The "Shit I just bought" thread

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I assisted a friend of mine to run an estate sale today; which means I ended up buying crap I don't need. Actually, I bought crap for my nephews without knowing if they need/want it or not.That is what they get for not texting me back in a timely fashion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Video card died today. I was really upset having to replace it :D

Purchased my new card from the local Fry's for the cheapest price you can find it online, which is at B&H

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In my "technology refresh" at work I got a new iPad Pro w/ the apple keyboard (wtf do I need ipads for), iphone 7+, and Apple Watch for "employee fitness tracking." The android users got the samsung equivalents.

Guess Apple is gonna have a good year.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
In my "technology refresh" at work I got a new iPad Pro w/ the apple keyboard (wtf do I need ipads for), iphone 7+, and Apple Watch for "employee fitness tracking." The android users got the samsung equivalents.

I got my work's version of a refresh too. Got a 7+ and a new hp ultrabook (we're heavily Windows-based for operation). Loving the 7+ coming from an android user for the last 4 years.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Lol, "employee fitness tracking". I'm going to use that one on my users as I track their location in Airwatch.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lol, "employee fitness tracking". I'm going to use that one on my users as I track their location in Airwatch.

They tried to force airwatch on our personal phones too. There was a huge revolt and everyone disagreed with letting IT essentially own our phones remotely.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
They tried to force airwatch on our personal phones too. There was a huge revolt and everyone disagreed with letting IT essentially own our phones remotely.

To be fair, it doesn't permit any personal access to your phone-- like it can't be used to access text messages or email. All it can really do is enforce security requirements, push email/wifi configs, access gps location, and disable/enable things like the camera. Remote wipe too of course..

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, it doesn't permit any personal access to your phone-- like it can't be used to access text messages or email. All it can really do is enforce security requirements, push email/wifi configs, access gps location, and disable/enable things like the camera. Remote wipe too of course..

I think that depends entirely on the airwatch profile thats installed, no? All the way from "control over email settings, passcode, remote wipe of email" to "look at your naked pics on camera roll" just depending on the profile and the permissions you give it.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I think that depends entirely on the airwatch profile thats installed, no? All the way from "control over email settings, passcode, remote wipe of email" to "look at your naked pics on camera roll" just depending on the profile and the permissions you give it.

No, there are certain things that Apple won't give API access too, period. No way to access your photos or any personal stuff as far as I know.

Edit: it can get a list of apps installed on your phone, as well as being able to restrict app usage or push down apps.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No, there are certain things that Apple won't give API access too, period. No way to access your photos or any personal stuff as far as I know.

Aha well we got them to fuck off with it anyway, everyone believed they could see our texts and such and were arguing against it.

Go go ignorance! Yay

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Our financial institution clients are requiring it on any phone that connects to our environment, just seems like a matter of time until other clients start requiring that sort of thing. Our attorneys weren't happy about it, that's for sure.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd be fine with it if it was truly a work phone they provided for me. Then you just use it for work and no problems. But on my personal phone...never. I guess the problem is no one wants to carry 2 fucking phones around, so it's easier just to have 1(personal) that you use for work. If and how your company wants to compensate for it is their choice.

But if I buy it, no one else is getting any type of access.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah we provide a stipend every two years for a phone purchase, but there are those who want to keep their personal phone off the firm plan (and even some who carry two). Personal phones don't get firm email unless Airwatch is installed, no exceptions.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
iPhone 7

No complaints so far and the battery is noticeably longer than iPhone 6. Nothing revolutionary besides the fact I can doodle boobs and penises to other users.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Edit: it can get a list of apps installed on your phone, as well as being able to restrict app usage or push down apps.

That's how it starts man!

Siliconemelons

iPhone 7

No complaints so far and the battery is noticeably longer than iPhone 6. Nothing revolutionary besides the fact I can doodle boobs and penises to other users.

Every generation's battery seems better than the last - I swear apple has programmed their batteries to perfectly degrade so by the time the next 2 year cycle generation hits battery's quickly drop in usefulness- source: wifes dumb iphones. She is on the main # cycle so we could up her to a 7, but her 6 still seems fine...for now... or wait for the 7s.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have the 7+ now and holy shit my 6 was at 40% by lunchtime (granted I got it at release so this is 700+ cycles) but the 7+ is still like 75% when I leave work, zero charging.

New phones are great. 7+ is fast as shit.