Weather

Goatface

we are approaching low flood stage and calling for 3.5" tomorrow. i was about 40' from getting smashed by a huge falling limb tonight on my walk.

can not find the zoomed in map on the red area. earlier today was saying it could be once in 1000 year flood with some areas getting upto 20".
1727397886604.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, they finally got their big storm. This one is producing a ton of tornadoes all over the south.

I did send my mom a snarky text when she sent me another message asking how we were. Couple hours later she's like "that tornado in North Carolina isn't too close to us, don't worry!" As if I'm sitting there watching North Carolina's weather.

Definitely glad this one stayed east though. Basically didn't impact us whatsoever despite being in Florida. Meanwhile it's dumping rain on all the family members that live all over the southeast, and like I said, even southern Illinois.

But we went to Sam's last week and our freezers are full and I'm glad I don't have to fuck with trying not to lose $500 of groceries.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw a few pics the surge was above the roofline. Hope people in that area left. You would need a second floor and even using a light boat with that much water moving would not be super safe. Think of all the shit that gets blown around, now imagine all that shit and more floating around.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Grew up people taking about Camille. Cat 5 that hit MS in the middle of the night. Read a while back about a group that was in an apartment building and when the surge hit they started moving up the floors. Several of them drowned even with muliple floors to go up. I remember going to Biloxi in the 70s and some pretty large boats being inland from the coast. Behind MS and LA the biggest damage was Virginia where it washed out a number of bridges due to the rain.

I've never run from a hurricane having grown up in LA and most of my adult life in TX. But if you live right on the coast I don't see how people don't leave to avoid the surge. The wind and lack of power wouldn't bother me. The surge would. Even after Katrina the morning after it hit people were taking videos in the quarter talking about how it wasn't a big deal. Until it was due to the levee breaks. MS got it much worse during Katrina for that season, the storm surge.

I imagine there's a lot of "things are going okay" in some of those storms. Until a house down the road goes floating by.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Stuff like this is what pisses me off. "It hasn't even made landfall!" What the fuck difference does that make to Fort Myers? It made landfall like 300+ miles north of Fort Myers.

Just say it got bad storm surge and stop trying to sensationalize it even more you fucks.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Grew up people taking about Camille. Cat 5 that hit MS in the middle of the night. Read a while back about a group that was in an apartment building and when the surge hit they started moving up the floors. Several of them drowned even with muliple floors to go up. I remember going to Biloxi in the 70s and some pretty large boats being inland from the coast. Behind MS and LA the biggest damage was Virginia where it washed out a number of bridges due to the rain.

I've never run from a hurricane having grown up in LA and most of my adult life in TX. But if you live right on the coast I don't see how people don't leave to avoid the surge. The wind and lack of power wouldn't bother me. The surge would. Even after Katrina the morning after it hit people were taking videos in the quarter talking about how it wasn't a big deal. Until it was due to the levee breaks. MS got it much worse during Katrina for that season, the storm surge.

I imagine there's a lot of "things are going okay" in some of those storms. Until a house down the road goes floating by.
Camille was our Baba Yaga as well growing up. Until Andrew came along and showed her how a man does things.

Goatface

wind has showed up. power has went out twice so far. 2 sections of 6' privacy fence decided not to be a fence anymore. one tree down in the road 2 houses up, but i have heard at least 2 other fall away from my property, so not went to look yet.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have this convo a lot with people. There is a price you may one day pay for living on the coast down here. I feel bad for those people... but...
You accept that there is a small possibility that one day your house may go underwater. You choose to live there you choose to dance with the Devil every storm season. Its why I have always chosen to live about 15-20 miles from the water. A> I am not a big boat person and B> I am not a big fan of seeing my house go underwater. I'm willing to drive 15 minutes to the water because that 15 miles makes all the difference in the word when it comes to storm surge.

I have zero standing water anywhere in my neighborhood. 15 minutes away last night they were using airboats to rescue people in the downtown because of 6' of water. In downtown. This is about 8 hours after it peaked last night...

1727445290368.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users