The Stock Trading and Shitposting thread.

Molten Core Raider
cramer-trump.jpg

well, there goes any chance Trump had at winning.

*note* yes I know this isn't technically investment related ( why it's in the shitposting thread ), I just figured y'all were the only ones that would get the joke.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am not finding any good positions today so I am in a bit of a holding pattern :( all the major index's I monitor are being squished into a massive consolidation that could explode up or down and I do not trust my abilities enough to pick.

I suppose you could say this would be a great time to put a straddle on one of them....but I think I am going to wait a few days and see where we go

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So I’m not a good short term investor. Should I just go cash now and wait for the crash and hop back in?

Down another $900 today Q_Q.

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
So I’m not a good short term investor. Should I just go cash now and wait for the crash and hop back in?

Down another $900 today Q_Q.
You’re trying to time the market bro

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You’re trying to time the market bro

Nah. I’m reading Blazin Blazin posts and listening to my sister.

My sis and bro and law have sold four homes at the top of the market for the last 20 years. She has an uncanny ability to sense it. Last night she said, “It’s time to sell our house again.” I asked why and she said, “I feel it in my gut!”.

Then there’s Blazin’s perspective and the fact that we’ve been running hot for a while. I’m not trying to time anything. I just don’t want to feel the pain.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The LLY position closed out for over 15%! yay

1723127334811.png

New Position taken to replace the close, ELF spread
ELF-spread.png

About a 17k bet, goal is for it to stay above 160 by end of next week. It has a 200DMA and support line at around 160, so I am hoping it does just that! would be 3.5k, gain or a bit under 20%

Chart
elf-chart.png

ELF-spread.png

Last edited:
  • 2Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Nah. I’m reading Blazin Blazin posts and listening to my sister.

My sis and bro and law have sold four homes at the top of the market for the last 20 years. She has an uncanny ability to sense it. Last night she said, “It’s time to sell our house again.” I asked why and she said, “I feel it in my gut!”.

Then there’s Blazin’s perspective and the fact that we’ve been running hot for a while. I’m not trying to time anything. I just don’t want to feel the pain.

There have been 4 "tops of the market" in the last 20 years?

I think your sister just gets bored easily and likes to waste money on fees, interest, and moving costs.

Unless you think she sold at the "top" but also somehow managed to buy the next one she moved in to at the "low" magically.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I think your sister just gets bored easily and likes to waste money on fees, interest, and moving costs.

Unless you think she sold at the "top" but also somehow managed to buy the next one she moved in to at the "low" magically.

They've done incredibly well in the housing market, since they got married. Incredibly well.

You don't have to believe me and I'm not going to try to convince you.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

4 market tops in real estate, I guess it varies alot based on location but the only time I can remember significant real estate price declines was the great recession. All the other times prices of homes at most just stagnated a couple of years.

Everyone has done well in the housing market. Probably half of my net worth has come from the housing market and it’s not cause I tried it’s just because anyone who bought before 2019 has doubled their money. Real estate has been by far the best most stable investment. I mean the only bad years to buy were what? Mid to late 80s and then 05-09? And even there buying the absolute top you were back to break even in 5 years

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Right, his sister and her husband would most likely be better off if they just sat in one house that whole time and then just sold now. Maybe refinancing once or twice in that time frame.

The people they bought from during that time did just as well as they did. The market has just steadily gone up.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
but how do you do well with your primary residence? Aren't you just selling a top and buying a top? They switch to renting? And what ups and downs are we talking about, the housing market has never really gone down accept in certain markets. Calculate the cost of selling taxes and upkeep how do you make money when the best decline ever assuming perfectly timed was only 20%

Doing well in housing just seems a round about way of saying "my currency lost value"
1723385486067.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
but how do you do well with your primary residence? Aren't you just selling a top and buying a top? They switch to renting? And what ups and downs are we talking about, the housing market has never really gone down accept in certain markets. Calculate the cost of selling taxes and upkeep how do you make money when the best decline ever assuming perfectly timed was only 20%

Doing well in housing just seems a round about way of saying "my currency lost value"
View attachment 540755

Well it used to do well for the realtors.

Though I suppose the real answer is what proportion of annual income does the average house make up (principal payments only). So no doubt everyone took a 25% haircut in 3 years, but the other stat is the actual % of real income going to housing. It's a pretty big change as I recall. Keeping aside interest, people who bought a house in say 2018-2019 probably spend 15-30% less of their income on housing. So there are definitely 'worse losers' even if no one is a winner, which is some sort of economic benefit I suppose.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well it used to do well for the realtors.

Though I suppose the real answer is what proportion of annual income does the average house make up (principal payments only). So no doubt everyone took a 25% haircut in 3 years, but the other stat is the actual % of real income going to housing. It's a pretty big change as I recall. Keeping aside interest, people who bought a house in say 2018-2019 probably spend 15-30% less of their income on housing. So there are definitely 'worse losers' even if no one is a winner, which is some sort of economic benefit I suppose.
Yeah don't disagree there is still Good timing and bad timing but not sure I would couch it in terms of making money from an investment standpoint. Most of the pain in housing doesn't come from price drops it comes from people burrowing near 100% or even more at peak crazy then feeling squeezed. The thing that happens at housing peaks is people climbing higher up the cost structure than they ever should, then a decline is people returning to more normal levels of encumbrance until the process repeats.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Right, his sister and her husband would most likely be better off if they just sat in one house that whole time and then just sold now. Maybe refinancing once or twice in that time frame.

The people they bought from during that time did just as well as they did. The market has just steadily gone up.

I like how you have asked zero questions and have no information and you’re making wild leaps about what would have been better 😂

Bruh.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 540755

I guess my perspective has blinders for sure. They’ve used every sell of a house to buy a “better” house and have typically moved into nicer areas…which is a bit of a misnomer bc everywhere they’ve lived as been nice.

They bought in ‘08, sold and bought around ‘13, then sold again and bought around ‘17. Their family was growing during this time and they needed more space and equity was falling from the sky. However, each house they sold was bc they received unsolicited offers that were HIGH compared to comps.

So, even tho the last 16 years of home buying has been easy mode, idk a lot of people that got offered wads of cash without ever having to list their homes twice in a row.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
They may have a good eye for desirable homes plus do a good job of taking care of and improving it plus live in areas of above avg demand .

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just so people don't think I always post wins.

That ELF position dropped 8% today and ripped right through both 200DMA and support line. So, if it stays at it's current position it is a total loss :( My first total loss in a while actually. However it is outside the lower BB, oversold, and I am hoping a bit of an overreaction of the earnings.

I really have only 2 choices at this point:

1. Let it sit and see if it will recover enough to either turn profitable or at least not be a total loss
  2. Get assigned 470k of ELF(yuk) and then try to sell CC's on it for the next 6 months until I can find an opportunity to unload

Ahhh well, can't win em all and I probably would have played this one again because of the multiple levels of support. My other positions are doing well at least!