Warhammer 40k Space Marine 2

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
How deep is the co-op experience in this? Buddy and I want to play, but we're not paying $60 is we're only going to get 10 hours of content out of this. We're either going to wait for new content or a discounted price.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is PvP with 3 modes, I think. I haven't tried that out yet. There are 6 Operations where you'll grind for currencies to upgrade gear, get levels and unlock cosmetics (note, all three of those share one resource). The campaign has 7 missions, each with several encounters, its short but if you're a SM fan, you'll love it. Once you're out of the intro mission, the Campaign can be run entirely in Co-Op.

If neither you or your buddy were interested enough to get it on release, I'd wait up to a year for them to flesh the game out as the grinding Operations are fun the first few times, but can get old thereafter due to them taking too long (imo) and the only form of "balance" and "difficulty" comes from increasing mob HP / DMG faster than your character power.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
How deep is the co-op experience in this? Buddy and I want to play, but we're not paying $60 is we're only going to get 10 hours of content out of this. We're either going to wait for new content or a discounted price.

Id think of it as Gears of War-hammer. Co-op is fun and action packed, difficulty scales well, building classes is cool.

I have a lvl 25 sniper I just finished with maxed las fusil (several other primaries to max), pistol and knife:

1726338944161.png

Havent done the campaign or any pvp yet.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't say it is particularly deep - after all, you'll basically be running the same 6 missions over and over in co-op - but it is pretty excellent at focusing on what it does well. The co-op rewards team play and the combat is just plain fun with some skill involved at higher levels. Most of the classes are fun even if some of them feel a little underwhelming at first. The missions themselves are basically fun with the exception of the train mission, which I despise and never run.

Progression is quite slow if you are actually playing the game - but of course there are a hundred guides out there telling you how to skip all the content and race to max if that is your thing.

I'd say for sure 20-25 hours of fun for even casual play, and the typical poop socking 100 or more hours if you're going to max everything in the way intended.

Edit: I've played for around 30 hours with 90% in co-op and don't have any single character beyond 12. But I'm leveling all character other than assault (not saying its bad, I'm bad at it and feel like the jetpack will get improvements I'm waiting for) and playing for fun. Would have substantially more time in the game if I didn't have this nightmare life to live.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Id think of it as Gears of War-hammer. Co-op is fun and action packed, difficulty scales well, building classes is cool.

I have a lvl 25 sniper I just finished with maxed las fusil (several other primaries to max), pistol and knife:

View attachment 545966

Havent done the campaign or any pvp yet.
Switched to sniper as well but going carbine marksman, the sniper rifles ammo is terrible and I like the run and gun style with a oh shit button. Only level 7 but the carbine perks should wake it up a bit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If this game was cheap, or it had more content I'd be interested. Right now I'm just not bothered with the shallow offering, even if I appreciate the fact that it's relatively non-woke infested.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blueweed

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Switched to sniper as well but going carbine marksman, the sniper rifles ammo is terrible and I like the run and gun style with a oh shit button. Only level 7 but the carbine perks should wake it up a bit.
the sniper really shines at 21 when you are almost perma cloak and the la fusil returns ammo when it kills 2 enemies. if u invest in aoe size of la fusil beam it becomes a cannon which is hilarious to watch again a horde

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
the sniper really shines at 21 when you are almost perma cloak and the la fusil returns ammo when it kills 2 enemies. if u invest in aoe size of la fusil beam it becomes a cannon which is hilarious to watch again a horde

I can see why the gaming journos struggled

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It has taken me until last night to fully understand the combat, in the sense I am probably going to come out of most fights, as mele, with a full bar of health. I absolutely did not realize how important it is to parry/shoot to get armor and avoid damage during the animation. I also HATE that I need to roll like a fuckin ball as a space marine.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has taken me until last night to fully understand the combat, in the sense I am probably going to come out of most fights, as mele, with a full bar of health. I absolutely did not realize how important it is to parry/shoot to get armor and avoid damage during the animation. I also HATE that I need to roll like a fuckin ball as a space marine.
Make sure to get the Fencing version of whatever melee wpn you like, unless you're a Heavy.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

I too abuse the pistol execution. It works when you're out of pistol ammo :).

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
I've barely gotten to play, on harder difficulty, I was getting kinda flumoxed by trying to focus a warrior and the little shits would interrupt my pistol shot. Or like you get an initial parry/dodge option, but then they hit you with subesequent whips that... I just keep rolling or not sure how to react too.

At least with the basic chainsword (1st mission is all ive played). Was kinda annoying trying to open into a pack of gaunts and needing to get 3-4 empty swings trying to lead with a big aoe hit. Or I can parry a blue circle and knock most back but often all that does is scatter the survivors so I'm getting hit while mopping them up with the intial single target swings.
And sometimes I'd try to once in the thick of it try to get the shift + heavy attack little knockback hit and seems like it'd get interupted or just when getting clawed up was getting non responsive. On high difficulty if you get to the point you just in a thick swarm seems like a pretty bad place to be since you can't clear the pack w/ a dodge. Sure you can just spam attack and usually make it out with 5% health left but my goal is to yknow take some armor damage but keep health high.

If it's just a gaunt swarm, seemed easy enough to just shoot them up a bit so the remaining few go in one aoe hit or whatever. Warriors seemed best just playing like Bulletstorm aka shoot the barrel since the explosives mostly one shot em.

Got that controller linked earlier need to set it up if I get time tommorow, the extra buttons on back seem like it may be nice.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I dunno, the lore descriptions vs the in game 'image' of being walking tanks always has this discrepancy. They are always portrayed as having superhuman speed/agility/reflexes which is a big reason they are so terrifying, because everyone's got tanks but only the Imperium has ones the size of a (tall) human that can dodge duck dive and dodge.

• 1Like