Weight Loss Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I handle cheating two ways. The first is portion control. I have no issues eating things like pizza but instead of having three slices I just have one. I get the flavor hit I was looking for and don't kill myself with carbs. The second is to just be aware of how much you eat and subtract it from the rest of the week. Also, I've found that if you're too strict and don't allow yourself to cheat, you just making the cravings stronger and any cheat/relapse will be stronger

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I personally just think a bunch of the diets people do, they go all in "too deeply." Bro, a sprinkle of cheese, and some seasoning is fucking worth it. I will fucking walk on the stair stepper for the whole 40 seconds it takes to burn that off.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is one of the hardest parts I've found. Cheating can lead to lack of discipline for the next day, and that begets more cheating. Slippery slope, but if you can indulge and get right back on track, you are doing better than most of us.
I always drift back to old, and bad, habits. That's the natural thing to do... brain sees available food, brain wants it.

That's where fasting is magical. A few days of fasting resets everything. And I believe it to be better anyway, to alternate fasting period for waste elimination and then feast period for reconstruction. I believe that's how we're designed to be.

And it's a lot less frustrating, i'm on holidays with the family, I can enjoy it, then I'll compensate by fasting 3-5 days and running caloric deficit until i'm where I want to be.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I always drift back to old, and bad, habits. That's the natural thing to do... brain sees available food, brain wants it.

That's where fasting is magical. A few days of fasting resets everything. And I believe it to be better anyway, to alternate fasting period for waste elimination and then feast period for reconstruction. I believe that's how we're designed to be.

And it's a lot less frustrating, i'm on holidays with the family, I can enjoy it, then I'll compensate by fasting 3-5 days and running caloric deficit until i'm where I want to be.
So because you cant control you proportions you gave yourself an eating disorder. Smart.

Gurgeh

So because you cant control you proportions you gave yourself an eating disorder. Smart.
Yeah in mankind's history people definitely used to eat the exact same amount of calories every day. That's how our body is supposed to work!

Considering the various beneficial mechanisms triggered by fasting, it's a bit silly to not do it on occasion, and therefore you need also to run a surplus at times.

I control my portions, but rather on a 3 months period.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Just fyi this stuff is hot fucking garbage. Any brand that uses artificial sweeteners can automatically be written off as low quality trash. Need more protein? Either use the powder I linked a couple posts ago or just eat more chicken/beans/lentils. If you eat white rice, switch it with purple/black rice which has way more protein. Add peanut/almond or whatever butter to shakes. Overly processed garbage is just terrible for you.
Maybe I missed it but what’s the forum opinion of ON gold standard whey? It’s been my go to for over a decade.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Here are the exact numbers from my bloodwork
View attachment 535006

I really don't know if that's just a "Those numbers are high but not a huge issue to fix" or if its a "Holy Shit, you gonna die!" situation.

And yeah, went on maybe a mile walk last night just to get some kind of exercise in. My days fluctuate a little, but I really don't get much activity in. A typical day is getting up, hour commute to work, sit at my desk for 10 hours with occasional walking around, hour commute home, maybe spend an hour on my feet helping with chores, then back to sitting for a bit at the computer or kitchen table and then going to bed. Looking at my phone, most work days are between 1500 and 2500 steps, with days off being 3500-5000. I have no issues walking around all day when I want to, took a trip at the beginning of the year and was walking 20,000+ miles a day and I was fine, just need to have a reason to walk I guess.
Do you have historical bloodwork data you can compare your cholesterol numbers to? For some people it can be genetics, to a degree.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Maybe I missed it but what’s the forum opinion of ON gold standard whey? It’s been my go to for over a decade.
Seems pretty bad. They use artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose so that right there is a red flag. While not as bad, they also use artificial flavors and their chocolate is processed with alkali which basically means it only has the flavor of chocolate but nearly none of the benefits. They also use hydrolyzed proteins which can potentially be not as good for you as it's just more processed.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Seems pretty bad. They use artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose so that right there is a red flag. While not as bad, they also use artificial flavors and their chocolate is processed with alkali which basically means it only has the flavor of chocolate but nearly none of the benefits. They also use hydrolyzed proteins which can potentially be not as good for you as it's just more processed.

Collagen protein is already a proven joke, dont waste your money.
What protein do you fellas recommend? I need A LOT of it.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Wtf are you talking about lol. How is it a joke and where was this proven? It's only missing a single essential amino acid so as long as you are getting tryptophan then I see no reason why it would be a joke. Sounds like some bro science to me.

Animosity

Wtf are you talking about lol. How is it a joke and where was this proven? It's only missing a single essential amino acid so as long as you are getting tryptophan then I see no reason why it would be a joke. Sounds like some bro science to me.
Youre a literal moron who knows shit about fitness or the body. Get educated.
What protein do you fellas recommend? I need A LOT of it.
Just eat food my guy! But if you really need it whey protein is the best source. Brand doesnt really matter as long its not loaded with sugar added BS.

• 2Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Youre a literal moron who knows shit about fitness or the body. Get educated.

Just eat food my guy! But if you really need it whey protein is the best source. Brand doesnt really matter as long its not loaded with sugar added BS.
Lol ok retard just as I thought, bro science. Man you really can't wrap your stupid small ass brain around the fact that people like him just say word salads to try and sound smarter than they are to pump out content for the sake of content. News flash idiot, that's how they make their money.

Collagen protein literally has all but one of the essentials necessary to build muscle so as long as you're getting that from somewhere else then there is no scientific reason whatsoever that it won't help build muscle no matter how many dumb fucks like yourself you link saying otherwise. Is it the best choice? Nope. Does it work? Yep. Try harder and get a fucking clue.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Tangent, but I am curious if glucosamine/chondratin whatever the fucks supplements actually help measureably since so few people consume much connective tissue etc to get it there. Likewise wonder if it would truly help my sherpherd/pyrenese/rotty (why do I have all the fucked up medical dogs)

On the protein topic. I struggle. Low time, bad habbits, and stuff like getting fatigued with too many eggs. Eat most of my daily meal at work where prep options more limited. I've tried paying more attention, and I'll easily go a day here and there where it's nothing but veg/carbs or at best peanut butter.
Though last 3 days of leftovers has been smoked pork/bacon and pinto's so then it's like overload.

Only good thing is I'm happy with my weight, 6ft1 about the same weight as I've mostly ever been 195-205 but I've certainly reporportioned a little. I just am in the thread because i'm trying to be higher energy/making better muscle gains (though only via farmwork and not making myself find time to get to a gym out here rural) Basically doing all the things I should have in my 20's and at 38 trying to avoid that omg I'm 45 with a broken dad bod. (No situps and big dead lifts in my future after back surgery)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I am curious if glucosamine/chondratin whatever the fucks supplements actually help measureably

tldr; "At this time, glucosamine hydrochloride cannot be recommended based on the available clinical data."

Anecdotally, people say all kinds of things.

• 1Like

Animosity

Lol ok retard just as I thought, bro science. Man you really can't wrap your stupid small ass brain around the fact that people like him just say word salads to try and sound smarter than they are to pump out content for the sake of content. News flash idiot, that's how they make their money.

Collagen protein literally has all but one of the essentials necessary to build muscle so as long as you're getting that from somewhere else then there is no scientific reason whatsoever that it won't help build muscle no matter how many dumb fucks like yourself you link saying otherwise. Is it the best choice? Nope. Does it work? Yep. Try harder and get a fucking clue.
You’re such a fucking moron. You probably read bodybuilding.com and think you’re a genius. Yet you are trying to call the most respected guy in fitness science “bro science”. Yikes. Literally says collagen protein is not good for muscle building. But you clearly know more than him.

• 1Ice Burn

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
You’re such a fucking moron. You probably read bodybuilding.com and think you’re a genius. Yet you are trying to call the most respected guy in fitness science “bro science”. Yikes. Literally says collagen protein is not good for muscle building. But you clearly know more than him.
Bro it's a bunch of amino acids so of course it is good for muscle building. Wtf are you talking about? It's only lacking a single essential amino acid so as long as you are getting that one from any other source which is super easy to get, it sure as fuck will build muscle and aid in recovery 100% guaranteed. All you have is one random influencer saying otherwise and lo and behold is selling a fucking protein product lmao.

With that said I don't take any protein supplements at all and get it all strictly from my diet which IMO is the best option.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Bro it's a bunch of amino acids so of course it is good for muscle building. Wtf are you talking about? It's only lacking a single essential amino acid so as long as you are getting that one from any other source which is super easy to get, it sure as fuck will build muscle and aid in recovery 100% guaranteed. All you have is one random influencer saying otherwise and lo and behold is selling a fucking protein product lmao.

With that said I don't take any protein supplements at all and get it all strictly from my diet which IMO is the best option.
The older you get, the more you'll appreciate the help in recovery. Supplement in collagen in your 20's might not be optimal, but in your 40's that's another story. It can really do wonders on muscle and joint pain.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Pork butt is still one of the cheapest cuts of meat on the market

• 1Like