The Last of Us

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Much better again. Odd ending place, didn't feel like an hour had gone by.
Runtime was about 25 minutes shorter than last week's episode. Shortest of the season so far. Could have easily cut 10-15 minutes off last week's episode and put it on the 2nd or 4th.

Oldbased

> Than U
Runtime was about 25 minutes shorter than last week's episode. Shortest of the season so far. Could have easily cut 10-15 minutes off last week's episode and put it on the 2nd or 4th.
Ahh that would explain it. They got to the building and ambushed then credits. I felt like I wasn't near the end.
Wonder if that is why it is now coming Friday at 9EST instead of Sunday.

EDIT-NM Releasing on Friday due to Super Bowl Sunday

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Bad boss girl was ass in all aspects of acting and role. Joel is a murder machine, killing only two people at the ambush was lame. The rest was good.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I’m over this chick’s forehead. Took me four episodes to realize at the end “huh. I didn’t think about that at all.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I like how they handled the game’s “raiders”. They’re just another group of people trying to survive the best that they can.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
As someone who lives in Kansas City, this is an accurate portrayal of the area.

At least we have the Chiefs!

• 1Like

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Haven't played the games nor have I watched the show, but it's plain to see that TLoU is yet another example of a game made by people who'd rather be working in film so it'll never excel as either.

• 5Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

Szlia

Haven't played the games nor have I watched the show, but it's plain to see that TLoU is yet another example of a game made by people who'd rather be working in film so it'll never excel as either.
You haven't played the games nor have you watched the show, but it's plain to see that knowing nothing does not prevent you from giving your opinion.

• 6Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 3Ice Burn
Reactions: 12 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My biggest issue with the Gay Ron Swanson episode was actually not the gayness. In the original game, the entire encounter with Bill set the tone in a lot of ways. And Frank's suicide was more of a shock that impacted everyone. In their efforts to win awards with their stunning brave bear story, they completely changed a ton of important things from the game. No interaction with Ellie and Bill, no comic books found by Eli, no tense push start of the truck where Joel has to trust her, no explanation about the battery situation, and so on. This was a completely disconnected story with zero relationship to the main tale beyond "We went to get a car where some dead gay guys were shacking up at." and could have basically been completely cut out with no real impact on the whole story.

Druckmann is continuing to Lucas retcon his shit to cram in more Lifetime Gay Specials and the overall story arc is suffering for it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
You haven't played the games nor have you watched the show, but it's plain to see that knowing nothing does not prevent you from giving your opinion.
Are you new to the internet? Seriously though, I don’t need firsthand knowledge to support the correct conclusion.

Around the time dev studios got too big for their britches and started designating roles like “director” on their AAA-budget productions it became clear that a lot of the “creative talent” in the industry were suffering from a serious case of Hollywood envy. This Dreckmann guy is no exception, as he seems to be more interested in writing narratives than designing mechanics, yet his best efforts are still reduced to B-movie standards because authorship in games is always at odds with, and thwarted by, player agency.

By any narrative-driven measure, games will always be second-class citizens as art. This is most evident when those that aspire to be what you’d call interactive cinema often receive high praise and awards but movies based on them are always snubbed. If TLoU wins any recognition in this format (excluding some bait category like “Best Supporting Faggot”) it’ll be in direct measure to how much it deviates from its origins.

• 1Picard

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
My biggest issue with the Gay Ron Swanson episode was actually not the gayness. In the original game, the entire encounter with Bill set the tone in a lot of ways. And Frank's suicide was more of a shock that impacted everyone. In their efforts to win awards with their stunning brave bear story, they completely changed a ton of important things from the game. No interaction with Ellie and Bill, no comic books found by Eli, no tense push start of the truck where Joel has to trust her, no explanation about the battery situation, and so on. This was a completely disconnected story with zero relationship to the main tale beyond "We went to get a car where some dead gay guys were shacking up at." and could have basically been completely cut out with no real impact on the whole story.

Druckmann is continuing to Lucas retcon his shit to cram in more Lifetime Gay Specials and the overall story arc is suffering for it.

And at the same time Ellie was reading the stuff in the back of the car just like the video game and literally no set up. It was stupid.

IN the end with TLOU2 we all know where this is going and viewership will fucking plummet if that piece isn't completely retconned.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Around the time dev studios got too big for their britches and started designating roles like “director” on their AAA-budget productions it became clear that a lot of the “creative talent” in the industry were suffering from a serious case of Hollywood envy.
Counterpoint: Hideo Kojima

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Counterpoint: Hideo Kojima
More like case in point:

1675702714378.png

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida

A new contender emerges to shit up the thread

shades of blue GIF

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Bad boss girl was ass in all aspects of acting and role. Joel is a murder machine, killing only two people at the ambush was lame. The rest was good.

TBH I get why they changed her, its hard to humanize or emphasize with her game version as she was very one dimensional. This version seems to be one that is very good with words and convincing those one dimensional bad asses to do what she thinks is best, also she really had no plan after they got rid of FEDRA in KC. The raiders downfall will be on her being exposed as a terrible leader, rather then generic "bad ass girlboss" which I figured this forum would appreciate more. Her killing the doctor is the perfect example of that, a doctor is like the most precious resource you could possibly have, but she is so stupid that she kills him because she suspects him of helping FEDRA expose the resistance up to them winning.

Also Perry (dude with epic beard) is Tommy's voice actor if he sounded familiar. Finally get to see a Bloater next week as well, which will be exciting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
A new contender emerges to shit up the thread

shades of blue GIF

I'd respond that the game is more or less universally loved, and the TV show truly is fantastic, but thats not really why you are posting in here.

The first game was universally loved - the second, well, let's see how well the second season is received in combination with how well the sequel was received if they follow "Canon".

Juvarisx

Florida
The first game was universally loved - the second, well, let's see how well the second season is received in combination with how well the sequel was received if they follow "Canon".

Totally agree, I am basing this on the first game since thats all we have seen so far in the show

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This thread is getting gayer than Ron Swanson's Bear-Trap-hole on a hot summer evening.

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Last night’s episode was a snoozefest. After last weeks Love Boat episode, I was hoping for some action. Color me crazy, but I’d like to see some zombie action in my zombie thrillers. All I really remember from last nights episode was some obviously tryhard attempts to build the “bond” between Joel and Ellie, but it felt so contrived. The events in the game, and which phazael mentioned, were more organic in this goal. Also, the genocidal Karen who leads the bandits has about as much gravitas as my high school lunch lady. Total miscast, but I’m guessing that’s intentional.