The Girls Who Broke Your Heart Thread

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Because I know exactly what my problems are and I don't need someone else to tell me?

I mean, I can totally do this, if we're talking about strength of character or what-not. It's just that I keep getting so close to clawing out of this hole (financially, for the most part, but also emotionally) and so close to 'making it' that every little setback is excruciating.

I'll feel a lot better in a semester with my masters degree in hand, so long as I can just fucking keep it together until then.
for someone who claims to be oh so smart, i would think you would have a better sense of how worthless a liberal arts degree is, masters or otherwise. especially for someone like you who sure as hell doesn't have the interpersonal skills to build a patient base of their own.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
If there is any advice you should heed it is a_skeleton_03's. Therapy would be healthy for you.

The group therapy you are engaging in here might be helpful, but we are not professionals, we are not structured, and over 50% of us are complete assholes. You could benefit from talking to someone who has your best interests at heart.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Even if the therapist just hears your story and knows a way to get help for your mother relieving you of being the only person in the world that can take care of her.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because I know exactly what my problems are and I don't need someone else to tell me?

I mean, I can totally do this, if we're talking about strength of character or what-not. It's just that I keep getting so close to clawing out of this hole (financially, for the most part, but also emotionally) and so close to 'making it' that every little setback is excruciating.

I'll feel a lot better in a semester with my masters degree in hand, so long as I can just fucking keep it together until then.
If you are a therapist like you say then you know that just knowing the problem isn't even remotely close to correcting the problem. Just talking to someone about your shit and having them listen to you can be more helpful and therapeutic than any type of medicine a doctor can prescribe.

No one told you to stfu and move on when you were talking about how you're a virgin looking for a dude to fuck on craigslist Antarius, how about you go eat a dick bro.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
No one told you to stfu and move on when you were talking about how you're a virgin looking for a dude to fuck on craigslist Antarius, how about you go eat a dick bro.
Another one? He and Dumar would probably get along really swell...

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
More like The Mother Who Broke Mist's Heart Thread, amirite?

In all seriousness, Mist, you need help. Be it professional, or personal from other family or friends, you need to seek help.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm not a therapist, I'm a research psychologist.

My mom is the one that needs therapy. She refuses to deal with reality.

The two times I have talked to therapists, they both told me my options are 'stay and be miserable' or 'leave.' Like I needed to make an appointment for that.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not a therapist, I'm a research psychologist.

My mom is the one that needs therapy. She refuses to deal with reality.

The two times I have talked to therapists, they both told me my options are 'stay and be miserable' or 'leave.' Like I needed to make an appointment for that.
It's really not strange at all that you didn't find the therapist to help you in your first two tries. Sometimes it takes finding the right doctor that you mesh with to have things work out. Your therapist isn't just some old ass person taking in your symptoms and then spitting out a diagnosis, they should be someone who can relate with your situation and someone you get a long with. Judging by how peculiar you are it might take a couple tries to find that person. That's completely normal.

I think you should stop focusing on your mom, you obviously don't want to ditch her. She's an inevitability in your life, you should focus on enjoying things independent of her.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Apparently you do. Psych majors who think they know everything are the worst patients in therapy. You are no exception, I am sure.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Apparently you do. Psych majors who think they know everything are the worst patients in therapy. You are no exception, I am sure.
Ultimately it comes down to whether the person is willing to take the help being offered. If you're not open to it then it's all just a huge waste of time. The doctor's not there to convince you to get help, the doctor's there for you when you've convinced yourself you need help.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I don't agree with just packing up and leaving overnight but I think it's completely reasonable to have and conversation with your mother and telling her that you are leaving within the next six months to a year and both work together to find a solution. If she's not willing to work with that you know where she stands then fuck it and leave or prepare to fuck away what should be some of the best years of your life as a miserable care giver, with a miserable free loading patient that doesn't give a fuck about you or your happiness. Until she passes away anyway.

Given how short the time is that we have on this planet I know what I'd do.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't agree with just packing up and leaving overnight but I think it's completely reasonable to have and conversation with your mother and telling her that you are leaving within the next six months to a year and both work together to find a solution. If she's not willing to work with that you know where she stands then fuck it and leave or prepare to fuck away what should be some of the best years of your life as a miserable care giver, with a miserable free loading patient that doesn't give a fuck about you or your happiness. Until she passes away anyway.

Given how short the time is that we have on this planet I know what I'd do.
Yeah, I've done this dozens of times. Unfortunately you can't have a substantive discussion with her without her just flipping out and doing something irrational, which frequently means something financially self destructive.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I've done this dozens of times. Unfortunately you can't have a substantive discussion with her without her just flipping out and doing something irrational, which frequently means something financially self destructive.
Usually when someone's in your care, you're in-charge of their finances.