Weather

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Have a feeling we'll be surpassing Katrina's killcount (1800~)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
We were just talking about this. Even if the bridges are standing, they will all have to be inspected. There's 42 of them. And power will be out for weeks, minimum.

MIL has a condo in Vero we are welcome to. Friend of mine has a rental unit in Miami Beach.

I have my boat with me and I can theoretically get to my house and back from as far away as Flamingo in Everglades National Park, to assess damage and figure shit out. Assuming one of my friends that stayed survived however I won't need to do that.

TL;DR, fuck if I know just yet.

If you wanna drive to california there's a hotel near my place you can stay at.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone in FL having phone issues already? Got a message via ham from someone with a callsign registered to FL where they pass a message to call someone eventually on the other end. I passed it along. "OK, phone busy" and their name and callsign was in Miami. No idea if they meant all phones busy or just the person they were trying to call. Wanting to call someone with a Nebraska area code.
On another forum, about 2 hours ago, guy said his internet was already out.

Apparently one of the best places to tie off is on the leeward side to a bunch of mangrove trees. Only real risk is other boats.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
We were just talking about this. Even if the bridges are standing, they will all have to be inspected. There's 42 of them. And power will be out for weeks, minimum.

MIL has a condo in Vero we are welcome to. Friend of mine has a rental unit in Miami Beach.

I have my boat with me and I can theoretically get to my house and back from as far away as Flamingo in Everglades National Park, to assess damage and figure shit out. Assuming one of my friends that stayed survived however I won't need to do that.

TL;DR, fuck if I know just yet.
Ya I assumed you would leave the family mainland and just go back to survey damage until such time roads are open and stores are available. No need to go back and stay if no roads, no power and no supplies. Having your boat is a plus for sure, although I'd imagine there will be some running that route just for that purpose.

• 1Like

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On another forum, about 2 hours ago, guy said his internet was already out.

Apparently one of the best places to tie off is on the leeward side to a bunch of mangrove trees. Only real risk is other boats.

Yup. Mangroves will hold in anything.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I thought I remembered so I looked it up, but Katrina went even lower (902mb).

Strongest Hurricanes: 10 Most Intense Atlantic Hurricanes on Record
Ya I think I got suckered into some fake news. Can't remember if I posted the article or just quoted part, I need to go back and look because it stated 919 was previous record for Atlantic ( not gulf ) and I think some of those mentioned earlier were in the Atlantic. The gulf has had several exceed it for sure.

• 1Like

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was from Katrina, I assume south Florida has a lot more boats/ships per area than the gulf coast had. I'd be very concerned about somsone elses stuff come wrecking my stuff. Have a large boat float into your house would put a dent in your day I'm guessing.

Miami and all of our islands are structured to get the most waterfront property with canals all over the city like the one below that snake into land to give people access to open water.

upload_2017-9-8_17-15-4.png

Internet isn't out (yet) its just choppy as shit, this is my lag meter in Path of Exile which is usually a flat line

upload_2017-9-8_17-17-49.png

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I dont believe it. No way will the kill count be so high.

That includes people from as far away as Kentucky "attributed" to Katrina. Not just LA and MS. At least that's what wiki said. I read once before that included people killed post Katrina that were killed from touching downed electrical, falling while doing construction and such. I don't know what the number is for "just the hurricane". Another list said people who died of a heart attack 2 months after the hurricane that were eveacuated were counted in the kill count.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
That includes people from as far away as Kentucky "attributed" to Katrina. Not just LA and MS. At least that's what wiki said. I read once before that included people killed post Katrina that were killed from touching downed electrical, falling while doing construction and such. I don't know what the number is for "just the hurricane". Another list said people who died of a heart attack 2 months after the hurricane that were eveacuated were counted in the kill count.

Yeah i know it wasnt just 1800 straight from the hurricane, and that most died in the aftermath. I still dont believe it. NOLA was poor and there were a lot of trapped people, Florida seems to be better prepared.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
2 public garages in Key West.

That's pretty much the list.

I'd break into some boarded up kinda sturdy looking place in Key West and hope for the best. Not much else you can do at that point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah i know it wasnt just 1800 straight from the hurricane, and that most died in the aftermath. I still dont believe it. NOLA was poor and there were a lot of trapped people, Florida seems to be better prepared.

Imma put my death count at 3200 - think tons of people are choosing not to leave

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I'd break into some boarded up kinda sturdy looking place in Key West and hope for the best. Not much else you can do at that point.
Next on Nooos at 11, a body of a looter was found in a boarded up home today while cleanup continues.
TJT known best from his shit posting on reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerolled was found dead, apparently after breaking in a home to loot it. Neighbors say he got what he deserved.
Next up, Florida is home to billions of homeless people who panhandle and beg from tourists. Did they even know Irma was coming?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
STORM SURGE: The combination of a dangerous storm surge and the
tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by
rising waters moving inland from the shoreline. The water is
expected to reach the following HEIGHTS ABOVE GROUND if the peak
surge occurs at the time of high tide...

SW Florida from Captiva to Cape Sable...8 to 12 ft
Cape Sable to Boca Raton including the Florida Key...5 to 10 ft
Venice to Captiva...5 to 8 ft
Anclote River to Venice including Tampa Bay...3 to 5 ft
Boca Raton to Flagler/Volusia County line...3 to 6 ft

• 1Like