Total War: Warhammer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The next two FLC listed are an Empire hero (no mention of an additional unit, and so far no mention of a free special character for the Empire), and a new lore of magic. Assuming Beastmen are indeed coming as a paid DLC, the FLC are probably an Amber Wizard and the Lore of Beasts.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
From what I've heard, they didn't do Age of Sigmar because of the rules or whatever, they did it so they could render pretty much every old figurine obsolete and get people to buy the new ones. Since the universe had stalled for a while, people were using their old gen figurine for whatever unit and heroes that never got changed(like mannfred, karl franz and so on) instead of buying the new ones. But by basically killing everybody but a few people and merging armies together giving them new appearance, banners and whatever the fuck, anyone who wants to play Age of Sigmar kinda has to rebuy most of their armies.

They're apparently doing pretty fucking poorly, which is a large reason why they've been selling their IPs to everyone who wants it now, while say 10years ago, they were very particular about the games being made with WH Fantasy and WH40K IPs. That's why there's like a dozen of warhammer games coming out lately/soonish.
Actually, this is true but not the primary reason. Ultimately the original WHFB universe was becoming impossible to police their IP with because nearly everything is generiuniversal in concept (KoW being the biggest issue). Basically, GW are IP whores who care more about milking a shitty idea they have George Lucas control over than making money off of it. The secondary reasons were the 'fresh start' to reinvigorate their profit margin by getting new thematic elements out there without maintaining scores of old styles/types continuously and also one last huzzah to try WHFB with more modern story/lore elements (medieval 40K) to compete with lots of the other manufacturers that just had a lot more 'cool' factor (basically, PP games).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So apparently it's now Beastmen again. They released a teaser, which was named Beastmen_teaser_picture, then they removed it and changed it. Also it's chaos runes, so while no one has really managed to actually translate it that I've seen, Chaos runes make sense for Beastmen kinda.

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Chaos runes make sense for Beastmen kinda.
Something tells me "kinda" making sense is going to be the necessary modus operandi employed when it comes to making any faction additions, especially so if they want to keep them varied as far as campaign mechanics etc. are concerned.

I'm completely fine with as much of course, and I can already hear the "BUT THE LORE SAYS--" posts coming from a mile away.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Beastmen trailer dropped a day early.

DLC will be going live on July 28. Shit looks good.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
And they've got the preorder up on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/404012/

So yeah, playable Beastmen in the main campaign, as well as a mini story campaign that's Beastmen vs Middenland.

For those who want the TL;DR on the mechanics:

-horde faction like Chaos, with special movement stances that let them move through otherwise-impassible forest terrain
-something similar to the Greenskins' Waaagh mechanic, where they'll spawn an allied army if they win some fights
-most of their basic troops can Vanguard Deploy, and start fights outside the deployment zone
-they're also trying out having the legendary lords start in different locations

Oh yeah, and the accompanying FLC is indeed the Lore of Beasts and an Empire Amber Wizard.

That $20 price tag's a tad excessive-$15 would've felt more reasonable-but fuck it, I'll probably pick it up eventually, anyway.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
$17 for a fucking playable race in this game. FUCK YOU.

Seriously, I won't be playing this shit until it packages all races/dlc into a nice GOTY edition.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
SO thinking about lore and how it fits into the End Times and Age of Sigmar shit.

Is it possible that they are trying to link the two universes together? Sigmar is the God Emperor of Mankind. The Necrons are the spawn of Nagash, the Orcs the offspring of Grimgor, ect... The Tyranids are a virus sent by an advanced species in a nearby galaxy to halt the spread of the Chaos parasite by killing all life before it learns to transverse the gap between galaxies and chaos spreads to them. They make it so that it isnt enough for Chaos to be contained, it must be utterly destroyed for the makers of the virus to shut it down.

Sigmar plans to eliminate the chaos gods so he adopts Mankind, getting them ready at every step of history and guiding them to become the race of warriors he needs. The Primarchs were to be the generals of his army that were going to kill the Chaos gods. Yet in true Chaos fashion, they are turned into the ultimate weapon vs man.

Just some spitballing I had while mowing the lawn.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
$17 for a fucking playable race in this game. FUCK YOU.

Seriously, I won't be playing this shit until it packages all races/dlc into a nice GOTY edition.
Yup that price pisses me off. I was thinking 5 to 8 dollars for it. I should have known better then to buy this game on release day and wait for GOTY edition.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, it is also its own campaign, not just a playable race.
The game should cost 100 bucks at launch then because 5 playable races with campaigns cost 50 or 60 bucks. I forgot how much it was at launch. 19 bucks for a race and campaign is a bit ridiculous.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
IDK, If you bought a copy of Deadpool or Kung Fu Panda 3 on DVD it would cost you about the same amount. Seems in line with what people pay for entertainment. And yes you can wait for either to go on sale and pay less as well. You get about 10 hours of entertainment for 17 bucks. Thats not a bargin but its not outrageous. Beats By Dre.. now thats some overpriced shit.

Not sure why you are so upset over what is pretty much a standard rate.

By the way.. the game launched with 4 playable factions originally... Chaos was thrown in later as a bonus for early buyers.. but at 60 bucks, thats about 15 bucks per faction. You got a discount for buying in bulk.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I suppose when you consider that $20 is like half a box of Ungors in tabletop, paying that for the full faction in Total War feels a little better.

But whatever; you get Beastmen as an NPC faction even if you don't own the DLC, so you only need to buy to actually play them. And I've still got four factions to play a campaign with, so I've got time to wait for a sale.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
SO thinking about lore and how it fits into the End Times and Age of Sigmar shit.

Is it possible that they are trying to link the two universes together? Sigmar is the God Emperor of Mankind. The Necrons are the spawn of Nagash, the Orcs the offspring of Grimgor, ect... The Tyranids are a virus sent by an advanced species in a nearby galaxy to halt the spread of the Chaos parasite by killing all life before it learns to transverse the gap between galaxies and chaos spreads to them. They make it so that it isnt enough for Chaos to be contained, it must be utterly destroyed for the makers of the virus to shut it down.

Sigmar plans to eliminate the chaos gods so he adopts Mankind, getting them ready at every step of history and guiding them to become the race of warriors he needs. The Primarchs were to be the generals of his army that were going to kill the Chaos gods. Yet in true Chaos fashion, they are turned into the ultimate weapon vs man.

I don't know much about WH lore but that, while not exactly original, sounds pretty cool. Are there any really good WH books?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I suppose when you consider that $20 is like half a box of Ungors in tabletop, paying that for the full faction in Total War feels a little better.

But whatever; you get Beastmen as an NPC faction even if you don't own the DLC, so you only need to buy to actually play them. And I've still got four factions to play a campaign with, so I've got time to wait for a sale.
Lets not use the prices of GW Tabletop stuff as any reasonable point of comparison.

Please.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong

Wouldn't it be easier to just backpedal to the whole "WH Fantasy is a planet in the 40k universe" stance?

Are there any really good WH books?
I wouldn't call it "really good," but the Eisenhorn trilogy is a pretty solid 40k series (especially compared to most WH/game IP based books). A really nice change of pace from the GRIMDARK 200 page battle scenes that make up most WH books.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok, I came here to bitch about how much the DLC and game cost was together and the complaints seem to be very... similar. The total cost of this game right now is just ridiculous. Its shit like that that makes people want to pirate their games.

skylan_sl

shitlord
Really wanted to try this game out but yeah, like others, the DLC situation seems a bit ridiculous to me. I've never played a warhammer game (well besides the MMORPG flop) but some of the trailers looked pretty cool.

As of now I'll just wait for the game of the year edition, at which point there will probably be something else on my radar and I'll forget about this one completely. So sick of the way gaming is going with cash shops and dlc overload.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
If I don't care where the aggregate costs two years down the line end up, is the base game for suggested retail worth the money? I already bought it a few weeks but I'm too busy right now, wondering if I should sell/gift it to my brother or keep for later. (I guess "worth it" would be 30+ hours of fun without having to buy content).