The House Plants Thread

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The bulb bed is waking up.

y2blqJX.jpg

And I repotted my new Purple Passion. It's looking a bit droopy after its repotting but it should come back.

yQNt7En.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
The bulb bed is waking up.

View attachment 122490

And I repotted my new Purple Passion. It's looking a bit droopy after its repotting but it should come back.

View attachment 122491

I loved having a few purple passion plants! you can train them to wind up a stick with a bit of effort as opposed to their natural inclination to cascade down. If it produces blooms like mine did you should bring it outside so it doesn't smell up your house FYI.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I loved having a few purple passion plants! you can train them to wind up a stick with a bit of effort as opposed to their natural inclination to cascade down. If it produces blooms like mine did you should bring it outside so it doesn't smell up your house FYI.

Good advice.

Yeah I'd definitely rather train it up rather than have it spill.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So my mom gave me a ruby red grapefruit. Thing has come to life and is absolutely covered with new leaves and even some developing blossoms. When exactly should I plant it and what do I need to do?

2017-02-23 00.47.54.jpg

2017-02-23 00.49.43.jpg

Aloe never bloomed. Pods didn't really do anything besides open at the end. Kind weird though is that it's already sending up another stalk. And the smaller plant next to it is also sending one up as well;
2017-02-23 00.51.06.jpg

For some reason one of the stalks became absolutely covered with aphids;
2017-02-23 00.52.28.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So my mom gave me a ruby red grapefruit. Thing has come to life and is absolutely covered with new leaves and even some developing blossoms. When exactly should I plant it and what do I need to do?

View attachment 122576

View attachment 122577

Aloe never bloomed. Pods didn't really do anything besides open at the end. Kind weird though is that it's already sending up another stalk. And the smaller plant next to it is also sending one up as well;
View attachment 122578

View attachment 122579

Hello Big Phoenix Big Phoenix , congratulations on being the owner of a citrus tree! The following bullet points consist of information I read off of Growing A Grapefruit Tree: How To Care For Grapefruit Trees

• To begin you are in zone 9 of the USDA agricultural map, your zone meets the minimum temperature and light requirements (although zone 9b-11 generally are more prolific in regards to fruit production).

• Grapefruit trees prefer a well draining soil, additionally grapefruit trees should be planted in either the fall or spring. Planting the tree in the southern side of your property will ensure maximum sun exposure and some additional winter protection. You mentioned in an earlier post the temperatures drop to the 30s, you may want to drape a sheet or a large piece of burlap overnight to prevent frost damage during this time. Additionally you should plant the tree approximately 12 feet away from any structure.

• Once the hole is dug you should fill in half way and push the soil down to remove any deadly oxygen pockets, water the soil and continue to fill to the top, as a precautionary measure against rot you can plant the tree with a slight mound of soil above the lip of the hole.
  • For the next few weeks water the tree every few days to acclimate it to the transplant. Once the plant is established you can give the tree a single deep drink of water weekly. When summer comes you may have to water more frequently.
  • In regards to the blossoms your tree is producing it is advisable to pinch them off for the first 2-3 years, thus allowing the tree to re-direct its energy towards other biological processes like producing foliage and roots. Grapefruits are generally ready to harvest in late fall.

• Edit: DO NOT prune any part of your tree unless it is damaged or diseased. Unnecessary pruning can cause extreme adverse effects in regards to fruit production that can last for years, a grapefruit tree's height is one of the factors for fruit production.

In regards to your Aloe those red fleshy structures on the end of the spire are in fact the blooms! Thank you for the pictures! i hope the above information helps out.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Today I took a trip to Hartford CT to visit the CT flower show! Its been a long day so I will post pictures of what I saw and some new additions to my collection tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the overwhelming support of this thread.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

View attachment 122576

View attachment 122577

View attachment 122578

View attachment 122579

About your aloe flowers.

They open only slightly at the very tips of the tubes. They send out little yellow fibers, starting from the tubes on the bottom and then gradually working their way up the stalk as the plant matures. Those fibers are actually modified petals I believe. That is the flower.

The pollinator for that plant in the wild, without looking it up, is almost certainly a hovering bird. The reason you can tell is because of the color of the flower, the shape of it, and the position.

I am only an amateur botanist/biologist but my understanding is that animals generally do better at seeing in the red end of the spectrum whereas insects tend to do better at seeing in the blue end of the spectrum. So the fact that this flower is red is, although not solid proof, at least evidence that the intended target is an animal. A bird.

The long tube-like structure to the flower is also important. That is conformed to the shape of the bird's beaks. The nectar that all the pollinators are looking for is not front and center like it is in some flowers. No, this stuff is hidden deep. So deep, and in such a narrow tube, that insects struggle to reach it whereas birds with long sharp beaks (as all or almost all hovering birds have, for this reason) are able to easily penetrate the tube and get to the nectar. Penetrate the tube and get the nectar. Classic biology.

Also notable is the way that the flowers face downwards. That makes it easier for the hovering birds to access due to their anatomy and the way they fly. They start from the bottom of plants and work their way up whereas insects tend to be less discriminate.

And then the water-rich aloe plant itself can easily, by its nature, produce nectar in quantities suitable for larger birds rather than mere insects.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
CT Flower Show 2017
Many of the plants below received 1st, 2nd, 3rd or honorable mentions.

dY7XfYT.jpg

Cluster of Tiger Jaws
HFjBerp.jpg

cEl69Of.jpg

Yellow, Red and Pink Crown of Thorns

dv1FxLZ.jpg

BJh1Hl5.jpg

KRXWYRD.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
The following plants were purchased at the show all for about 25$

My new orchid is beautiful and I'm addicted to collecting them now.

mJzZb1r.jpg

bbsb4SX.jpg

UGbk4en.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Plants below are listed in order of appearance.

• Crassula tetragona
clH5AT6.jpg

aj8wmv0.jpg

• This is a type of Haworthia

xaRScqT.jpg

KiPbwyf.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Today I planted a mix of 6 different Caladium bulbs in a pot. The foliage should look something like this when it grows: (google stock photo)

caladium_2.130143701_large.JPG

Also planted a single Elephant Ear tuber in a pot. It was the size of a softball. The entire internet cannot seem to agree on how to tell which side of the bulb is up and which it down. So I did the one thing they all agreed on, I planted it sideways. The bulb was so big I am hoping for some big leaves: (another google stock photo)

P-038-356968399-3.jpg

Next week I'll plant my Viola seeds in a pot and then maybe in mid March I'll plant my Giant Sunflower, also in a pot.

• 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The tulip bed is looking sad and droopy because the cold came back. From what I've read so far tulips, daffodils, and lilies can survive frost so long as there aren't any flowers yet. If it's just greenery showing so far it should come back, but if it has flowers it needs covering. Luckily none of my tulips have flowered yet and the daffodils seem to still be okay.

41eo56e.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Today I planted a mix of 6 different Caladium bulbs in a pot. The foliage should look something like this when it grows: (google stock photo)

Also planted a single Elephant Ear tuber in a pot. It was the size of a softball. The entire internet cannot seem to agree on how to tell which side of the bulb is up and which it down. So I did the one thing they all agreed on, I planted it sideways. The bulb was so big I am hoping for some big leaves: (another google stock photo)

Next week I'll plant my Viola seeds in a pot and then maybe in mid March I'll plant my Giant Sunflower, also in a pot.

The top of an Elephant Ear bulb looks like this.
An elephant ear that I bought for $10 at my old internship
rrr_img_133133.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
This Christmas cactus is blooming out of season for some reason but here it is anyways.

rpVmzqB.jpg

• 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
When my Elm drops seeds in a few months, I'm thinking about grabbing a couple and trying to maybe bonsai myself an American Elm.

Anyone have any experience with bonsai? I've been watching some stuff on Youtube but have no experience with it at all.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Those are fucking incredible! I think Cereus cacti are some of my favorites not only for their blooms but also for the shape and colors of the columns.

Also, Serpens Serpens do you have any night blooming Cereus cacti species in your region?

The stenocereus pruinosus that you see right next to the blooms has flowers that are open at night, but also the day so I'm not sure that counts. Bought that at 6 inches around 1990 and it is a 12 foot monster now.

• 2Like