What vehicle do you drive?

Siliconemelons

It's the Volvo EX30. Made in China for now, model year 2025 is moving to Ghent / Belgium to avoid EU / US tariffs.

Did they get the ex30 out before the ex90 that was announced like 2 years ago lol

Volvo really is a example of how a Chinese investment firm works well- they haven’t really influenced Volvo proper imo in a bad way, they actually have focused their vision on getting Volvo to be a luxury brand.

I had my issues with my 2016 XC90 - new platform new generation new drivetrain new infotainment and whole computer tech assist etc system - basically 90% of the thing was all new stuff.

but, it was a very comfy car, drove really nice, the Volvo infotainment was great, i did not like their move to android based, the interior was top notch the bowers sound system was top tier.

i see that they Chinese firm is i guess spinning up a Chinese arm, as you said yours is… if they keep the same as the sweed stuff, it will be nice.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think it started as the first couple years of the Prius were so quiet that people were getting run over in parking lots and stepping in front of them, etc.
Yeah, they mandated a back up noise is 2020/2021. I think it's Toyota that also makes a bit of noise when it's at low speed. That isn't required though.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I think it started as the first couple years of the Prius were so quiet that people were getting run over in parking lots and stepping in front of them, etc.

I can remember this nearly happening to me, it in the early years of the Prius. I know that because I can remember the location this happened, so I can place a guess on what year it was.

Anyways . . .

Parking lot at night. The car was totally silent, It was only due to me catching a shape moving in my peripheral vision that I stopped walking in time. But total surprise, left me thinking those EV's are gonna be knocking people down all the time

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
That way you can go get some food and take a shit without worrying about missing your team!

On a serious note, I'm curious what's possible with current tech. There was/is that Chinese brand with the swappable batteries, Nio? Or whatever you would do to run 800v in parallel or 1600v. It would basically be preconditioned (too hot?) 🤷‍♂️

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
In fantasy land, I'd have 1 of each in the garage.

I watched that one yesterday, holy shit @ that Lucid. 9 sec 1/4 miles at 150+ MPH from the factory?? I remember talking to a buddy back in the day who drag raced. Had a built up truck with giant wheels and tubs in the back with some gigantic big block engine crammed into the front, and I'm pretty sure he was getting 10 sec quarters. This was the late 90's so that was BLAZINGLY fast for anything you could still run on the street even semi-realistically. The only way to get faster was upgrading to like methanol or nitrous or something (even tho nitrous is cheating, IMO). A Viper was about the fastest thing you could get at the time from any factory, since Euro stuff wasn't really set up for drag racing and typically couldn't stand up to the driveline stress of repeated abuse, and IIRC the Viper was running 12.5 or so?

Plus the Lucid handles well, has a lot of innovative stuff in it, and looks pretty good IMO. Granted, it's expensive AF, but dynamically it's pretty much the best there is in most categories. I'd MUCH rather have one of these than a Tesla of any kind. But I'm a long ways off from losing my soul enough to buy an EV, or having enough scratch to buy one of these, heh. Still, the Lucid is a pretty massive accomplishment IMO. I hope they make it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The problem with Lucid is it's unremarkable. It's in that uncanny valley of generically pleasant EVs that you kind of miss when seeing them this you are paying attention. Polestar is another.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
The problem with Lucid is it's unremarkable. It's in that uncanny valley of generically pleasant EVs that you kind of miss when seeing them this you are paying attention. Polestar is another.
I think it's a little better looking than 'unremarkable'. I like it from the front and side, but the rear isn't great. Also, I'll take unremarkable over "LOOK AT ME THERES A BATTERY IN THIS CAR AND I'M SAVING THE PLANET" type styling. Haaaaaaate all this shitty blue accents/badging/model-trim names.

Its one of the things I think helped Tesla be successful, they did a great job of establishing their own design language that is identifiable but fits in with current cars. Cybertruck aside of course :D

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think it's a little better looking than 'unremarkable'. I like it from the front and side, but the rear isn't great. Also, I'll take unremarkable over "LOOK AT ME THERES A BATTERY IN THIS CAR AND I'M SAVING THE PLANET" type styling. Haaaaaaate all this shitty blue accents/badging/model-trim names.

Its one of the things I think helped Tesla be successful, they did a great job of establishing their own design language that is identifiable but fits in with current cars. Cybertruck aside of course :D
Yea but they're not common either. They don't look bad but if you just see one on the freeway unless you pay attention you're just going to dismiss it as random 2020s luxury sedan.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Ya for sure, that's a problem with EV's more so than others: you're too beholden to aero concerns in pursuit of efficiency at the cost of any styling flourishes a designer might want to make. Aero efficiency is nice and all, but it eventually devolves into everything looking exactly the same since there's only a few ways to cheat the wind best.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It looks cool enough in person, but it's not "aggressive" in styling. It does look different than other cars to me, like you see it and you're like okay what is that...

The problem with it to me isn't that it isn't good, it's a fucking great car. It's just ridiculously expensive.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It looks cool enough in person, but it's not "aggressive" in styling. It does look different than other cars to me, like you see it and you're like okay what is that...

The problem with it to me isn't that it isn't good, it's a fucking great car. It's just ridiculously expensive.
Right it's a nice car for what it is, I just rarely see them or hear anything about something novel they are bringing out. So unless you're looking for it you wouldn't even know it was a thing. Cyber truck the entire world knows it exists constantly.

Siliconemelons

I have seen a few, you do kinda go "what is that?" like you said, but really - it just kinda drops off from there... many other cars and exotics are "what is that! ohh...mmm nice" and you look and gaze and want to know what it is etc. the lucid, no so much.

Its like "Its a tesla and an s class smished"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have seen a few, you do kinda go "what is that?" like you said, but really - it just kinda drops off from there... many other cars and exotics are "what is that! ohh...mmm nice" and you look and gaze and want to know what it is etc. the lucid, no so much.

Its like "Its a tesla and an s class smished"
Honestly first one I saw I thought it must be a polestar or something else euro luxury car. Though I think I've now seen more Lucids than Polestars... I know they exist but not sure who is buying them. Compared to like Taycans and Model S which you see all the time.

• 1Like

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly first one I saw I thought it must be a polestar or something else euro luxury car. Though I think I've now seen more Lucids than Polestars... I know they exist but not sure who is buying them. Compared to like Taycans and Model S which you see all the time.
I see more Taycans than Model S's around my neighborhood. Shit tons of Model 3's/Y's though, I think most Tesla buyers are going to 3's/Y's because the value proposition is slim for the Model S price point. But Porsche doesn't have a model 3 equivalent so if you want a "not-Tesla" you either get a Taycan or a Lucid, since most people still see the Hyundais and Polestars as economy cars even if they are pretty nice in actuality.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, there are a few polestars around... the sedan ones, I have not yet seen the newer flock. A few XC40 electrics around also... Saw a new Kona electric and an old Niro electric also.

I am seeing a decent number of the EQS? the Mercedes Electric SUV. But S, X are all over, TONS of 3 and Y's - saw a few of the new 3's - I like the new headlights - I DO NOT like the new smushed pinched in front to "match" those said headlights...

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Lucid's are good looking cars in person. Technology is good. But to reiterate, it has the same problem as Rivian does, which is viability. Granted, Rivian got bailed out recently by Volkswagen, so I would feel more comfortable buying a Rivian these days, but Lucid is in such a niche market (high end EVs) that they may not be around much longer. Then what?

I remember I felt like the original Fisker was a much better looking car than the Tesla S....imagine you had bought an original Fisker.

History is chock full of great cars that didn't make it, relegating them to side notes unfortunately. Two of my favorites were the Cords and Auburns. Beautiful machines. More recently of course is the DeLorean, which I don't personally care for but at the time was a big deal with it's distinctive styling.

Just last week, for the first time, I saw a Fisker Ocean on the road, in a metallic red color. It was very distinctive and I felt a good looking car. Did not get to see the interior. Still, couldn't help but feel like that person is just throwing money down the drain when it comes to servicing and such in a few more years.