Weather

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
034136_5day_expCone_png-3317282.JPG

Rabbit_Games

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not coming near Dallas, so I should be fine. It's also not going to Houston... and yet, Houston will still flood.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was supposed to go to NOLA yesterday for a sales conference. Bailed 12 minutes before boarding my plane and now I'm really glad I did.

Borzak

Haven't heard anything. My cousin works there and I'm on the hotline for Exxon has a problem that will require quick turnaround work. They call everyone that has ever done much work for all their refineries if something needs shipped or someone needs to go there. Uneducated guess most issues plants and refineries have in a hurricane or tropical storm are power related. Most refineries sell their excess power they generate but at times they have issues getting power and it takes time to get process shut down or rerouted.

Goatface

The plant lost a unit that's responsible for processing sulfur. This process takes that sulfur out of the finished products like gasoline and diesel, according to ExxonMobil Beaumont Complex Manager Michael Mustian.

"And when that happens that causes impacts within the rest of the refinery and out of an abundance of caution we decided to issue that shelter-in-place," Mustian said.

ExxonMobil has been conducting fenceline monitoring throughout, and haven't had any detection of any hazardous materials, including sulfur dioxide.

"Sulfur dioxide, if inhaled can be an irritant for the respiratory system, so that's why people were asked to stay inside and shelter-in-place," said Mustian.

Borzak

Not a surpsie then. Those desulphurization processes were mega expensive when all the refineries put them in years ago for low sulphur diesel and shit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
"Abundance of caution" means next time they issue one, people don't give a shit because you're boy who cried wolfing it. Excellent work.

Borzak

Currently at the LA/MS line near where I-55 crosses. It started raining here a few days before the hurricane was an issue. We were under a flash flood watch when they announced it. It's rained here the last 3-4 days and still is, just getting breezy now not really windy yet. 30mph wind gust currently.

When outside Baton Rouge got almost 30" of rain in two days in 2016 it rained a lot here but between two lakes and a river and the highest elevation for quite a while. It did wash some houses off the foundation about 10 miles down the river when it happened and it blew out the dam at the lake.

Borzak

"Abundance of caution" means next time they issue one, people don't give a shit because you're boy who cried wolfing it. Excellent work.

When I take the safety class or watch the film for all the refineries and chemical plants I do to get a badge they go on endlessly about which gate to exit if the wind is blowing this way or that direction. Like the wind ever changes from blowing west to east here unless it's a hurricane. My take away has always been follow someone that works there every day.