Total War: Warhammer

turbo

Molten Core Raider
100%, the game is great and you can easily sink 100+ hours into if it scratches that itch. While i can see people's points to an extent on DLC cost, end of the day the base game is worth every penny and personally i don't see an issue with a $17 add on if it provides another 30+ hours worth of entertainment for me. Fuck a movie costs that much for 1.5 hours and i get alot more enjoyment out of a game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
If I don't care where the aggregate costs two years down the line end up, is the base game for suggested retail worth the money? I already bought it a few weeks but I'm too busy right now, wondering if I should sell/gift it to my brother or keep for later. (I guess "worth it" would be 30+ hours of fun without having to buy content).
If you like the genre and the like the setting, you'll easily get 30 hours out of the base game. I've clocked 20ish hours and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I am slowly getting a handle on this game. Tried vampires on normal, made it to round 120ish before chaos came through and devasted everything I held, I might have stood a chance if I wasn't also being assaulted by the empire from the other side.

Tried Empire but playing humans in a game where you can play other races didn't seem all that appealing.

Orcs are interesting, I really enjoy their WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH effects, large armies for cheap, but the have to fight at least every few rounds and that isn't always a good call.

Dwarves seem to be my sweet spot and their high leadership allows me to pull out some wins no other race would manage. Playing them like merchants with every race but orcs and beastmen, I have some decent alliances going.

• 1Solidarity

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Yeah, Vamps are tough because they are in the worst geographic position, its like the end of a highway of shit. Vargs then Chaos hordes continuously. I had some success shoehorning around and reestablishing in the Wissenheim area.

I don't like Dwarfs because of the lack of mobility. Fucking Missile Cav in outrageous amounts makes life suck.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Orcs are the worst geographic start. They're surrounded on all sides and their initial region is a shitfest to defend because the dwarves/orcs can tunnel all around the fucking mountains and attack everywhere at once. Dwarfs are a bit similar but not as bad cause the other dwarfs tend to be cool/ally with you so that puts everything north and west being pretty tame unless the vampires decide to fuck you, leaving a slow and steady progression south.

Vampires are fine as long as you don't go to war with the dwarves, until chaos hits but that happens quite late. You do need a strategy though, you either conquer the north to solidify a line of defense against chaos, or you conquer west to fuck the empire before chaos hits. North is easier but harder to defend once chaos start if the empire grows strong during the time, west is harder once you reach the center of the empire but if you raze them it's an easy win from there. If you kinda go both ways, Chaos will hit before you're done with either in general, and then you don't have a strong north buffer to protect you and the empire is going to mess with you in the west at the same time. Although all can be solved by sheer power by leaving shitty armies in heavily upgraded settlements on the edges that border the empire and making high tier strong armies to go fight the chaos in a decisive battle(preferably with Lightning Strike). That's a matter of building your economy efficiently from the start so you're rolling in cash by the time chaos arrives though.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Assuming you're not playing on the higher difficulties, where diplomacy starts to get fucked up, the Empire's probably the easiest starting position. Once you take out the secessionists, you've generally got a nice buffer between you and all your "natural enemies", so you can make nice with all the human and dwarven factions and work on confederating, and start building up your forces for when you do share a border with one of the baddies.

And yeah, for both Empire and Vamps (at least I found it so for the Empire), it's probably best to prioritize taking control of the southern half of the Empire before moving north; that way you've got all the northern factions to use as meat shields against Chaos, and you've generally put your economic centers beyond Chaos' reach.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
All the races? 2–4 years. And even if we get an all-in-one bundle, it'll probably be in the $150 range at minimum, and even that seems optimistic.

Last edited:

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
The Beastman vs Boris Todbringer campaign is pretty fun. Very cool direction, hopefully they continue with the mini campaigns.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I played one play through as Chaos, and it got boring after a while since you basically have 1-2 armies and just move around pillaging and raping. Is it much deeper with the other factions? I know they nerfed a lot of the economy stuff from previous total Wars.

Also this game makes me sad GW nuked Warhammer. Have about 5000pts of Chaos I spent years painting (and won painting awards for too) that is currently collecting dust. Fuck GW.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, as I understand it, the horde factions tend to be more barebones and straightforward than the other factions, since they have no territory management or defense, and generally can field fewer armies. The campaigns for the others have more meat to them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I got kinda bored playing Chaos, it's better played after other factions, but even then it's kinda meh imo. There were some good parts, and the combat was pretty fun since I like some of their units(my dragon ogre only army in endgame was hilariously broken). Other factions are definitely more interesting to play imo.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Dwarfs were pretty cool with all the damn grudges you had to keep track of and strike them from the Book of Grudges. Forces you to deal with more then just your own plans, which in my experience made the game a little bit harder.

Falwell

Who loves ya baby?
Finished my first playthrough yesterday as the Vamps. Enjoyed it quite a bit but holy fuck, weeding the Dwarves out of the mountains with the vampire attrition is a massive pain the dick. Do yourself a favor, prep those territories with corruption LONG before you ever set foot in em. Also, Terrorgheists for life.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Beastmen are a horde army, but fun as fuck to play. All hit and run stuff. Lots of ambushing. Very Very fast in combat. Also, Cygors for life. Best artillery.

• 1Like

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Am I the only one who plays the Total War series without setting my foot on a battlefield? I just play the "grand strategy" version, fuck the grunts.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Am I the only one who plays the Total War series without setting my foot on a battlefield? I just play the "grand strategy" version, fuck the grunts.

I played the hell out of the old Total War's like that. I would say at about 35% world control, battles get exhausting to me. My main goal at that point for just world domination. But thats whats great about these games. Or at least in the past, Im not sure on this one. But just simply map control strategy and empire building was and could be its own game.

Cool pvp battle

That was a pretty boss battle.