The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Goddamn Azeth take it down a notch. And Boston fans in general tend to be more bandwagon. Pink hats, anyone?

And I'm pretty sure Phazael is a GB fan.

And Boston fans in general tend to be more bandwagon. Pink hats, anyone?.
.... buddy,boston fans coined this termto describe other boston fan's girlfriends/wives etc who bought merch. and called talk shows for the first time in their lives after Oct 2004.

You know not of what you speak.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Any team having success has bandwagon fans. The people saying that shit are just jealous their team doesn't have them.

Time for a serious question. Will this be Ice Bowl 2014 because this is the 2014 season, or Ice Bowl 2015 because the actual date is 2015? Or will it not be an Ice Bowl at all since it's not the championship game?

moontayle

Golden Squire
And it's not actually that bad, mid teens and in the middle of the day, a good 30 degree warmer than the Ice Bowl. People can talk about "advantage" when it comes to playing in the cold weather but that's something fans like to trumpet. The vast majority of players don't like playing in the cold, it doesn't matter what team they play on. Northern based teams are exposed to it more often but they hate it as much as the visiting team.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any team having success has bandwagon fans.
Yeah, just look at my entourage of Johnny-come-lately posters shitting up the thread!

I'm sure they'll be here any day, probably been drinking and smoking crack since Saturday night's celebration.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
who fucking knows, just another purposeless, opinionless, fodder poster
Says the one guy who managed to get free tickets to the rickshaw purely from being a tool in this thread. That is your most significant achievement in this thread.

Alex is correct. I grew up in Wisconsin and Packers are the state religion there. And for the record it was Deanna Favre who started the whole breast cancer awareness bullshit (which I honestly hate) in the NFL because of her fight with the disease while Favre was playing in GB. That's where a lot of this pink football apparel shit started, it just took self absorbed twats from Massivetwoshits to turn it into something about themselves. And I have nothing to prove, because I stuck with the Pack from the Bart Starr era, though the Forest Greg years, Lindy Infante, Ray Rhodes one year stint, Mike Sherman's trail of mediocrity, and on through the current McFatty and Teddy the Ghost Regime. Packers have one notable suspicious thing in their history which was the Don "Magic Man" Majkowski's clear illegal forward pass in the instant replay game, which any old school packer fan will admit was bullshit in our favor, but it was during an .500 season and no playoffs were affected by it. Ditka just had an asterisk placed in the official Bear records. How much shady bullshit does your franchise have again?

Packers certainly have some bandwagon fans, especially since the State Farm guy took over under center, but there have always been cheesehead faithful in every state since the Lombardi era. The same is largely true of the Broncos and Steelers fan bases. You have to look to teams like the Cheatriots, Seahawks, and the like to find the well oiled revolving door on the bandwagon bus.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And it's not actually that bad, mid teens and in the middle of the day, a good 30 degree warmer than the Ice Bowl. People can talk about "advantage" when it comes to playing in the cold weather but that's something fans like to trumpet. The vast majority of players don't like playing in the cold, it doesn't matter what team they play on. Northern based teams are exposed to it more often but they hate it as much as the visiting team.
This. It has been unseasonably warm in Wisconsin lately, at least in the Green Bay area. The real issue for the Cowboys is going to be if the wind picks up because the wind chill will cut through you like a knife if you are not used to it. It is a mid day game, though, so I would expect weather not to be a factor for anyone but the QBs. For Rodgers it will be his sore leg and for Romo his sore back. Shit like that tends to bother your motion more in the cold, though raw pain is less of an issue. If the Cowboys can't correct the issues they had in the first half against the Lions, they are kind of in for it. I think the Packer OLine will be fine, if Sitton shows up to play. This is really going to be a game of how long Garret is patient enough to stick to the run to keep the game close and wear down our D. If he does his usual thing (or Romo Audibiles into a Pick 6 Play), it could get ugly. If GB has another bout of Red Zone allergy or has a string of drives all stall, then its the Dallas's game. My best unbiased guess is that (barring refs tipping it) Packers 27-24, but that's purely on home field advantage which is enormous for the Packers.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
I'm not a Cowboys fan at all, but I'm hoping they win the Superbowl and Romo throws 5 TDs with no Ints. Just so I can witness the "Tony Romo is now elite" discussions and the multitudes of rage to follow.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Statistically, the passing game suffers more in cold weather than the running game so that's Dallas's best chance as I don't think the Cowboys can win in a shootout against GB.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would agree completely.... except Garret and Romo chronically forget that they have the best running game in football. If I were a Dallas fan, I would rage every time I see an empty set early in a one score game, but it happens a lot for some reason. GB does the same shit, but not as often or bad. And it is not like Lacy is incapable of matching pace against the Dallas front, if it comes to that. My concern on the GB side is more about Rodgers mobility and plant leg suffering due to stiffness. It is likely why he has not been doing much in the way of practice time. A bad back is mainly going to limit Romo from throwing across his body or as deep, especially if he takes a few early hits. I really think the run game is mostly a wash in this game, at least while it remains close.

I don't think the cold will affect Rodgers throwing, outside of his leg issues, as he has been largely impervious to weather over his career. I am not sure on Romo, but his past stats are less relevant since this whole season is a massive outlier for him.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, just look at my entourage of Johnny-come-lately posters shitting up the thread!

I'm sure they'll be here any day, probably been drinking and smoking crack since Saturday night's celebration.
Who is your team again? See below.
Any team having success has bandwagon fans.The people saying that shit are just jealous their team doesn't have them.
How cold does it have to be to be another ice bowl? I kinda figured anything below freezing with ice on the field counted (though looking at the weather forecast, it doesn't look like there will be ice).

moontayle

Golden Squire
How cold does it have to be to be another ice bowl? I kinda figured anything below freezing with ice on the field counted (though looking at the weather forecast, it doesn't look like there will be ice).
From Wikipedia:

Dubbed by the sports media as "The Ice Bowl", the game-time temperature at Lambeau Field was about ?15 ?F (?26 ?C), with an average wind chill around ?48 ?F (?44 ?C); under the revised National Weather Service wind chill index implemented in 2001, the average wind chill would have been ?36 ?F (?38 ?C). Lambeau Field's turf-heating system malfunctioned, and when the tarpaulin was removed from the field before the game, it left moisture on the field, which flash-froze in the extreme cold, leaving an icy surface that got worse as more and more of the field fell into the shadow of the stadium.

Re: Dallas playcalling.

They've shown a pretty good tendency of adjusting things this year. Some of the empty backfield sets have been used simply because teams were loading up the box on 1st and 2nd downs. Back half of the season they started going 3wr, 2te on 2nd down, which had a lot of success before the Detroit game, who gameplanned for that. Dallas responded in the 2nd half by flipping the script, passing more out of first down and running on second out of shotgun. GB beat Detroit in week 17 almost exclusively out of the shotgun formation, and that's ultimately how Dallas did it as well. Instead of being bullheaded and trying to fit a round peg into a square hole, they adjusted.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah Seattle has the best scrambling game in the NFL, but in terms of designed runs and production, Dallas is the best this season.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a Seattle fan I am not sure I can agree with this statement unless you adding Russ' yards too. I think Lynch is 3rd or 4th this year in total rushing yards.
Russ has to be included. He's not a RB(Obviously), but 850 yards and more 3rd down conversions than anyone else on the ground(I think, might have gotten passed up the last couple weeks) is silly. If you really want to argue JUST traditional RB game then yeah Dallas has to go 1.

Jets might be #2 by that metric, which is crazy.