Twitch.tv

Goonsquad Officer
I'm sure he's investing well, planning for retirement, paying for insurance, not living like a weirdo with roomates

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hes def doing better than burger flippers, but imo no better than someone making $25-30/hr

23k a month before tax is a helluva lot better than $30 an hour, even if you factor in overtime. However, this guy is basically working over 80 hour work weeks all year long - that is going to wear you down eventually.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
What's interesting is his subs/gift subs are 50/50. It'd be interesting to see how many viewers he averages, as it's something like ~55 dollars an hour from ads (8 minutes per hour) with 1000 viewers.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
One ad every 5 minutes means his stream is unwatchable.

And I love some of you guys on this forum. Truly. "Barely better than a burger flipper". Fucking lol.

Typically though, from what I understand, big ad revenue like that doesn't happen from running ads frequently at ~500 viewers. Its when you get some idiotically big raid... like 15k+ and immediately run ads during that time frame.

If you could average ~20k/month at 500 average viewers just by running ads as frequently as possible far more people would be pumping their ads constantly.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
23k a month before tax is a helluva lot better than $30 an hour, even if you factor in overtime. However, this guy is basically working over 80 hour work weeks all year long - that is going to wear you down eventually.
Hes more or less making $75/hr with no benefits/pto and has to pay the full share of taxes. Big picture thats not exactly better than someone who makes $30/hr who could work the equivalent amount of time.

Khane

500 subs =/= 500 viewers. He probably has 1500+ viewers consistently.

His sub revenue is for around 1100 subs. The people here said he had about 500-1000 average viewers. Even 1500 average viewers shouldnt net 20k/month in ad revenue when your sub revenue is 2800 lol.

I can't fathom Twitch having that kind of profit sharing for ad revenue.

What makes the most sense here is the guy had 2 crazy months due to big raids/spikes in viewership where he ran ads and wanted to show off/stir the pot.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
There's also the future factor to weigh in. Flipping burgers or doing some other "real" job will net you some experience and competency and allow you to work your way up the food chain so to speak, so in 10 years time - if you aren't a complete idiot - you'd be getting paid more, have more responsibility, maybe even a store manager. But if you're a streamer now, unless you are actively doing it to pay the bills while you study for something else, in 10 years time you'll still be a streamer. And just like with the OnlyFans hoes who as they age and their looks fade they have to keep competing with newer and newer models, the same is true with this. Quite a few of the people I have watched over the years have seen their viewership drop and their incomes with it to the point that I have seen some make vids about quitting - but to do what? Go flip burgers?

There are a handful of people out there who are in a position to "make it" long term streaming or doing video content, like Asmon, but for all the others it's an "enjoy it while it lasts" type thing, and then when the next gimmick takes off then it's gone. YouTube has become the Facebook of video content in that it's only 30+ people who watch it. The young generation is on TikTok and everyone who invested time in Twitch or YT is faced with the dilemma of sticking with what they have in a diminishing race, or starting afresh on a new platform where they'll be the "old ones".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You know that when mcdonalds offers you 30/hr to flip burgers you also have to pay taxes on that too? If this guy is making 23k/month hes doing fine. Some of you are just angsty or something. Its on him if he saves properly or not, no differently than some desk worker making a quarter mil pretax.

Khane

There's also the future factor to weigh in. Flipping burgers or doing some other "real" job will net you some experience and competency and allow you to work your way up the food chain so to speak, so in 10 years time - if you aren't a complete idiot - you'd be getting paid more, have more responsibility, maybe even a store manager. But if you're a streamer now, unless you are actively doing it to pay the bills while you study for something else, in 10 years time you'll still be a streamer. And just like with the OnlyFans hoes who as they age and their looks fade they have to keep competing with newer and newer models, the same is true with this. Quite a few of the people I have watched over the years have seen their viewership drop and their incomes with it to the point that I have seen some make vids about quitting - but to do what? Go flip burgers?

There are a handful of people out there who are in a position to "make it" long term streaming or doing video content, like Asmon, but for all the others it's an "enjoy it while it lasts" type thing, and then when the next gimmick takes off then it's gone. YouTube has become the Facebook of video content in that it's only 30+ people who watch it. The young generation is on TikTok and everyone who invested time in Twitch or YT is faced with the dilemma of sticking with what they have in a diminishing race, or starting afresh on a new platform where they'll be the "old ones".

Have you ever paid attention to what streamers like Asmongold have done? You aren't paying attention if you think these people are "just streamers" and that they turn their camera on and just sit and play games. They start companies and brands that cater to that space, they actually do create content off twitch and if they do, in fact, put time and effort into it they learn a whole lot about the entire industry, the various software, make connections, etc.

Thinking that working at McDonalds somehow nets you more life experience is laughable. You either are a person who absorbs experience/knowledge and builds on it, in any field you work in, or you aren't.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Those dilemmas are no different than those faced by athletes or actors. If you're very successful, then you ride that money train until it stops. If you aren't successful, then you're probably already working a side gig to supplement your income.

Besides, it's extremely easy to sell your streaming career (or any entry level work for that matter) as something meaningful if you have half a brain in an interview process. You basically distill your experience into its very fundamental essence so that even "flipping burgers" or "playing call of duty in front of an audience" sounds important and is relevant to the job you're applying for. I remember even reading about someone who used their MMO raid lead experience and spun it to help land them a management position.

Have you ever paid attention to what streamers like Asmongold have done? You aren't paying attention if you think these people are "just streamers" and that they turn their camera on and just sit and play games. They start companies and brands that cater to that space, they actually do create content off twitch and if they do, in fact, put time and effort into it they learn a whole lot about the entire industry, the various software, make connections, etc.

Thinking that working at McDonalds somehow nets you more life experience is laughable. You either are a person who absorbs experience/knowledge and builds on it, in any field you work in, or you aren't.

This as well - the really big ones diversify their income portfolio and network like crazy. Some could land roles in the game development world as well - that's what happened with Furor and Tigole (not streaming obviously, but they had very public personas online that was would fall in the realm of 'influencer').

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
That's why I said that there are only "a handful of people out there who are in a position to "make it"". The vast majority will never do it, they may have their moment of glory, might make some decent cash for a few months or years if they are lucky, then people will move to the next new thing and the streamers will see their incomes drop, drop and drop. I've seen plenty of content creators talk about this fact. Ozzy Man Reviews just did a video on how much things have gone downhill in the 10 years since he started - and he's one of the "handful" that started a business and a brand etc but now faces some very tough choices on how to move forward in an ever changing world.

And as I say, it could be flipping burgers at Maccie Dees or a desk job, it adds up. I remember when Arumba was just starting out doing his CK2 WCs before moving onto EU4 when it was released. He talked about how he worked as an insurance salesman but quit the job to focus on YT and Streaming. He did far better than he used to for the first few years, now he barely scrapes by playing games he now hates because no-one watches him if he plays other things. His wife has left him and taken the kids because she doesn't want to be married to some shitty streamer. Had he stayed in his position he would probably be in some sort of sales management position now, with almost certainly a better paycheck than he has now, insurance, paid leave, steady income, and most likely a path forward to higher promotions later on - instead of wondering wtf he's going to do once the last few hundred people who still watch him decide to do something else with their lives.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Asmon also doesn't live an extravagant lifestyle. Dude lives in a shitty house and doesn't own a bunch of $250000 cars. I imagine he has a shitload of money banked away.

• 2Truth!

Fadaar

That guy
Asmon also doesn't live an extravagant lifestyle. Dude lives in a shitty house and doesn't own a bunch of $250000 cars. I imagine he has a shitload of money banked away.

he's living in the house he grew up in that's been paid off for years and drives like a 2000 mustang that's also been paid off forever. his expenses are literally just staying alive. if he isn't at least 10 digits deep in his bank account he's doing something wrong.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
he's living in the house he grew up in that's been paid off for years and drives like a 2000 mustang that's also been paid off forever. his expenses are literally just staying alive. if he isn't at least 10 digits deep in his bank account he's doing something wrong.

The mustang died. He drives a low end Mercedes now. His biggest expense was all the dental work he had to get done, nearly all his teeth are fake I think. But yeah he really doesnt spend much or live a fancy life. Dude just wants to play video games.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
The mustang died. He drives a low end Mercedes now. His biggest expense was all the dental work he had to get done, nearly all his teeth are fake I think. But yeah he really doesnt spend much or live a fancy life. Dude just wants to play video games.

Oh didn't know about that. Haven't watched him live in a long while, only catch highlights on YT. He prob paid cash for that car and it didn't even make the slightest of dents in his cash pile.

Any amount of ads makes a stream unwatchable

yeah the harder they fight adblock the less i watch twitch. there's a lot of weeks i don't even watch at all these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
(edit for clarification) Alternative Twitch Player extension having a 480p quality switchover continues the audio even if the screen becomes a blurry mess. No ads but simply have to put up with resolution dips during them.

Last edited: