The House Plants Thread

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
When my Elm drops seeds in a few months, I'm thinking about grabbing a couple and trying to maybe bonsai myself an American Elm.

Anyone have any experience with bonsai? I've been watching some stuff on Youtube but have no experience with it at all.

Much of bonsai care is dictated by the species of tree that you chose to use (Light, water, temperature, nutrient requirements, ext.)
  • American Elm seeds are one of the few types of elm that do not require cold stratification to germinate although the procedure still does aid germination. Seeds collected in the spring can be grown in the same season.

• Bonsai trees like a well draining soil, I would avoid using a glazed pot to prevent fungal and moisture control issues. The bottom of the pot should have a screen to prevent the little amount of soil you have from draining out. However, if the screen is too small it will actually discourage adequate draining and cause diseases like root rot. That being said I would to a series of tests and start with a screen that is about the same micron measurements as a screen door and work from there.

I have a book about bonsai maintenance, I will set aside some time to locate it and relay more information to you at a later date.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Much of bonsai care is dictated by the species of tree that you chose to use (Light, water, temperature, nutrient requirements, ext.)
  • American Elm seeds are one of the few types of elm that do not require cold stratification to germinate although the procedure still does aid germination. Seeds collected in the spring can be grown in the same season.

• Bonsai trees like a well draining soil, I would avoid using a glazed pot to prevent fungal and moisture control issues. The bottom of the pot should have a screen to prevent the little amount of soil you have from draining out. However, if the screen is too small it will actually discourage adequate draining and cause diseases like root rot. That being said I would to a series of tests and start with a screen that is about the same micron measurements as a screen door and work from there.

I have a book about bonsai maintenance, I will set aside some time to locate it and relay more information to you at a later date.

Amazon link it!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The stenocereus pruinosus that you see right next to the blooms has flowers that are open at night, but also the day so I'm not sure that counts. Bought that at 6 inches around 1990 and it is a 12 foot monster now.

As a Missourian, that cactus and its flowers look so foreign to me. Thank you for sharing it!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
PejAmiH.jpg

R5AEYFO.jpg

kyqr0mQ.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I really like this Begonia. The cut rhizome is starting to take root in water.

KXEoude.jpg

73F9htD.jpg

U4C2SKj.jpg

DCNwLXB.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
This is an orchid that I rescued from someones window where it was roasting to death, its been 2 weeks and the orchid has recovered for the most part. I hope this plant blooms again so I can end my speculation as to what the colors will be.

UxCROri.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The dude is a corporate shill and the chick is fake as fuck.

But.... he clearly knows his shit and despite her fake ass voice, she actually does ask some good questions.

I'm still waiting for my caladium variety pot to sprout.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Planted my grapdefruit tree;
oN7J1XR.jpg

Ul6XAZF.jpg
Orange has some nasty bark damage, from the sun I assume? If so how do you repair/prevent it? There some coating you can apply to it? Also has quite a bit of dead limbs that need to be removed(spent an hour removing them on sunday and still have a lot to remove). Even with all that though it is pretty damn hardy, it produced probably 200+ oranges this year and already completely full of blooms again.
P4VCMp0.jpg

74EK812.jpg
What is up with the leafs on this lemon tree?
h1vGyRi.jpg
And how my backyard is now. Kind of wishing I moved the grapefruit tree a little more to the right.
VRTSXQX.jpg

Next step is to kill all those fucking weeds. Also slowly removing the grass in my front yard for eventual desert landscaping.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I bought an African Violet, a Primrose that is beginning to bloom and a Gerbera Daisy.

YVGaKIa.jpg

vgOfSbA.jpg

7LSjfNn.jpg

oqNvZMM.jpg

cRtW7gk.jpg

DYgi4ru.jpg

syGDky8.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My Primrose opened its first bloom today!

VQuTHK8.jpg

YkMSR6A.jpg

Also my orchid blooms are still opening bringing the current total to 8, with 2 buds that remain closed.

8Es27Rg.jpg

1fKCVM0.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>

to add on to this. If your goal is to have a legit old looking bonsai in the shortest amount of time, then plant it in either a) an oversized pot or b) the ground.

The idea being that the tree will grow faster if the roots have more room to grow and expand. You can keep pruning and wiring it as much as you desire while still maximizing growth. Stick to bungles' advice on well draining soil whichever option you choose.

After you decide you've got the branch structure and fullness you desire, the challenge then becomes knowing when you want to start training the roots to be shallow. Then you can start downsizing the pot.

I could incorrectly recall much of his advice, but i'd better just recommend the penultimate source (imo) in bonsai:
Bonsai Techniques I: John Yoshio Naka: 9780930422318: Amazon.com: Books

Both I and II are great books, easy to digest and reference, and even look good. Great coffee table book.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
That thing is cool. Two colors attract a range of pollinators and the white stripe is really sharp. A really great flower.

Thanks man I thought the colors were cool too, Ive been reading about primroses and they seem easy enough to care for however I don't think i will plant it outside though.