Thor: Love and Thunder (2021)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I "finished it", as in that I started skipping.

It's like they had a few cool ideas, then just went all in on them, all the time. So much repeating too. The humor fell flat more than it hit.

Not sure how to explain it. Ragnarok, which I enjoyed, the humor were mostly one liners that seemed to flow/fit the scenes naturally, so they worked.
Here it felt like the scenes were made to set up the one liners, and not just a few lines, but "comedy skits?"

Where Ragnarok was action comedy, this was comedy action. But with the comedy being memeish and while a few were funny once, they just kept .... doing the same things. And everything was a joke or treated as such, from characters to events, so any sort of gravity of any situation fell flat.

I'd actually would think Bale would be upset with this. Doing his best to channel a character filled with loss and anger, and doing a great job at that, only for it to be washed away with literal goat memes.

Did not like.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
16 minutes into it, what a stupid piece of shit so far.

Does this get any better?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have to say, when a movie makes me appreciate the dark elves of Thor 2....

This felt like a 2 hour Saturday Night Live skit making fun of the Thor movies. They have that moment where they show the play again and you feel like the whole movie is that play. The goats made me chuckle but of course they took that all the way back to the meme. The hammer choosing Jane Foster felt out of place because it "Just happened". Honestly that could have been a story all by itself. I could have seen a movie that explored the reasoning behind the choice and how she handled suddenly having that kind of power. Instead we get a "Oh look she has the hammer because it chose her" origin moment(And I do mean moment). Nothing means anything in this movie.

This was bad and feels odd watching the pendulum swing from the awesome movie of Ragnarok all the way to this movie.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
16 minutes into it, what a stupid piece of shit so far.

Does this get any better?
thor table flip GIF

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Finally watched this last night. The goats were literally the funniest part of the movie, and only
because I find their screams funny in real life, too.

But anyhow, here's my simple review. That problems Marvel is facing right now are basically
two-fold:

1. All comedy, all the time. In this, I had a hard time taking Bale's character seriously because
I kept waiting for the unnecessary joke to pop in. Or Mighty Thor's cancer because, oh look,
she's back again. Stop trying to force comedy around every turn and let us have our
serious moment, too. And have them actually mean something. And then... when it IS time
to be funny, be fucking funny like Bill Burr sometimes, and not I Love Lucy all the time.

2. The Message. Look, the chicks fainting when Thor's clothes get ripped off was funny, and
the rest of the scene still could have worked if you stopped there. But literally the entire scene,
just like the rest of the movie, was so intentionally silly/stupid that there are absolutely no stakes
on the line here. No threat. "The oldest and wisest" God is a fucking buffoon who falls victim to
his own secret weapon? Come on, man. "The Left" really needs to stop trying to destroy everything
with their commentary. All gods are idiots, including the HERO of HIS movie who would have failed
if not for always competent female companions. Etc. The list goes fucking on.

I give this a 3/10 just because of the goats and the women fainting.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am still mad about this shit because when watching, you could see the brief glimpses of a decent, serious movie in there. But everytime something remotely serious was shown on the screen, it was immediately followed, and ruined, by dumb ass attempts at making jokes. It was the most retarded thing ever and probably the worst movie I have ever watched and I have seen Battlefield Earth. Fuck this shit, give me my 2 hours back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Just finished it and not nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

Might have a different opinion if I was expecting something serious, but after Ragnarok why would you?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure how accurate but someone had said they had read/watched an interview that Taika had several safeguards in place in Ragnorok that kept him in check but once he achieved the success, they gave him the green light and let him make the movie he wanted. That felt like the case for me. I felt the humor was in appropriate doses and landed a little more in Ragnorok but was relentless and poorly timed in L&T.

Gorr was a really good character. One that could have possibly been a Thor trilogy type character but so much was wasted under the ignorance that never seemed to let up. Some of Taika's humor is great. It obviously worked in Ragnorok but it's extremely frustrating they ran the story and characters into the ground with this movie.

If Taika doesn't want to work with a filter, then its probably best he walks away. I don't think the MCU is a good fit for him. Maybe a Disney+ series where he can do whatever he wants but I think the MCU fanbase expects a certain quality and standard. Humor certainly has its place..... Antman, GotG, etc. all work awesome but I can't even count the amount of wrong and missed opportunities in L&T. Shame...

Holy shit this movie is terrible.

I "finished it", as in that I started skipping.

It's like they had a few cool ideas, then just went all in on them, all the time. So much repeating too. The humor fell flat more than it hit.

Not sure how to explain it. Ragnarok, which I enjoyed, the humor were mostly one liners that seemed to flow/fit the scenes naturally, so they worked.
Here it felt like the scenes were made to set up the one liners, and not just a few lines, but "comedy skits?"

Where Ragnarok was action comedy, this was comedy action. But with the comedy being memeish and while a few were funny once, they just kept .... doing the same things. And everything was a joke or treated as such, from characters to events, so any sort of gravity of any situation fell flat.

I'd actually would think Bale would be upset with this. Doing his best to channel a character filled with loss and anger, and doing a great job at that, only for it to be washed away with literal goat memes.

Did not like.

I have to say, when a movie makes me appreciate the dark elves of Thor 2....

This felt like a 2 hour Saturday Night Live skit making fun of the Thor movies. They have that moment where they show the play again and you feel like the whole movie is that play. The goats made me chuckle but of course they took that all the way back to the meme. The hammer choosing Jane Foster felt out of place because it "Just happened". Honestly that could have been a story all by itself. I could have seen a movie that explored the reasoning behind the choice and how she handled suddenly having that kind of power. Instead we get a "Oh look she has the hammer because it chose her" origin moment(And I do mean moment). Nothing means anything in this movie.

This was bad and feels odd watching the pendulum swing from the awesome movie of Ragnarok all the way to this movie.

Pretty much how I feel about it so far.

Waititi managed to find a niche for Thor that wasnt super serious like the Cap and Iron Man films because its hard to take the Thor universe seriously. Its just a bunch of ripped off Norse mythology stuffed into Marvel. Everyone knows it and just nods and plays along. Its probably almost impossible to do a serious film like Winter Soldier or Civil War with Thor. But because Waititi finally kind of managed to stumble on something that worked with Thor in the 3rd film, he thought everyone wanted 20x more of that.

Remember those parody films from the 2000s like Scary Movie, Date Movie, Meet The Spartans, etc.? If you do Ragnarok x 20 in one film, thats what you get. They could have easily called it "The Superhero Movie" and marketed as a MCU spoof.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Might have a different opinion if I was expecting something serious, but after Ragnarok why would you?

I didnt expect something entirely serious, but I also didn't expect to see this:

1662659254812.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

I expected Ragnarok. I got Clownrok instead.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Gorr was definitely an odd choice of a villain for a comedy first movie.

Only real "woke" feeling was when Korg talking about his 2 dad's and asking Valkyrie about girlfriends back-to-back. Though even that was mitigated by her oggling naked Thor

Otherwise, Zeus getting beat by his own lightning bolt as a left thing is retarded since it was done by another white male and when a black female had the same weapon she was also defeated by it.

I did know the main complaint was too much comedy, so I was expecting that and am a Thor fanboy so I'm clearly biased as well.

Oh yeah, those goats were far more annoying than they were funny

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the goats had not screamed until they hit the planet, it would have been funny. Also, golden moment lost by not having Zeus yell " Are you not entertained"? when he did his big entrance. If they had just limited the laugh attempts it would have made the laugh moments a lot better.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Yeah it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although I'm glad I didn't go to the cinema.

I can understand the complaints about Taika going too far. This was just a nothing movie. The shift from Thor 1 and it's semi Shakespearean tone with Kenneth Branagh, to this, is quite something lol

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Finally watched this last night. The goats were literally the funniest part of the movie, and only
because I find their screams funny in real life, too.

But anyhow, here's my simple review. That problems Marvel is facing right now are basically
two-fold:

1. All comedy, all the time. In this, I had a hard time taking Bale's character seriously because
I kept waiting for the unnecessary joke to pop in. Or Mighty Thor's cancer because, oh look,
she's back again. Stop trying to force comedy around every turn and let us have our
serious moment, too. And have them actually mean something. And then... when it IS time
to be funny, be fucking funny like Bill Burr sometimes, and not I Love Lucy all the time.

2. The Message. Look, the chicks fainting when Thor's clothes get ripped off was funny, and
the rest of the scene still could have worked if you stopped there. But literally the entire scene,
just like the rest of the movie, was so intentionally silly/stupid that there are absolutely no stakes
on the line here. No threat. "The oldest and wisest" God is a fucking buffoon who falls victim to
his own secret weapon? Come on, man. "The Left" really needs to stop trying to destroy everything
with their commentary. All gods are idiots, including the HERO of HIS movie who would have failed
if not for always competent female companions. Etc. The list goes fucking on.

I give this a 3/10 just because of the goats and the women fainting.
both those gags were in the trailer. i usually rate movies by the stuff not in the trailer as in what you actually paid to see.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished watching this. It was bad, the humor wasn’t good, not a lot of actually funny lines or situations. The worse part is that it turned everything into a joke. The god city was a joke, Zeus was a joke.

I liked Thor the Dark World better to be honest, and thats at the bottom of the list.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This movie is so horrible. I had it on while doing house work and it was completely unwatchable. I would easily watch Dark World over this shit. I heard it was bad but never expected it to be something that terrible

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This movie is so horrible. I had it on while doing house work and it was completely unwatchable. I would easily watch Dark World over this shit. I heard it was bad but never expected it to be something that terrible
But is it worse than Capt Marvel?