The Zionists are whining thread

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Is my "criticism" justified if I was born in Florida? You know...the same way if a Jew were to criticize Isreal?
Considering Miami/Ft-Lauderdale essentially become Laval de Sud during the winter months, right down to the Poutine stands, not really..

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Your hatred for the French Canadians is on par with the Muslims. I guess I understand...
Ce n'est pas qu'il te d?teste comme si t'?tais musulman, c'est plut?t qu'il pense que ton opinion ne vaut rien ? cause que tu habites dans une ville portant une attitude oppressive contre les anglophones. En effet, il ny a aucun lien entre o? tu habites et ta capacit? ? comprendre ce qui se passe dans le monde, mais il n'est pas capable de justifier son ignorance sans faire des commentaires qui n'ont aucun rapport au sujet. Ce n'est pas surprenant, car c'est de ce fa?on que plusieurs personnes participent i?i.

(Excusez mon fran?ais, je suis en train d'?tudier pour mon examen samedi, et le seul fa?on que je peux justifier d'ajouter une commentaire i?i est si je le fais en fran?ais.)

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, linking an article like that as some sort of proof is at the very least proof that SOME of us aren't getting any smarter.

Now if that's the same thing as getting stupider isn't even arguable. It isn't the same thing.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Mail Online, and it's contents should never be used as a source of facts. Every one of their articles is maybe 5-10% fact with 95-90% sensationalism.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Stopped reading at intellectual peak. Honestly Arakkis I couldn't care less about any argument that involves IQ. It's a nebulous and useless metric to me.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Your hatred for the French Canadians is on par with the Muslims. I guess I understand...
Nah man, it's not even *close*. First off, French Canadians are secular. I don't think I've ever met one under the age of 65 that had any interest in Catholicism. Just by nature of the fact that they're secular is an "auto-win" in my book. 2nd of all, French Canadians don't demonstrate any intrinsic tendencies towards violence, let alone blowing themselves up in their god's name. In the grand scheme of things, with what is going on in the world, French Canadians are probably somewhere at the bottom of my list of concerns... Not to mention they probably run the best strip clubs in the world lol.

If I have a gripe with French Canadians, it's that their paranoid sense of nationalism and "ethnic protection" has pushed them towards electing governments that outright oppress the English via outrageously discriminatory laws, push them into enclaves by shutting down English schools, and shoot the economy in the foot by implementing laws that push English/foreign investment away. They have *literally* been cleansing English from the province ever since I was a kid. Unless you happen to be a perfectly bilingual Anglophone, your job prospects in Montreal are nil.

So, I find it pretty ironic when French Canadians think it's totally cool to oppress/discriminate/cleanse the English, yet they as a group are pretty fervent critics of Israel for the exact same things they perpetrate. It's just hypocrisy.

tanoomba_sl said:
il ny a aucun lien entre o? tu habites et ta capacit? ? comprendre ce qui se passe dans le monde, mais il n'est pas capable de justifier son ignorance sans faire des commentaires qui n'ont aucun rapport au sujet
See above.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So, I find it pretty ironic when French Canadians think it's totally cool to oppress/discriminate/cleanse the English, yet they as a group are pretty fervent critics of Israel for the exact same things they perpetrate. It's just hypocrisy.
On the other hand, don't you think anglophones in Quebec know that "anti-English" oppression at least as well as any outside observer? Shouldn't that make an Anglo Quebeckers' criticism of Israel more valid instead of less valid? We're the ones being oppressed, after all. How is that hypocrisy?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
On the other hand, don't you think anglophones in Quebec know that "anti-English" oppression at least as well as any outside observer? Shouldn't that make an Anglo Quebeckers' criticism of Israel more valid instead of less valid? We're the ones being oppressed, after all. How is that hypocrisy?
Have the English suicide bombed French school busses or cafes on St-Denis? Executed "collaborators/sympathizers" of the French? Launched rockets from Westmount into Dorval? Written a "Charter of English Quebecers" that calls for the extermination of all the French? What have the English done over the last 30 years to provide any justification for their ethnic cleansing?

Mire_sl

shitlord
So, I find it pretty ironic when French Canadians think it's totally cool to oppress/discriminate/cleanse the English, yet they as a group are pretty fervent critics of Israel for the exact same things they perpetrate. It's just hypocrisy. See above.
As an Anglophone living in a province that is mostly French, I understand that I have to be able to speak French, the same way an immigrant from Mexico should be able to speak English in the U.S. In this case, I am in the minority. As an English speaker, I absolutely detest the French laws which try to inhibit the English community from growing (such as forcing children to go to French school). There is nothing I hate more than laws such as the old bill 101.

On the other hand, when I put myself in a Francophone's shoes, I UNDERSTAND why they're doing this. This is not to say that I condone their actions. The French in Quebec are surrounded by English speaking provinces. Most big businesses in the downtown area of Montreal are English and originated either from other provinces in Canada or the U.S. Regardless of how many laws they pass or whatever stupid actions they take, they will have to cooperate with the English for (at the very least) business reasons.

The French see this as a threat to their culture, which I guess is somewhat true. If they were to NOT make any laws or create restrictions for Anglophones, the French speakers would be assimilated to English even faster than they are now. I see this as the French "reacting" to the English "threat". Is it the best approach to preserve the French language and culture? Maybe not. But I don't hate them FOR TRYING to preserve their language. I can't really blame any group of people for trying to preserve their identity, but I can criticize how they do it. I see it relating Israel / Palestine pretty well (minus targeting children and blowing shit up).

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Have the English suicide bombed French school busses or cafes on St-Denis? Executed "collaborators/sympathizers" of the French? Launched rockets from Westmount into Dorval? Written a "Charter of English Quebecers" that calls for the extermination of all the French? What have the English done over the last 30 years to provide any justification for their ethnic cleansing?
As has been said, their very existence "threatens" French culture and language. However, that is besides the point.

You said Mire's opinion was worthless because he lived in a society that oppresses English speakers, so he has no right to criticize another society that oppresses another group. When I pointed out that he is part of the oppressed and not oppressors, you moved the goalpost and said that because the reasons for said oppression aren't the same, that his opinion is still invalid. Basically, only someone who has the same background and opinion as you has a valid opinion, apparently.

It's fucking stupid to dismiss what somebody says because of where they live, where they were born, where they were brought up, what nationality they are, or any other reason than WHAT THEY'RE ACTUALLY SAYING. If someone says something stupid that goes against evidence that is available to everybody, then by all means dismiss it. But if someone says something you simplydon't like, pretending it "doesn't count" because of reasons as arbitrary as where that person lives is weak and lazy.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Oompa, the french weeabo yaoi and his trusty sidekick Longmire versus Wombat, the islamophobe.

I think Oompa and Longmire have got Wombat on the ropes, but be careful guys, Wombat gets +2/+2 for every link posted on the page.

*popcorn*

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
As an Anglophone living in a province that is mostly French, I understand that I have to be able to speak French, the same way an immigrant from Mexico should be able to speak English in the U.S. In this case, I am in the minority. As an English speaker, I absolutely detest the French laws which try to inhibit the English community from growing (such as forcing children to go to French school). There is nothing I hate more than laws such as the old bill 101.

On the other hand, when I put myself in a Francophone's shoes, I UNDERSTAND why they're doing this. This is not to say that I condone their actions. The French in Quebec are surrounded by English speaking provinces. Most big businesses in the downtown area of Montreal are English and originated either from other provinces in Canada or the U.S. Regardless of how many laws they pass or whatever stupid actions they take, they will have to cooperate with the English for (at the very least) business reasons.

The French see this as a threat to their culture, which I guess is somewhat true. If they were to NOT make any laws or create restrictions for Anglophones, the French speakers would be assimilated to English even faster than they are now. I see this as the French "reacting" to the English "threat". Is it the best approach to preserve the French language and culture? Maybe not. But I don't hate them FOR TRYING to preserve their language. I can't really blame any group of people for trying to preserve their identity, but I can criticize how they do it. I see it relating Israel / Palestine pretty well (minus targeting children and blowing shit up).
So you're trying to tell me that you're an Anglophone that holds dual US/Canadian citizenship (since you were born in Florida) yet you choose to live in a province that oppresses you, when not only could you live anywhere in Canada, but the US as well? Sorry, I don't buy that. If you are really an Anglophone, you certainly have the most compassionate view concerning your subjugation that I've ever heard spoken from a native English speaking Quebecer.

If they were to NOT make any laws or create restrictions for Anglophones, the French speakers would be assimilated to English even faster than they are now
Right. The Parti Quebecois mantra right here, along with a perceived "threat", despite English speaking Quebecers not actively threatening the French with *anything* besides the fact they exist and speak English. If anything, the threat comes from the educated French that *want* their children to receive an English education so that they can function in North America as whole, rather than being a unilingual that can't function outside of Quebec. With or without the laws, French is not going anywhere--that is total French Nationalist bullshit. Outside of Montreal, areas like Quebec city, trois-rivieres, and Saguenay have 95+% French native speakers. Who the hell is going to "assimilate" them, with or without laws erected under the guise of "protecting" them?

So, I'm glad you can muster up some contradictory apologetic/sympathetic condemnation for the French ethnic cleansing the English away out of paranoid fear (despite the fact that the English have actively done NOTHING to warrant it), yet obviously can manage little of the same for Israel when their version of "The English Problem" actively tries to kill them every day.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I think they'll be assimilated by UK/USA/CAN/AUS/NZ media if they don't do something. English culture is the most powerful culture in the world by virtually any metric. Even China and India export english media.

English is the international language of air travel (all pilots and air traffic controllers speak conversational english) and theofficial language of many governments where nobody is english. Several international companies like Nokia and SAP have english as their official language even though they're based in countries with nothing of the sort. Most of the big software programs are written in english based code, including languages developed by non-english countries such as Python and Ruby. English is rapidly becoming the de facto language throughout the EU, and recently the german president seriously suggested english should be the sole official language of the EU as they spend a lot of time and money making official translations. For all the french obsession with culture, they're fucking terrible at spreading it.

English is the big tent. French is the beautiful tent. If the french don't put guards on theirs, it will just become another patch in the big tent. Mandarin is the other big tent. Everyone else is just garnish by comparison to these two, and the french don't like that.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I think they'll be assimilated by UK/USA/CAN/AUS/NZ media if they don't do something. English culture is the most powerful culture in the world by virtually any metric. Even China and India export english media.

English is the international language of air travel (all pilots and air traffic controllers speak conversational english) and theofficial language of many governments where nobody is english. Several international companies like Nokia and SAP have english as their official language even though they're based in countries with nothing of the sort. Most of the big software programs are written in english based code, including languages developed by non-english countries such as Python and Ruby. English is rapidly becoming the de facto language throughout the EU, and recently the german president seriously suggested english should be the sole official language of the EU as they spend a lot of time and money making official translations. For all the french obsession with culture, they're fucking terrible at spreading it.

English is the big tent. French is the beautiful tent. If the french don't put guards on theirs, it will just become another patch in the big tent. Mandarin is the other big tent. Everyone else is just garnish by comparison to these two, and the french don't like that.
Exactly correct, and the rest of the world embraces it, or at least lives with it, because the recognize it as a need to stay competitive in todays global economy. The laws Quebec enacts to "protect" itself only cause more harm than good, because they can really only a) affect their own population, or b) stymie outside investment. All these other countries that allow companies to setup shop in English for the betterment of their economy? That isn't allowed in Quebec. Your company must operate locally in French.

They can't stop the internet from being viewed in English (though they try on a local level--Quebec based web servers need to be in French), and they can't stop people from watching US TV/movies. Their laws only harm their economy and population without actually accomplishing anything except forcing English people to leave and making sure their own French population can barely speak English. Nevertheless, US and English Canadian media has been piped into Quebec for years, yet the French speaking population still thrives. There's seven million of them, a lot who never even get exposure to English beyond the media-- they aren't going anywhere.