the game later on? Ok.......

edit - Should also add that I did really enjoy the game. Played it twice with both saves clocking in 120+ hours. Looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Maybe in a year or two.

Edit: Seems the license board wasn't the only major change after all. You can now keep items and LP gained in Trial mode and bring them back into the normal game. Which is sort of cool (trial mode in IZJS was pointless) except that you can steal a Blood Sword A Karkata in stage 3 of the trial and that's one of the ultimate weapons.
Fuuuuuu is there a digital version someplace? Via square directly?

Vorph

Digital version can be bought from Amazon or PSN directly, it's $50 either way (and a 50GB download if that matters at all). Physical copy is $40 if you have Prime though.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Digital version can be bought from Amazon or PSN directly, it's $50 either way (and a 50GB download if that matters at all). Physical copy is $40 if you have Prime though.
Yeah, I have prime... two day delivery on it if I order right now?

edit: Bah, PS4 only. I'm still console-less. This may almost push me to it...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm stoked. I wanted FF15 to be a spiritual successor to 12 cause I really liked it, and 15 just wasn't. I will take 12 being a spiritual successor to 12.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Well i picked this up today, 5th game i've bought since the PS4 came out...I remember how excited i was when the original FF12 came out (believe it was right around Halloween!). It was my 2nd favorite FF game in the series by a far magain (FF3 US #1, not counting FFT which is GOAT). I remember alot of complaints from people on FF12 which amazed me as it felt way ahead of its time and was very well done. My biggest complaint was character progression and everyone being the same fucking thing but that looks to be resolved to some extent so i am excited!

Haven't gave a PS4 game a go since probably Disgaea D2 came out (or was D5 the last, whichever) so feels good to sit down and play again. Have a fancy nice big screen and stero system i put in and haven't used once haha. Just got started and trying to decide on class; for some reason i remember damage getting capped (?), if so i assume faster hitting people might be better end game like dagger/ninja weapon users? Or am i thinking more back to FF3 days where you had to get the offering(?) and one other item so you could quad 9999!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Great remake on the IZJS system, the dbl job + shared licenses spots == WIN

already gone thru 40 floors on the trial, nothing's changed on it, I have a feeling that the final 10 floors have some major changes, guess I will see when I get there... I hope the final floor isn't changed too much, that fight was fun :D

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Those chests at the start of the game still trigger me. I know they changed it in IZJS ( I think/hope), but what the fuck was that about? You loot some insignificant chests in the beginning and it robs you of one of the best weapons in the game later on? Ok.......

edit - Should also add that I did really enjoy the game. Played it twice with both saves clocking in 120+ hours. Looking forward to this.
Uh, having never played past a few hours, did I fuck myself by opening chests during the prologue?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Uh, having never played past a few hours, did I fuck myself by opening chests during the prologue?
Fucked no, in fact it may be changed.

It was some dumb shit where if you opened a chest early on you missed on a certain item(s). Zodiac spear ??

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Picking a class at the beginning of the game when you know nothing that you can't change seems like bad design. Went with the bushido class only because I want to hit things with a katana

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Zodiac Spear remains in the game, but it's not acquired the same way. I've heard it's a hunt reward, so no more avoiding random chests. Never had to deal with it in ffxii's original iteration because I didn't make it far, but that sounds like it was annoying as fuck

Vorph

There is no damage cap in IZJS/TZA, and the retarded chest/Zodiac Spear shit got nuked too.

And don't forget that every character ends up with two classes, so plan accordingly, especially if you want to use all 12 and not duplicate any. Personally, I'm going with:

Vaan - Bushi/Knight
Balthier - Shikari/Foebreaker
Ashe - Red Battlemage/Black Mage (or Archer if I force myself to use all jobs)
Basch - Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran - Black Mage/Monk
Penelo - White Mage/Machinist

Also, this is a really handy reference for the class boards:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
another note, the Zodiac Spear, isn't the shit in this game anymore either... don't worry about it (unless your going for all weapons/armor etc etc)

Vorph

If you have an Uhlan, you will definitely want a Zodiac Spear. It's exclusive to that job, but still much more powerful than the second best spear. It's also pretty easy to obtain.

There's only two weapons better than it; one doesn't count because it is a cheater weapon that completely breaks the game with a 1 in 10000 chance of spawning (from an invisible chest) and the other isn't completely broken but is pretty annoying to get, and even if you do get it it will most likely be at nearly the end of the game.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is no damage cap in IZJS/TZA, and the retarded chest/Zodiac Spear shit got nuked too.

And don't forget that every character ends up with two classes, so plan accordingly, especially if you want to use all 12 and not duplicate any. Personally, I'm going with:

Vaan - Bushi/Knight
Balthier - Shikari/Foebreaker
Ashe - Red Battlemage/Black Mage (or Archer if I force myself to use all jobs)
Basch - Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran - Black Mage/Monk
Penelo - White Mage/Machinist

Also, this is a really handy reference for the class boards:

Went with pairings pretty similar to your (with Archer), but I went Wht/Time and Uhlan/Machine. I assigned them to characters along story lines, which I think is fine overall but I hear Fran and Balthier make bad Archers and Machinists, respectively. Whatever, though.