Weather

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
It's 67 degrees with a light breeze in AZ right now...time for a frosty beverage and go outside.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This is one of the only reasons I really miss living in Portland (Oregon). It rarely snowed there, but when it did, literally the whole fucking town shut down. It was awesome getting out of work over an inch or two of snow. Just a complete shitshow and it always struck me as hilarious that people would freak out over such a minuscule amount of snow.

Growing up in the mountain west was a completely different game. There could be a literal foot of snow on the ground and your boss would be like, "You're still coming in today, right?".
I do enjoy how quickly everything shuts down around here due to a little snow. They've already announced a half day tomorrow at work.

McCheese

This is one of the only reasons I really miss living in Portland (Oregon). It rarely snowed there, but when it did, literally the whole fucking town shut down. It was awesome getting out of work over an inch or two of snow. Just a complete shitshow and it always struck me as hilarious that people would freak out over such a minuscule amount of snow.

Growing up in the mountain west was a completely different game. There could be a literal foot of snow on the ground and your boss would be like, "You're still coming in today, right?".
I do enjoy how quickly everything shuts down around here due to a little snow. They've already announced a half day tomorrow at work.

*Edit* Apparently I enjoy it so much that I posted it twice!

Rime

<Donor>
In the north-eastern side of Pennsylvania. First forecast at the start of the week was for 1/2 an inch to 36 inches. They have narrowed it down to 6 inches to a foot.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
This is going to be a fun weekend.

I'm in Maryland, and we got less than an inch of snow last night. I was driving home during the thick of it, and saw at least 8 cars skidded out on the side of the road, some of which look like they had taken other cars with them. Two assholes turning right on a red almost slid into me as I drove slowly through a green. Thank god I was going slowly enough to control my car and avoid them.

People in the DC/VA/MD area are shitty drivers in the best weather. I plan on getting home from work on Friday afternoon and not leaving my house till Monday morning.
Same here. I live in Maryland and was heading home from DC late last night, and it was freakin terrifying. 50 was a parking lot of cars and ice. One small incline, a tanker truck partially jackknifed blocking a lane or 2, and everyone else was struggling moving forward without skidding downwards.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Yesterday University of Maryland announced they are closing for friday-sunday, with monday being the first day of the spring semester. a nice "welcome to Maryland, we're a bunch of pussies" to all the freshmen

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There has definitely been a sea change in the way things - especially schools - close down now due to weather, around PA at least. I noticed it last year when I spent the most of the year traveling to various high schools for work - schools closed at the hint of snow, usually the night before when the shit hadn't even started to fall yet. They have gotten very quick on the trigger to cancel school, and make the call much much earlier these days. Hell, my boss tried to shut down the office for Monday today, and the storm will be mostly cleared by Sunday unless something unnatural happens and we get three times the amount of snow we are supposed to.

As a parent now, I see the wisdom in shutting down early - gives people time to figure shit out rather than finding out right as you are leaving for work that you have to find someone to watch your kid all day. There are still plenty of times though when everything closes down and then nothing happens.

Eonan

Doer of Things

*Edit* Apparently I enjoy it so much that I posted it twice!
Same here. I live in Maryland and was heading home from DC late last night, and it was freakin terrifying. 50 was a parking lot of cars and ice. One small incline, a tanker truck partially jackknifed blocking a lane or 2, and everyone else was struggling moving forward without skidding downwards.
Just moved to DC in December and have to agree with McCheese, people here are terrible drivers even when the weather is great. Last night was just fucking terrible, it took my roommate 6 hours to get to Mt Vernon from Crystal City. When I drove in to work this morning at 530AM I did so with 4WD on (Tacoma) and there were still a few spots where I was sliding. I drove past no less than 3 abandoned vehicles, one of which was halfway in one of my neighbors yards and sitting on top of their chain link fence.

My immediate thoughts were "WTF people its an inch of snow..." but then I remembered how bad people normally drive and was less surprised. One of the advantages of getting to work at 6AM and leaving at 2PM is avoiding the vast majority of the morons on the roads.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The fuck happened to maryland. I lived there for 30 years, and as recently as 2010's mega blizzard the federal government was reluctant to close on 40 some inches of snow. Now they are shutting down ahead of time? Also yes people fucking suck driving there.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
CZR0aHyUkAEoeeE.jpg:large

McCheese

The fuck happened to maryland. I lived there for 30 years, and as recently as 2010's mega blizzard the federal government was reluctant to close on 40 some inches of snow. Now they are shutting down ahead of time? Also yes people fucking suck driving there.
A few years ago there was a huge uproar about schools and businesses not closing for a snowstorm that started in the afternoon, and people were stuck on the roads and highways for hours and hours, with many people abandoning their cars, running out of gas, etc. I believe there were even some school buses that got stuck in all the mess. I think fear of situations like that has prompted them to SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING at the slightest hint of snow.

Also, government workers are lazy bums.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
An inch of snow is actually quite dangerous compared to say half a foot. An inch usually has ice underneath and you can't judge shit. Half a foot is just like driving on mashed potatoes. Slow and mushy but you ain't gonna fly off the road into a ditch in it.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
A few years ago there was a huge uproar about schools and businesses not closing for a snowstorm that started in the afternoon, and people were stuck on the roads and highways for hours and hours, with many people abandoning their cars, running out of gas, etc. I believe there were even some school buses that got stuck in all the mess. I think fear of situations like that has prompted them to SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING at the slightest hint of snow.

Also, government workers are lazy bums.
ah the shit from i think 2013