What vehicle do you drive?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No no no, the 4runner
Ah. Well not really looking to replace it anytime soon. I work from home so have to fill up like 2x a month from kids/errands type stuff. As much as I have the itch to get something new, it makes zero financial sense.

2014 SR5, 3.0 V6, black int/ext, 91k miles, 7 seater.
Mechanically no issues.
Could use a bit of exterior touch up; scratches, small chip in the windshield, headlights starting to show some peel/bubble.
A few spots of normal wear type things on the interior especially considering kids. Fitted mats all around so the original carpet is in great shape. Need to replace one of the gaskets around a passenger door and every once in a while in hot weather, the back up camera decides not to work for half the day.

It's been in 2 accidents? My dumb ass dropped coffee while merging into a turn lane, didn't notice the car in front of me hadn't turned when it had room to go. And I think someone rear-ended us once while my wife was the primary driver. There's a small difference in fit on the piece that houses the rear hatch latch that is visible if you're looking at it the right way.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So the S has been out for over a decade now, do you know what total maintenance looks like long term compared to an equivalent ice? It seems like the evs (well, mostly Tesla) should have a pretty big advantage without all of the random expensive shit that can go wrong with an ice, but I haven't checked into it at all. Doubly so considering how hard it can be to get people to work on anything these days.

My first Tesla was a Model X I bought in 2016. I am on my third Model X currently. I also own 2 model Ys currently. So I have own/owned 5 Teslas total over the course of 8 years.

In that time, I have only ever needed 2 services. For my second Model X, one of the Falcon doors had a faulty sensor and would not open properly. This was fixed under warranty. Most recently my current Model X (2020 model, 48k miles) needed a coolant change. This was outside warranty and costed me about $200. Outside of this I have not needed any other service, although to be fair both model Ys are newer (2021, 2023).

What does get expensive is tires. These cars are heavy and go through tires quickly. I have had to change the tires on my Model X at least once for each generation I've owned. I'm on my second set on my current car. They are expensive. I have not needed to change tires on the Ys, but they do not get driven much. My Model X is my daily car.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, this is super evident in Texas. Where we are perpetually being told that our power grid is a delicate and fragile flower and we must protect it by not overusing it, and keep our houses set to temps that would be best suited to a lizard in the summer.... But then we also need to start buying EVs. I know for a fact the street I'm on doesn't have near the amperage rated in the overhead electrical wiring going down the alley to even support HALF the houses on my street having an EV charger.... Apparently they would have to replace a large number of the distribution transformers, and the houses will in many cases have to be upgraded from 100a to 200a service.
Central air systems use more power than charging an EV at home. Stop listening to FUD.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My first Tesla was a Model X I bought in 2016. I am on my third Model X currently. I also own 2 model Ys currently. So I have own/owned 5 Teslas total over the course of 8 years.

In that time, I have only ever needed 2 services. For my second Model X, one of the Falcon doors had a faulty sensor and would not open properly. This was fixed under warranty. Most recently my current Model X (2020 model, 48k miles) needed a coolant change. This was outside warranty and costed me about $200. Outside of this I have not needed any other service, although to be fair both model Ys are newer (2021, 2023).

What does get expensive is tires. These cars are heavy and go through tires quickly. I have had to change the tires on my Model X at least once for each generation I've owned. I'm on my second set on my current car. They are expensive. I have not needed to change tires on the Ys, but they do not get driven much. My Model X is my daily car.
My S has not needed anything but tires and it is almost 9 years old now. My M3P has literally never been to the service center, I had mobile service come one time for a faulty window sensor. Car is 5 years old.

The (lack of) maintenance needed is insane.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, this is super evident in Texas. Where we are perpetually being told that our power grid is a delicate and fragile flower and we must protect it by not overusing it, and keep our houses set to temps that would be best suited to a lizard in the summer.... But then we also need to start buying EVs. I know for a fact the street I'm on doesn't have near the amperage rated in the overhead electrical wiring going down the alley to even support HALF the houses on my street having an EV charger.... Apparently they would have to replace a large number of the distribution transformers, and the houses will in many cases have to be upgraded from 100a to 200a service.
Is Texas, still doing Texas the grid is completely separate from the rest of the US?

There's definitely a lot of change going on in the industry as a whole. So much of the infrastructure is old as shit and in need up repair/update. It can easily cost $30k to replace one power pole (the whole process from inspection to actually putting the new one in the ground), not to mention updating equipment.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Have you ever made an inquiry about replacement batteries?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
They have 8 year, unlimited mile warranties on them, so why would we? It's under warranty.

There are also a lot of batteries for sale on ebay and other auction sites from crashed cars if you want to go budget.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ah. Well not really looking to replace it anytime soon. I work from home so have to fill up like 2x a month from kids/errands type stuff. As much as I have the itch to get something new, it makes zero financial sense.

2014 SR5, 3.0 V6, black int/ext, 91k miles, 7 seater.
Mechanically no issues.
Could use a bit of exterior touch up; scratches, small chip in the windshield, headlights starting to show some peel/bubble.
A few spots of normal wear type things on the interior especially considering kids. Fitted mats all around so the original carpet is in great shape. Need to replace one of the gaskets around a passenger door and every once in a while in hot weather, the back up camera decides not to work for half the day.

It's been in 2 accidents? My dumb ass dropped coffee while merging into a turn lane, didn't notice the car in front of me hadn't turned when it had room to go. And I think someone rear-ended us once while my wife was the primary driver. There's a small difference in fit on the piece that houses the rear hatch latch that is visible if you're looking at it the right way.
Makes sense. Getting a new car is rarely the sensible choice if your current one is ok.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Central air systems use more power than charging an EV at home. Stop listening to FUD.
While I assume true, most people already have them installed so it isn't additional load. That said I think most of the hate toward EV's is because of gov't pressure on adoption, the perception of douchery associated with EV ownership, all the doom/gloom about the climate, the growing pains of charging infrastructure, misinformation/lack of understanding of EV's in general.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
While I assume true, most people already have them installed so it isn't additional load. That said I think most of the hate toward EV's is because of gov't pressure on adoption, the perception of douchery associated with EV ownership, all the doom/gloom about the climate, the growing pains of charging infrastructure, misinformation/lack of understanding of EV's in general.
It's not additional load for the EV's either since most of them charge at night when the A/C isn't running. Almost all power grids have massive excess capacity at night for this reason.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
They have 8 year, unlimited mile warranties on them, so why would we? It's under warranty.

There are also a lot of batteries for sale on ebay and other auction sites from crashed cars if you want to go budget.
They aren't unlimited anymore. or after a certain distance the coverage changes? 8 years, 150k is the current warranty for battery/power train.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
They aren't unlimited anymore. or after a certain distance the coverage changes? 8 years, 150k is the current warranty for battery/power train.
Okay, well, again not really a concern, my M3P has 45k miles and my S has like 90k. Actually I think my S is out of battery warranty now since it is ~9 years old. The warranties on the new cars aren't retroactive, so for example my S still has unlimited free supercharging... my cars still got the unlimited mile warranty, not that I'll ever come close to hitting it.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
It's not additional load for the EV's either since most of them charge at night when the A/C isn't running. Almost all power grids have massive excess capacity at night for this reason.
It's going to depend regionally, I'm sure in a lot of Texas and other areas it doesn't really cool down enough to just open the windows at night over the summer. This was definitely the case when I lived in Vegas.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It's going to depend regionally, I'm sure in a lot of Texas and other areas it doesn't really cool down enough to just open the windows at night over the summer. This was definitely the case when I lived in Vegas.
I have solar panels/powerwalls so I can tell when my house uses electricity (and what circuits are using it) and between 11pm-9am or so, it uses like 20% of what it uses during the day when both my A/C's run a lot. It's not even close.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Lol no. Battery deterioration has been minimal. There was an article about a Tesla that was used as a taxi, has 400,000 miles on it, and is still on it's original battery pack.

I'm fairly certain I can keep my current Tesla and drive it as long as I choose to own it without ever having to switch out batteries. In fact, I have many other friends who own Teslas, and I have never heard of anyone needing to switch out their batteries.

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Think about that for a second. 8 years/150k for battery/power train.

What's the best warranty you think that is available for an ICE? 8 years/150k miles is insane compared to anything you could get for an ICE.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I have solar panels/powerwalls so I can tell when my house uses electricity (and what circuits are using it) and between 11pm-9am or so, it uses like 20% of what it uses during the day when both my A/C's run a lot. It's not even close.
Makes sense, and I'm not trying to defend "EV's took 'r jerbs volts". Just that infrastructure/cost of converting to EV's needs to be given the attention it needs, including education.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Makes sense, and I'm not trying to defend "EV's took 'r jerbs volts". Just that infrastructure/cost of converting to EV's needs to be given the attention it needs, including education.
It’s part of the overall vehicle future, not the sole solution. That’s what a lot of 85 pound, blue-haired soy-boy lefties don’t get.

• 1Like

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Right, it's just an attack vector anti-EV people use. Nobody ever says "man if we buy all these trucks, someone is going to have to upgrade the road infrastructure to handle the weight" because who gives a fuck about that from the individual buyer's perspective. But for some reason (actual reason: anti-EV FUD) EV buyers are supposed to be responsible for electrical infrastructure, battery recycling, the production of batteries with rare earths, etc etc.. I don't give a fuck about any of that, it was a relatively cheap car that goes 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, requires no maintenance, has cool tech, end of story.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
It’s part of the overall vehicle future, not the sole solution. That’s what a lot of 85 pound, blue-haired soy-boy lefties don’t get.
It's like any charged issue where you have ass holes on both sides screaming about how if we don't do X, Y will happen/let someone do Y.