What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's like any charged issue where you have ass holes on both sides screaming about how if we don't do X, Y will happen/let someone do Y.
I was admittedly one of those for a while. But, the reality is we need several different solutions for multiple use cases. It’s not an all-or-nothing situation.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The reality is if the government wants everyone to go EV, they need to build the infrastructure for it first. Don't force feed it on us unless you are prepared for and have capacity for the higher electrical demand. Don't rely on private companies like Tesla to supply your charging needs, build it using tax dollars if needed. Otherwise all you are doing is driving up the cost of electricity for everyone else if too many EVs end up on the road but you haven't prepared for it.

I'm speaking mainly here on the stupidity of California and their desire to go zero emissions by 2035. What a fucking joke. As if 1) everyone can just suddenly afford new cars, and 2) we barely have electrical capacity for our homes as is. You expect Juanita who just came across the border last year to buy an EV so she can come clean my house? You think she's going to be able to charge her car for cheap in her apartment building (at best)? Let me guess, you're going to make taxpayers subsidize Juanita. Fucking joke of a state. I'm embarrassed at times living here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The reality is if the government wants everyone to go EV, they need to build the infrastructure for it first. Don't force feed it on us unless you are prepared for and have capacity for the higher electrical demand. Don't rely on private companies like Tesla to supply your charging needs, build it using tax dollars if needed. Otherwise all you are doing is driving up the cost of electricity for everyone else if too many EVs end up on the road but you haven't prepared for it.

I'm speaking mainly here on the stupidity of California and their desire to go zero emissions by 2035. What a fucking joke. As if 1) everyone can just suddenly afford new cars, and 2) we barely have electrical capacity for our homes as is. You expect Juanita who just came across the border last year to buy an EV so she can come clean my house? You think she's going to be able to charge her car for cheap in her apartment building (at best)? Let me guess, you're going to make taxpayers subsidize Juanita. Fucking joke of a state. I'm embarrassed at times living here.
Government mandates are almost universally stupid whether we are talking about cars, jabs, or anything in between.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Central air systems use more power than charging an EV at home. Stop listening to FUD.
Yes, but in the houses in my neighborhood, 100A is the lucky config (I was lucky), some are 80A boxes in the house. So a block of 10 homes has delivery transformers on the pole rate for a max of 240v/1200A. AC does use more than charging an EV, but what if it's a Texas June/July/August and your AC is running at or close to 24/7 and you pile an EV charging at 240v and between 35-40A when at peak charging on top of that....

I'm about to have to get my panel replaced anyways so I was looking into it. As I want a hook up for a generator and ability to switch to generator if needed. Then I noticed some guys out running whole new lines (including new composite poles) in the neighborhood. (along the main streets like Forest/Royal/Marsh/etc. Talking to one of the guys running the cable they mentioned part of the reason was to gear up for upgrades, but next year or the year after they're going to have to replace the transformers, which is when I got my impromptu amperage lesson.

This is a bit west of you fancy Highland Park folks ;) I'm over around inwood/royal. (I figure that's still safe from doxxing. heh)

Is Texas, still doing Texas the grid is completely separate from the rest of the US?

There's definitely a lot of change going on in the industry as a whole. So much of the infrastructure is old as shit and in need up repair/update. It can easily cost $30k to replace one power pole (the whole process from inspection to actually putting the new one in the ground), not to mention updating equipment.
Still it's own grid, and there's a fight on connecting to the US grid. Looking at who is on each side the people I like to piss off all the time want to connect it to the US grid, so I guess that tells me where the smart people are standing. heh

I still dream of them really upgrading and moving from overhead pole power to buried lines, but that's a pure pipe dream in my neighborhood as it would necessitate destroying all the alleyways and re-running everybody's house connect.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Government mandates are almost universally stupid whether we are talking about cars, jabs, or anything in between.

Well, you and I know that the government that governs least governs best, but tell that to the 33% who thought Biden won the last debate.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, but in the houses in my neighborhood, 100A is the lucky config (I was lucky), some are 80A boxes in the house. So a block of 10 homes has delivery transformers on the pole rate for a max of 240v/1200A. AC does use more than charging an EV, but what if it's a Texas June/July/August and your AC is running at or close to 24/7 and you pile an EV charging at 240v and between 35-40A when at peak charging on top of that....
My car charges at 30A on 240V. The AC pulls about 21A each. My household loads are 10-15A @ 120V.

Even with both AC's running 24/7, you'd be looking at about 80A if the car charged at the same time. I have a 200A panel but even with a 100A panel you'd be under the 80% rule even with everything going full blast. If you ran your electric dryer and your microwave and hair dryers in every bathroom ALONG with 2 AC's and the EV charging... you could probably pop the master breaker, but in a house with 2 AC's you'd very likely have a 200A panel anyway. With 1 AC you could probably blast everything and be fine.

I dunno man just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Get everyone off the 1960's 14 SEER A/C systems and you'd do a lot more good.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My car charges at 30A on 240V. The AC pulls about 21A each. My household loads are 10-15A @ 120V.

Even with both AC's running 24/7, you'd be looking at about 80A if the car charged at the same time. I have a 200A panel but even with a 100A panel you'd be under the 80% rule even with everything going full blast. If you ran your electric dryer and your microwave and hair dryers in every bathroom ALONG with 2 AC's and the EV charging... you could probably pop the master breaker, but in a house with 2 AC's you'd very likely have a 200A panel anyway. With 1 AC you could probably blast everything and be fine.

I dunno man just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Get everyone off the 1960's 14 SEER A/C systems and you'd do a lot more good.

I'm in a house with a 100A panel, but also need to replace it. So that could be contributing, but with 1 AC system and the small server room/3d printer enclave/workshop I have rolling I get a power dim for a sec from time to time when the compressor kicks in. Newer AC to boot (less than 10 years old). Maybe I'm just unlucky. heh

We also lost power for 5 days here when that storm hit around around Memorial Day.. .I am very done with the idea of extended power outages and running a generator. heh

Siliconemelons

I charge at home, my adapter from Ford that can use Tesla super charger is due in August - almost everyone has signed up to use the tesla adapter so soon everyone will have access to good charging network.

There are others that are decent but nothing really touches tesla

Fucker

Log Wizard
Don't rely on private companies like Tesla to supply your charging needs, build it using tax dollars if needed.
Only way that would be fair is to tax EV's for the infrastructure....NOT ICE users. All gas stations are built using private funds, no reason why EV's should get some special treatment.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Lol no. Battery deterioration has been minimal. There was an article about a Tesla that was used as a taxi, has 400,000 miles on it, and is still on it's original battery pack.

I'm fairly certain I can keep my current Tesla and drive it as long as I choose to own it without ever having to switch out batteries. In fact, I have many other friends who own Teslas, and I have never heard of anyone needing to switch out their batteries.
The problem with EV batteries is accidents. It is common to write off an entire EV if the battery pack is damaged in any way.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'm in a house with a 100A panel, but also need to replace it. So that could be contributing, but with 1 AC system and the small server room/3d printer enclave/workshop I have rolling I get a power dim for a sec from time to time when the compressor kicks in. Newer AC to boot (less than 10 years old). Maybe I'm just unlucky. heh

We also lost power for 5 days here when that storm hit around around Memorial Day.. .I am very done with the idea of extended power outages and running a generator. heh
I wouldn't think a power dim would have anything to do with the panel capacity, you're getting a voltage drop when certain loads hit (likely your A/C has a big startup load). If you were coming close to or exceeding your panel amperage you'd pop the breaker.

You can also just charge at 10-15A if you wanted to, I've had EV's for going on 8 years and I can't remember one time I was hoping the car would charge faster at home - it charges overnight and is always 80-90% every day. It would be the same at 10A as it is at 30A.

Siliconemelons

220 - 20amp is way way faster than a 110 normal plug- but with the bigger batteries things have even overnight it wont do it all if your low.

If your chargin to 80 every night and only get down to like 60 sure, but if you are doing a 75kwh battery from like 10 to 80 a 20amp will show its slowness - i had 20a from my leaf, going to 40 was a nice jump.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
You can also just charge at 10-15A if you wanted to

I bought a Model Y this spring and was charging at 10A until I got the 240V plug installed. It took maybe 12 hours to recharge 50% of the battery, which as you say is totally doable overnight if you plug in when you get home. As it stands, on the 240V/30A it charges in four hours, which we only do about every five days anyway (we run cycles of 30% to 80%). My wife and I both work from home so we actually had problems with our ICE cars deteriorating from lack of use. The EV has been great, and even at our highest marginal electric rate is still cheaper per mile than running on gas.

I have no idea what the supercharger experience is as I've never used one in four months. Only morons buy an EV without the ability to charge from home.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Only way that would be fair is to tax EV's for the infrastructure....NOT ICE users. All gas stations are built using private funds, no reason why EV's should get some special treatment.

The difference is the government never mandated that everyone had to buy a gas-powered car. But I guess if the government had it their way, everyone would be driving EVs, so in your example everyone would be paying the taxes!

Also, we all pay taxes for shit we don't use. I don't have any kids, but I pay an exorbitant amount in taxes for others to educate their rugrats.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

You'd have to be driving ~180 miles a day to need this type of charging regularly.
As i said, if you are just commuting and chargin every night, yeah it will charge your commute every night in most cases. Yup you are right.

But miss a day, or are lazy… lol

I go a while without charging as i charge the van every night and have to swap the cord to outside mode for my car…

But your right, one car, normal driving an average commute- even a normal 20 or 30 would be fine for overnight- and overnight is cheaper and also generally not competing with a dryer… so it can in most homes just “be the dryer” in terms of capacity.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, the guy is an idiot for buying a Cybertruck in the first place.

I have no idea why it costs him $73. First, he's at less than 5% charge which is usually unheard of, as a daily driver you get down to around 20% and then charge. I guess the Cybertruck battery is that much bigger?

In a Model Y, charging from 20% to 80% usually runs between $8-$15 depending on when you charge. It takes about 20 minutes. You can also just charge at home for cheaper, just set it to charge after midnight and get the better rates with your power company if available.

I imaging filling a gas tank for a truck like a Ford F-150 has to be $100 or so.
It's CA, likely all kinds of tax surcharge and very high base rate as well.