War with Syria

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

back in 2007, the president declared in writing that "The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." He was referring to a hypothetical (but, at the time, seemingly likely) situation of the Bush administration striking Iran over its potential nuclear weapons development.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I hope we do not get involved. Personally I think if we wanted to take the moral high ground we should have done it way back when he was cluster bombing civilians. I think that "opportunity" has passed. That said I am sure using it as a big middle finger to Iran and Russia is appealing to the president and war hawks but doesn't really do anything for us. I think either nothing will happen or we will bomb a couple of their chemical weapons depot's at most.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Until Syria attacks Israel in response. Then things will happen.
Honestly if the US is going to kill him with cruise missiles, Assad might as well send out a final order shooting everything that can hit Israel, all the troops to burn their uniforms, blend in with the populace and keep fighting for their country guerilla style.

"Army? What army? We're just villagers! We didn't fire any missiles at you guys! Assad did it via remote control!"

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Allegedly
on Friday, August 30, 2013.
Below is a statement by Jamal Ahmed al-Tahiri, the spokesman for Al-Qaeda in Damascus (AQD), in support of Secretary of State John Kerry's remarks on Syria

In the Name of Allah the Merciful, America the Accursed, Aslam O' Alikum,

If the British Parliament was filled with men with half the moral caliber and political vision of Mr. John Kerry, oh, what a wonderful world this would be! Sure, Kerry doesn't know much about the history of Syria, or basic chemistry, but the world does know that he loves the Syrian people more than Assad.

Inshallah the British public will throw out those bums who embarrassed Obama. They should look to the great Kerry as an example of an authentic 21st century statesman. This man has touched our hearts with his words. Only a brave and God-fearing man can call Bashar the dog a thug and a murderer. What eloquence! What poetry from this man!

America, under what rock did you find this Mr. Kerry? Immortalize that rock, put it in a museum. Put everything that Kerry's magical hands have touched in a museum. Let the future know what a great and visionary statesman America produced in its hour of greatest need.

We in Al-Qaeda in Damascus (AQD) applaud this man's bravery, vision, and eloquence. May the rest of the world follow Mr. John Kerry into Syria to bring down Bashar the dog.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Screenshotted>
oh come on, that has to be straight outta The Onion

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Zawahiri to Syrian Rebels: Damascus First, Then Cairo, Then Jerusalem

Zawahiri made his pitch for Muslim rebels to begin the process of retaking Jerusalem--by first taking Damascus and Cairo--in a videotape that was posted online on Feb. 11, 2012

In the tape, Zawahiri refers to "Sham"-a medieval territory encompassing lands that now include Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon and Israel. He refers to the city of Jerusalem itself, by its Arabic name, al Quds.

Zawahiri, in his pitch for the Syrian rebels, also refers to the Syrian rebellion as a step toward the "liberation of Bayt al Maqdis," or the Al Aqsa Mosque and its environs. The Al Aqsa Mosque sits atop the Temple Mount in Jerusalim
-----
Syria is currently run by the secularist Baath Party. However, Bashar al-Asad, Syria's current leader, like his father Hafez al-Asad before him, is a member of the minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam. Al Qaeda is Sunni. Alawites like the Asads, according to the Congressional Research Service, comprise only about 12 percent of the Syrian population-yet are the key force in the Syrian regime and military.

"The Asads and the Baath party have cultivated Alawites as a key base of support, and elite security forces have long been led by Alawites," says the Congressional Research Service. "The government violently suppressed an armed uprising led by the Muslim Brotherhood in the early 1980s, killing thousands of Sunni Muslims and others."

In his exhortation for Sunni Muslims to support the Syrian rebels, al Qaeda's Zawahiri sites what he calls the secularism and sectarianism (n.b. Alawite Shiism) of the Asad regime, and reminds Sunnis to be wary of help from the West because the West does not want the rise of a regime in Syria that will threaten Israel.

-----
Greater Syria or Natural Syria , Bilad ash-Sham , is a nationalist term that denotes a geographical definition of a hypothetical united Fertile Crescent state. The term denotes the restoration of the medieval Arab Caliphate province of Bilad al-Sham

rrr_img_42072.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
interesting conspiracy theory, I don't buy just yet. The Democratic party seems to want to replace defense spending with social spending, not the other way around.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If Obama doesn't strike I'm sure he'll be harshly criticized during the midterm elections for being a weak noodle.

WE NEED STRONG LEADERSHIP AND IF A PRESIDENT DRAWS A METAPHORICAL LINE THAT IS MAYBE OR MAYBE NOT CROSSED HE NEEDS TO ACT WITH FIREY DEATH AND TO HELL WITH ANY AND ALL CONSEQUENCES.