The Penguin

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Colin is already holding this show. Good first episode, His voice range is pretty impressive

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Really good first episode. Farrell is definitely getting an Emmy nom for this thing.

Almost get the feeling though that this is one of those shows where the first episode absolutely blows your socks off, then it kind of goes soft in the middle and finishes strong.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Between Penguin and Joker, why am I always more like the villian than I am Batman?
Anyways, probably one of the strongest of openers of well most Max Series.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't really care fore the whole kid stuff but it was fine and its obvious he's grooming him

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I don't really care fore the whole kid stuff but it was fine and its obvious he's grooming him

He really is one of the best actors out there for being able to make you forget he's Colin Farrell. Gary Oldman, Daniel Day-Lewis, and I would even say Robert Pattinson, and probably Guy Pierce off the top of my head, they're all able to transform.

So many actors like Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis, the list goes on, yes I like their movies but they're always the same character, or at least sound the same. When was Samuel L ever not playing Samuel L Jackson?

Denzel Washington is pretty good, but he always delivers his lines in the same cadence, sounds the same, he's just playing a different character from a different perspective in a different situation.

There's a line between a movie star and an actor, and the vast majority are movie stars, but the ones that are able to do something like this, that's what you'll remember, and at least should be appreciated because they love their craft, and it shows, even if the ultimate result isn't stellar, but you can still appreciate their ability.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He really is one of the best actors out there for being able to make you forget he's Colin Farrell. Gary Oldman, Daniel Day-Lewis, and I would even say Robert Pattinson, and probably Guy Pierce off the top of my head, they're all able to transform.

So many actors like Tom Cruise ....
I would point out that Tom Cruise has occasionally not played himself.

1726870401161.png

I would never have guessed Colin Farrell playing this role. He is hitting it about as hard as Heath Ledger did the Joker. Is a Shame we could never get them together in one show/movie. I like this so far. It has a Sopranos feel to it with the DC vibe barely visible. I hope the writing keeps up.

The last song....
Nick Offerman Smile GIF

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I would point out that Tom Cruise has occasionally not played himself.

View attachment 546979

I would never have guessed Colin Farrell playing this role. He is hitting it about as hard as Heath Ledger did the Joker. Is a Shame we could never get them together in one show/movie. I like this so far. It has a Sopranos feel to it with the DC vibe barely visible. I hope the writing keeps up.

The last song....
Nick Offerman Smile GIF
Yeah but Heath ledger wasn't necessarily known for being diverse in his roles. That's obviously his best acting ever probably in his career. I mean do you really think A Knight's tale was memorable?

I know occasionally actors will have those movies or TV shows where they just knock it out of the park, but I don't remember him having that many until he did that Batman movie. I remember he did some Goofy movie about being a priest and him and some other guy were being exorcist or something Goofy, it's back in the late 90s early 2000s. I mean I guess he was a gay cowboy at one point, but what else do you really remember him from?

He obviously had the range due to his joker role, and it's a shame that he's dead, and could have probably done a lot of good movies past that, but here we are.

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah but Heath ledger wasn't necessarily known for being diverse in his roles. That's obviously his best acting ever probably in his career. I mean do you really think A Knight's tale was memorable?

I know occasionally actors will have those movies or TV shows where they just knock it out of the park, but I don't remember him having that many until he did that Batman movie. I remember he did some Goofy movie about being a priest and him and some other guy were being exorcist or something Goofy, it's back in the late 90s early 2000s. I mean I guess he was a gay cowboy at one point, but what else do you really remember him from?

He obviously had the range due to his joker role, and it's a shame that he's dead, and could have probably done a lot of good movies past that, but here we are.
Yeah it did not help that Heath Ledger died at the age of 28. He was still young with plenty of years to have potentially played more roles just as engrossing. We will never know, save to admire his final role, which was phenomenal.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

He was great in Brokeback mountain which was not at all like his A Knight's tale role. He was good looking enough that he was getting some of that movie star push in his career but I'm pretty sure he wasn't so interested in that path.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it did not help that Heath Ledger died at the age of 28. He was still young with plenty of years to have potentially played more roles just as engrossing. We will never know, save to admire his final role, which was phenomenal.
I didn't realize he was that young when he died. That's pretty much it though. Guy had potential and I think he would have gotten offered a hell of a lot more good roles and good movies had he still been alive, he was cutting his teeth on generic Hollywood films, and that was easily his best role.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
He was great in Brokeback mountain which was not at all like his A Knight's tale role. He was good looking enough that he was getting some of that movie star push in his career but I'm pretty sure he wasn't so interested in that path.
Never saw that I never cared to, and I like Jake Gyllenhaal as an actor, but he kind of tends to be Jake Gyllenhaal. I watch the director's cut of Zodiac the other day, hey does a good job but he's basically Donnie Darko in the film. He's the same in most movies, he just never transforms into something totally different.

I think the most recent film I saw him in was the Covenant, and that was pretty good and he did a good job, but it wasn't some sort of amazing performance.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Never saw that I never cared to, and I like Jake Gyllenhaal as an actor, but he kind of tends to be Jake Gyllenhaal. I watch the director's cut of Zodiac the other day, hey does a good job but he's basically Donnie Darko in the film. He's the same in most movies, he just never transforms into something totally different.

I think the most recent film I saw him in was the Covenant, and that was pretty good and he did a good job, but it wasn't some sort of amazing performance.
Nightcrawler is a good role for Jake if you haven't seen it. Maximum creep sociopath.

He does give some samey performances but I think he picks a pretty diverse range of films, so I appreciate that. Stuff like Enemy, Nocturnal Animals, Prisoners and Nightcrawler are sharp contrasts to Roadhouse/the day after tomorrow/spiderman.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally an actually decent show to watch.

Low level mafioso stuff plays out so well with the Bat being in the background. The Penguin rising to the top through sheer bloodthirst and cleverness makes for an excellent character.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Nightcrawler is a good role for Jake if you haven't seen it. Maximum creep sociopath.

He does give some samey performances but I think he picks a pretty diverse range of films, so I appreciate that. Stuff like Enemy, Nocturnal Animals, Prisoners and Nightcrawler are sharp contrasts to Roadhouse/the day after tomorrow/spiderman.
Yeah he plays a different character he just doesn't come off in the same way as some of those other actors that I had mentioned earlier. He just sounds the same but his actions and mannerisms, the way he may be delivers his lines.

I agree and Nightcrawler is a great film. There's just something about an actor being able to completely transform themselves into something else, a good example would be Robert Pattinson in The Rover. That movie was maybe made between some of the Twilight movies, or shortly thereafter, but I saw it and I was kind of surprised, low budget film, and if I had a gas he was trying to make certain he wasn't going to get pigeonholed into that pretty boy acting role. Highly suggested if you haven't seen it, great movie, also very subtle post-apocalyptic.