Total War: Warhammer

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I want me some Dark Elf DLC.
There's no Dark Elves anymore, just Elves.
frown.png

Part of me died saying that.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
What, no Uzi crossbolts?
Aelfs, previously the Elves. They are split into three main groups:

Highborn, previously the High Elves
Exiles, previously the Dark Elves.
Wanderers, previously the elven portion of the Wood Elves.

They're all part of the same faction, called the Order Grand Alliance. There's contrived bullshit reasons for it in Age of Sigmar.

Thankfully Total War: Warhammer is based on 8th edition so we hopefully won't see any of that garbage.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, this isn't any Age of Sigmar idiocy. This is good ol'fashioned Warhammer. I don't expect any of that crap because the Greenskins, Empire, Bretiona, Chaos and all of them seem to be without it.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, this isn't any Age of Sigmar idiocy. This is good ol'fashioned Warhammer. I don't expect any of that crap because the Greenskins, Empire, Bretiona, Chaos and all of them seem to be without it.
I need my repeater bolt throwers and mostly naked blood-smeared hot elf bitches to charge the enemy with.

Dark_Elf_Witch_Elves_8th_Edition_Miniatures.jpg

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i wanted to start tabletop warhammer again, then read about age of sigmar

unsure how GW keeps on trucking on

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The best thing is the Total War launcher having an ad that says something like, "you've played the game, now buy the models!" with a link to GW's site; I got a good long chuckle out of that. Yes, you've completed your Empire campaign, now's the time to start collecting your Sigmarines army.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Aelfs, previously the Elves. They are split into three main groups:

Highborn, previously the High Elves
Exiles, previously the Dark Elves.
Wanderers, previously the elven portion of the Wood Elves.

They're all part of the same faction, called the Order Grand Alliance. There's contrived bullshit reasons for it in Age of Sigmar.

Thankfully Total War: Warhammer is based on 8th edition so we hopefully won't see any of that garbage.
I think as a DLC, it'd be interesting to have access to the end of times armies and shit, so you can just combine a bunch of armies together. But yeah otherwise it's based off 8th so Dark Elves will be separate. Doubt they'll be added before the first major expansion(or second), as it's likely they'll add high elves/dark elves/lizardmen together or some thing like that.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Wow, just read up on that Age of Sigmar shit, what a joke. I only follow the WH setting very casually (no interest in the miniatures, although I knew some people who played as a teenager, but I like to play the better video games and read some of the 40k books, but I'm trying to imagine how anyone would stick with the game after such a massive butchering. Now I'm really fucking glad Total War used the previous edition.

Still hoping someone puts out a Mass Effect style RPG in 40k before they butcher that setting too.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Wow, I've been out of touch with WH too and that Age of Sigmar shit sounds like the desperate last gasps of a failing company. I know WH has always been a niche hobby and interest...but I hope they are doing better than that? I know some friends who told me the rules needed work about 4-5 years ago. Was that shit the answer?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wow, I've been out of touch with WH too and that Age of Sigmar shit sounds like the desperate last gasps of a failing company. I know WH has always been a niche hobby and interest...but I hope they are doing better than that? I know some friends who told me the rules needed work about 4-5 years ago. Was that shit the answer?
From what I've heard, they didn't do Age of Sigmar because of the rules or whatever, they did it so they could render pretty much every old figurine obsolete and get people to buy the new ones. Since the universe had stalled for a while, people were using their old gen figurine for whatever unit and heroes that never got changed(like mannfred, karl franz and so on) instead of buying the new ones. But by basically killing everybody but a few people and merging armies together giving them new appearance, banners and whatever the fuck, anyone who wants to play Age of Sigmar kinda has to rebuy most of their armies.

They're apparently doing pretty fucking poorly, which is a large reason why they've been selling their IPs to everyone who wants it now, while say 10years ago, they were very particular about the games being made with WH Fantasy and WH40K IPs. That's why there's like a dozen of warhammer games coming out lately/soonish.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
wsqI1gq.jpg

I started playing Total War with Shogun when I was around 8, and I've owned every game, every DLC. It's probably my favorite video game series in continuous production, and I remember when the Battle AI was really difficult due to soldiers not having to deal with clipping due to 2d models. I've got 1800 hours in Shogun 2, over a thousand in Atilla, and so forth.

Total War: Warhammer has been my favorite, but not only that I have played my most difficult battle ever on just turn 8 as Empire Legendary. Savage Orcs and Skullcrushers were heading towards the east of Reikland, so I sent a general there, while I finished consolidating Reikland with my Emperor and his skeleton force.

Franz was leveled as a soldier, full yellow, and a warhose, with only a decent sword. Nothing else. All of my infantry units were between 40-60% health, with one full halbadier unit. Franz was at 70%. The only saving grace was that I had one each of a 90%+ bronze chevron Crossbowmen, one silver chevron Handgunner, and one silver chevron Reiksgard.

My 643 men were attacked by a 16-unit stack (8 swordsmen, 4 spearmen, 1 crossbowmen, and a general) on legendary without walls. My garrison was 5 units with 7 men each (more harm than help). By all means this was the end of my campaign. Normally, when I lose I don't save-scum but something about this battle seamed winnable. So I started out trying different strategies on full speed like Mark Whatney farming potatoes in his shit, and finally I found one that gave me a miniscule chance of success.

It wasn't the Reiksgard that saved the day, it was the Handgunners. Without them,even with another 3 units of Swordsmen, I'd have stood no chance. Their fear damage is too crucial, it's just an absolutely necessity along with lining up some good shots.

So I put my full strength units in Missile Front formation on a hill, which was one Spearman, one Halbadier, one Crossbowmen, one Handgunner, and m Emperor. I also set my 7-men garrisons behind my lines as pickets, so when my line fell they'd temporarilly hault the advancing army for a second giving time for my skirmishers to gain distance. I put one 50 man Swordsman in the forest to the right, one 50 man stack of Spearman in the forest to the left, and my Reiksgard in the forest to the right.

I immediately ran my "hidden" troops out of the forest and towards the nemy, each had one job. To bait as many units as possible and run them to the edge of the map before doing, and in the chaos for the Reiksgard to kill their sole Crossbowmen and then retreat to my lines. Even with 1/3 of their army broken off, the rest came barreling up that hill. You want to know how long Spearman and Halbadiers can hold off 9 infantr units? Not long, not on legendary.

My plan was to send my Halbadiers straight towards their general, inflct a bit of damage, but most importantly soak it up. Then focus fire all of my Handgunners on their General, while running mine in from behind, General souffle, and I was able to kill him off relatively quick every time. This still left 1532 very angry troops with very high morale.

I'd use my Emperor as a one man picket, holding off 3-4 units at a time as a boss, while my skirmishers fired all around him . Friendly fire is difficult to achieve in a 1 v 600. When they were about to overun, I'd pull everyone back to the second hill, reset my lines, and begin again trying to get a few good volleys off. I just kept resetting while my Emperor was slowly bieing whittled away,

Even at the end, it was 7 units vs ammo-less Handgunners/Crossbowmen, absolutely no infantry left,, and my Emperor who wasn't tooo far from losing it,,, Using him to tank the damage, I just charged them in and instantly a mass route occurred... but for me? Completely unexpected.The most difficult battle in 20 years of Total War took place in turn 8 with t1 units.God damn was I happy to see that victory sign.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For those who are familiar with XCOM, it's a game based on chance. There's an option which prevents you from reloading, ever, just as in real life. If an enemy soldier lands a 3% chance lucky strike crit and kills your team captain, you have to make do. You have to plan a solution, implement it, create stop-gaps, and the entire time you play you have one thing in mind:, "When will Murphy's Law strike?", and that's even if you play perfectly.

Those who play XCOM with Hardcore on, versus off, say they wouldn't even bother a full playthrough of the game if they were able to save-scum (reload anytime an undesirable event happens).

You can't reload in real life, and you can't beat a computer no matter how challenging if you're the Omega from Edge of Tomorrow. No matter how **** of a player you are, you can beat very hard if you save-scum enough. It's cheating.

Now for those of you who say, "well just don't do it!" I present this situation:
For instance, you have a max rank general.

He gets instant-gibbed by an artillery strike at the outset of a battle by pure luck. This general you've been leveling the entire game.

A general so strong, he transforms an army that can get a 2:1 KDR against a "Hard" Battle AI into an army that can get a 20:1 KDR.

998/1000 people instantly reload and keep playing. The game gets extremely hard when random events (like XCOM) happen to you, and in XCOM you're forced to plan for their eventuality, because bad luck isn't luck, it's a certainty. You play that game with Murphy's Law in mind, in TW, you play with the load screen in mind.

Even if you make your own rules, it's too hard not to break them in that situation. I mean after all it was just a "lucky shot", but it's an eventuality that can sink your campaign if you didn't play welll enough.

Not being able to reload is more a difficulty hike from going from Normal to Legendary, easily, and you can still do it in Legendary which makes no sense. Give players achievements, rewards, and at least the option to turn it off so you can play lower difficulty campaigns without cheating.
Save-scumming is even possible on Legendary. I was able to replay a pivotal battle (i.e. loss = lost campaign) 40 times to win. Most people can't help themselves.

So this begs the question. Why isnt there an option, at least, just an option that makes reloading completely and utterl yimpossible in all instances (even moreso than Legendary) so people can play Hard and enjoy themselves, making for a more complete and real experience? Why can't they code that in? The one facet of the game which trivializes pretty much everything is unable to be disabled. They could make the best AI imaginable, and it still realistically just wouldn't matter.

An enemy that knows the future, cannot lose. It's time that the Hardcore mode option is implemented into Total War. There's no excuse.
If you don't mind, please follow this link the official forums and show your support if you want to see this implemented in both retroactively and in future titles.

Save-Scumming Needs To Go! Option to remove loading from ALL difficulties. - Total War Forums

I can't even imagine XCMON 2 without Hardcore mode. Being able to reload has made the AI deficiencies all the more glaring, unless it can beat you in turn 1, or be made to negate of any possibility of player vicotry (i.e. capital city invulnerable walls, invulnerable soldiers) then a player cannot be beaten.
The AI stands about as much a chance as the Omega on Edge of TOMORROW S THE HUM..

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
From what I've heard, they didn't do Age of Sigmar because of the rules or whatever, they did it so they could render pretty much every old figurine obsolete and get people to buy the new ones. Since the universe had stalled for a while, people were using their old gen figurine for whatever unit and heroes that never got changed(like mannfred, karl franz and so on) instead of buying the new ones. But by basically killing everybody but a few people and merging armies together giving them new appearance, banners and whatever the fuck, anyone who wants to play Age of Sigmar kinda has to rebuy most of their armies.

They're apparently doing pretty fucking poorly, which is a large reason why they've been selling their IPs to everyone who wants it now, while say 10years ago, they were very particular about the games being made with WH Fantasy and WH40K IPs. That's why there's like a dozen of warhammer games coming out lately/soonish.
I mean, the IP is really perfectly fit for video games though, so this is a good thing.

Table top gaming is great, but so expensive and I just don't think the market exists to support it beyond the most niche of products at this point, regardless what Games Workshop does with the setting in terms of lore/ip changes.

They almost need something like Fantasy Grounds for Warhammer...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you don't mind, please follow this link the official forums and show your support if you want to see this implemented in both retroactively and in future titles.

Save-Scumming Needs To Go! Option to remove loading from ALL difficulties. - Total War Forums

I can't even imagine XCMON 2 without Hardcore mode. Being able to reload has made the AI deficiencies all the more glaring, unless it can beat you in turn 1, or be made to negate of any possibility of player vicotry (i.e. capital city invulnerable walls, invulnerable soldiers) then a player cannot be beaten.
The AI stands about as much a chance as the Omega on Edge of TOMORROW S THE HUM..
Options are nice to have, but ultimately, this can be done by yourself by not save scumming. It isn't really that hard. I'd assume an option to do something that you can decide to do would be pretty low on the priority list of things to implement.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
CA posted a little lore snippet/teaser on Facebook (link). The datamined files listed the Beastmen as the next DLC, and the teaser sounds fairly Beastmen-y, so we may be getting a new faction soonish.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Reading the reddit thread, it doesn't seem to be Beastmen, at least for now. The schedule should be FLC Hero+unit, and it seems to point out to Markus Wulfhart/Huntsman heroes. It does tease Beastmen too so it could be the race DLC pack coming after, but seems it'll be a small DLC for now.