The Joe Rogan Experience

Column_sl

shitlord
I don't really know Howard Stern, so I don't know if he is fucking with them or whatever, but that whole thing does sound like he is pretty out of touch.
Yeah Howard Stern is really out of touch, LMAO....

Just an FYI he makes 70+ million a year just on radio in a half a billion deal, and was the highest paid tv personality at 95 million in 012-013. That's not even factoring all the other stuff he produces.

You are vastly under estimating his viewing audience.

I think you are out of touch.... Must be all those Podcast billionaires out there haha

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I don't really know Howard Stern, so I don't know if he is fucking with them or whatever, but that whole thing does sound like he is pretty out of touch. He talks about terrestrial radio as having an audience. Bro, in 1985 sure, but that isn't the case anymore. Podcasting has a much wider potential reach, and definitely has the capability to fill niches much better. I mean, I'm not an industry expert, maybe I'm mistaken. I just can't think of a single big radio star anymore, and never listen to talk radio anymore now that I have podcasts. Really seems like he's full of shit though.
The only big radio stars are people who got big before the internet was a thing. There's probably never going to be another star that builds his career from terrestial radio. The only people that still listen to that shit are loyal fans of already established shows or people too old/stupid/lazy to put something else on while driving.

Column_sl

shitlord
The internet was a thing? what are you Al Gore...

Look at the top 25 Radio Personalities, they eclipse any audience being done in podcasts currently. Almost all political talk shows FYI, and are all rated in the top 20 most influential people in america..

I'm sure big sponsors are lining up to get as little a market share as possible....

Need to change your name back to Dr Retard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
By the way, Joey Diaz was on "This is not happening".
joey was one of the top 3, eh fuck it, he was the best (i think it was redo coke story, but he tells it well), everyone else was pretty damn bleh, especially joes, it was just a rehash of his hotel-ambien-late night alarm-fit through stairwell. bert redid his bear story

why? seems like most of the guests were ari's friends, and you know as friends go, some are good some are horrible, like bobby lee, is as terrible as always, the ugly guy from "the league" boring, boring spanish girl

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
The internet was a thing? what are you Al Gore...

Look at the top 25 Radio Personalities, they eclipse any audience being done in podcasts currently. Almost all political talk shows FYI, and are all rated in the top 20 most influential people in america..

I'm sure big sponsors are lining up to get as little a market share as possible....

Need to change your name back to Dr Retard
While I agree with you that radio guys are still pretty big, I read an article today that said that 40 million Americans listened to a podcast last month. I can link the article but it's in German.http://www.nzz.ch/feuilleton/medien/...zen-1.18508309

So to say that there is no market to be reached through Podcasts is pretty false I would say.

Column_sl

shitlord
He never said that there was no market for podcasts... He said if you want to make some real money that he should try to do what Opie and Anthony obviously are very successful with.

Ari isn't funny anyway so who cares what he does. I'm surprised Howard gave him any attention

Goatface

other than Howard and Opie/Jim, what other comedic radio show hosts are popular?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah Howard Stern is really out of touch, LMAO....

Just an FYI he makes 70+ million a year just on radio in a half a billion deal, and was the highest paid tv personality at 95 million in 012-013. That's not even factoring all the other stuff he produces.

You are vastly under estimating his viewing audience.

I think you are out of touch.... Must be all those Podcast billionaires out there haha
When did I underestimate his listenership? I msy not be into him, but I know who he is at least and I have an idea of what he makes. Are you trying to argue that the path he layed out of succeeding on terrestrial radio is a thing? Yeah I really don't think it is, and in that way I say he is out of touch. Or like someone else said, just playing the extreme for content. Nobody is following the Howard Stern model for broadcast success anymore because it is a different market.

Column_sl

shitlord
Nobody is following the Howard Stern model for broadcast success anymore because it is a different market.
Wow , you really are out of touch. There are Howard Stern wanna bees in almost every major city right now. Except they suck so no one gives a shit

You know the whole Shock Jock thing....

What path did he lay out exactly? He went on radio and dominated the viewership... Same thing Rush Limbaugh did etc, and there are plenty of broadcasters that would love to have that live audience everyday with the money they bring in.

You are absolutely clueless, let me phone up Rush right now ,and tell him it's a different market he should start doing podcasts lmao

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I don't understand what you are saying. in 30+ years there have been what, two non-political shows that hit success like Stern did on terrestrial radio? Other than Opie and Anthony, who else followed that model? You're saying there are tons of these guys, that apparently no one has heard of and aren't successful at all. You're pointing out Rush, yet again a guy who did this 30 years ago. I really don't know, it doesn't seem like the past decade is filled with people who just killed it using Stern's model (the model he laid out in the very video in this thread jackass). It pretty much seems like the exact opposite has happened, and no one is achieving any level of national (much less international) success using terrestrial radio, which was his whole point.

Column_sl

shitlord
Other than Opie and Anthony, who else followed that model? You're saying there are tons of these guys, that apparently no one has heard of and aren't successful at all.
Of course, do you even live in the USA? We listen to those ass hats everyday with their stupid prank phone calls, and shit. How do you think Howard Stern started?? He was a disc jockey that would make some funny remarks, and it grew into a show. He didn't start as a stand up comedian... Also he had plenty of big competition, and the FCC all over him constantly.

FYI XM has allot of shows right now in talk radio. Just because no one has reached Marvel and DC levels doesn't meen the other comic book companies don't exist...
The people that are super successful on podcasts would be even more successful on XM. Joe Rogan, Adam Corrola, etc. That audience for live radio is huge...

Take the TWIT network for instance, an all podcast show.

They were originally TechTV, and syndicated making millions each year with real sponsors. Now they make peanuts doing the same shows, and we already know they dont get quality sponsors anymore.

Like 90% of the podcasts out there don't even have sponsors. They are doing it for nothing. The other 10% have guys like Sofia chicken and Ribs on highway 10 giving them 1000 a month for a spot, lol.

Your argument is invalid until the sponsors start shelling out millions for those podcasts. If David Chappelle announced today he was going to do a radio show on XM, and it was actually good he would be the next big thing.

The reason they don't? because it's too much work to do live radio everyday when they can do one TV show and make the same money.

The point Howard was making is you have your audience now through podcasts why are you still working for peanuts?? Give radio a shot, and see if you are really as good as you say you are because obviously that is where the real money is.

When Howard said if I had to resort to doing podcasts I would quit that is no joke...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Except he was specifically talking about his level of fame. Clearly there is no one on his level doing podcasts. There are also only like 2-3 people on his level doing any kind of radio. Like 4-5 times during this conversation I or someone have asked you who else is successful on this level other than Opie and ANtony and you just keep going "LOL FOR REAL GUYZ WHO IS THIS GUY?" What argument do you have me making in your head? I've tried to spell it out as simply as I can for you, no one is doing today what Stern did in the 80s and having success with it like he did. It isn't happening. You, the champion of "shock jock" radio, can't even name one. You're saying "give radio a shot because that's where the money is" except it isn't. Except the only people I could actually name on the radio are leaving it for podcasts, XM, or tv. Maybe politics is still holding it down on the radio, idk. Stern sure the fuck isn't, he bailed to satellite. But I thought the money was in terrestrial radio? He's making more money than god now, based on a 30 year career started when the market was completely different. Carolla left radio because he was getting carpal tunnel from signing all those checks? doubtful.

And dude, TechTV was shut the fuck down due to low ratings. That is like the exact model for internet success. They are able to cater to a niche where before they had corporate overlords to answer to that didn't understand "well we have a loyal following". "Don't get quality sponsors anymore"... dude, those people are making more money now than they ever did on TechTV, the only difference is that they are servicing their audience more directly and there isn't Comcast behind them fucking everything up.

Column_sl

shitlord
Opie and Anthony started in 95.... and Before Stern there was Imus etc... Hey Opie and Anthony you should quit right now you have no chance against Stern!

Stern bailed to satellite for the money. He put together a half a billion dollar deal at the tale end of his career. He works like 4 times a week max as opposed to working everyday on public radio, and his show can't be banned in sections of the country like some states would do to him constantly.

Your whole argument that no big comedian has taken over from stern, and Opie and Anthony is invalid. What comedian has tried?

There is peanuts in podcasting, and real sponsors in radio. That's a fact..

I win another conversation thanks for playing, grandpa..

FYI attempt to use paragraphs, k thx

Column_sl

shitlord
And dude, TechTV was shut the fuck down due to low ratings. That is like the exact model for internet success. They are able to cater to a niche where before they had corporate overlords to answer to that didn't understand "well we have a loyal following". "Don't get quality sponsors anymore"... dude, those people are making more money now than they ever did on TechTV, the only difference is that they are servicing their audience more directly and there isn't Comcast behind them fucking everything up.
I love how you just make shit up. TechTV was bought out, merged then consolidated to G4tv. Has nothing to do with ratings, it was a cable station anyway haha.

Vulcan Ventures sold TechTV to G4 Media (owned primarily by Comcast), which merged it with the video game channel G4 in May 2004 to form G4techTV. In February 2005, the name was changed back to G4, eliminating TechTV from the name completely.
And making more money then they were before?? hahaha. I'd love to see you prove it. Leo makes a lion share of his money now from syndicating a portion of his show to other vendors. He admitted that as of last week. You can tell just by the sponsors he has that they aren't making much.

FYI Those kids on that show almost all have 2nd jobs in the tech sector, and journalism. Why is that you think? hmmm

Goatface

Leo's tech guy show? last time i heard he said he made $350k per year doing that, while the twit network was making over $5 million in profits
surely his cut is more than that
not listened to him in a long time after some firings and hires i didn't care for.

Column_sl

shitlord
Clearly there is no one on his level doing podcasts. There are also only like 2-3 people on his level doing any kind of radio.
So lets quit now, it can't be done...but clearly Opie ,and Anthony did it against Stern, Imus, and all the other Political radio hosts that dominate those brackets

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So in the past 20 years, no new shows. Got it.

You should really read up, Leo has talked plenty on what happened with TechTV, the contract renegotiation, the proposed programming changes, staffing changes, etc. All brought about due to relatively low ratings leading whatever subsidiary of Comcast to combine G4 and TechTV.

I don't know about you, Column. You're literally having a circular argument with yourself. When people complain about you shitposting and I ignore the reports, is this what it's like?

Column_sl

shitlord
So in the past 20 years, no new shows. Got it.

You should really read up, Leo has talked plenty on what happened with TechTV, the contract renegotiation, the proposed programming changes, staffing changes, etc. All brought about due to relatively low ratings leading whatever subsidiary of Comcast to combine G4 and TechTV.

I don't know about you, Column. You're literally having a circular argument with yourself. When people complain about you shitposting and I ignore the reports, is this what it's like?
I've have his booked signed, son. I've been following them since ZDTV. The company was a cable company. do you understand what that means? It was then bought and merged with a video gaming channel....

They didn't want old farts like Leo around anymore, and hence the bad blood.

And in 20 years what major comedian has tried to topple Stern? name one... You are saying no one can do it, and yet at the height of Sterns career during the 90s Opie and Anthony said yes we can, or get close.