What vehicle do you drive?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lucid's are good looking cars in person. Technology is good. But to reiterate, it has the same problem as Rivian does, which is viability. Granted, Rivian got bailed out recently by Volkswagen, so I would feel more comfortable buying a Rivian these days, but Lucid is in such a niche market (high end EVs) that they may not be around much longer. Then what?

I remember I felt like the original Fisker was a much better looking car than the Tesla S....imagine you had bought an original Fisker.

History is chock full of great cars that didn't make it, relegating them to side notes unfortunately. Two of my favorites were the Cords and Auburns. Beautiful machines. More recently of course is the DeLorean, which I don't personally care for but at the time was a big deal with it's distinctive styling.

Just last week, for the first time, I saw a Fisker Ocean on the road, in a metallic red color. It was very distinctive and I felt a good looking car. Did not get to see the interior. Still, couldn't help but feel like that person is just throwing money down the drain when it comes to servicing and such in a few more years.

Yea. I mean ultimately you're taking a larger risk with anyone but major legacy automaker or Tesla. Even then tons of brands and models have been kicked to the curb in the last two decades so parts availability isn't guaranteed.

Siliconemelons

Hey a Fiskar Ocean for like 15k would be nice - I thought they looked nice and were a good size- they are bigger than a Y

Rivian I think will make it, the cyber truck is a 100k meme, the rivian truck and suv are the best of their size and type not accounting for money / cost imo. 3rd row SUV EV = Rivian, EV Truck = Rivian.

Maybe the Ram EV will change that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think too w/ Lucid we're focusing their top end offering, Sapphire . Looks like the base you can get is $70k and goes up to ~$120+ depending on trim/options. And for comparison, the base Tesla Model S. I haven't been in a Lucid, but I'm going to guess you're getting a more luxury experience.

1720820231934.png

1720820355206.png

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I think too w/ Lucid we're focusing their top end offering, Sapphire . Looks like the base you can get is $70k and goes up to ~$120+ depending on trim/options. And for comparison, the base Tesla Model S. I haven't been in a Lucid, but I'm going to guess you're getting a more luxury experience.

View attachment 536312

View attachment 536313

Yeah for the same amount of money, the Lucid is probably the better car.

Again, that's not the issue. If Tesla only made the model S and X, they would be teetering on bankruptcy also. Almost all of Tesla's revenue comes from the model 3 and Y. There is only so much demand for high-end EVs. It runs in the tens of thousands, not the hundreds of thousands.

If you have to save up to buy an EV, then the Lucid is not the smart purchase given it's uncertain future. Certainly not if you are going to rely on it as daily driver. People buying Lucids should either 1) have money to burn so it's no big loss if the car bricks or becomes expensive to fix, or 2) want to take a chance as a car collector and hope it appreciates in the future, like a DeLorean.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 536312

View attachment 536313
3.1 sec to 4.5 seconds, both seem fast, but the 3.1 second one will feel ~2X as fast.

The model S has also gotten a LOT higher quality materials and such than they used to have if you haven't been in a post-redesign one. I have no doubt the lucid is nicer, but you're comparing a RWD Lucid to an AWD Tesla there, not exactly apples and apples.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>

Again, that's not the issue. If Tesla only made the model S and X, they would be teetering on bankruptcy also. Almost all of Tesla's revenue comes from the model 3 and Y. There is only so much demand for high-end EVs. It runs in the tens of thousands, not the hundreds of thousands.

If you have to save up to buy an EV, then the Lucid is not the smart purchase given it's uncertain future. Certainly not if you are going to rely on it as daily driver. People buying Lucids should either 1) have money to burn so it's no big loss if the car bricks or becomes expensive to fix, or 2) want to take a chance as a car collector and hope it appreciates in the future, like a DeLorean.
For sure, pretty much on the same page for all your points. Though I'd argue with the general price of cars today Model 3/Y aren't really high end.

IIRC it wasn't til Tesla got the Model Y established that they really took off. Though they were positive revenue per vehicle before then. Lucid is still shitting money, like 2x what Rivian is doing. That said, I think Lucid has a solid chance of making it. They have top tier tech, made huge strides in consistency/reliability since launch, and have deep pocketed financial backing. If the Gravity crossover/suv is competitive in it's segment, and they have a "Model Y" competitor as their lowest offering then they're pretty viable. Seems equally likely that a larger OEM that's shitting the bed in the luxury EV segment buys them up.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
3.1 sec to 4.5 seconds, both seem fast, but the 3.1 second one will feel ~2X as fast.

The model S has also gotten a LOT higher quality materials and such than they used to have if you haven't been in a post-redesign one. I have no doubt the lucid is nicer, but you're comparing a RWD Lucid to an AWD Tesla there, not exactly apples and apples.
For sure, it had been a while since I looked at the lowest spec/cost offerings of each so it was as much a reminder for myself. For $70-$75k I'd still go Rivian. I'm mostly unashamed of my irrational hard-on for an R1T :D

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
For sure, pretty much on the same page for all your points. Though I'd argue with the general price of cars today Model 3/Y aren't really high end.

IIRC it wasn't til Tesla got the Model Y established that they really took off. Though they were positive revenue per vehicle before then. Lucid is still shitting money, like 2x what Rivian is doing. That said, I think Lucid has a solid chance of making it. They have top tier tech, made huge strides in consistency/reliability since launch, and have deep pocketed financial backing. If the Gravity crossover/suv is competitive in it's segment, and they have a "Model Y" competitor as their lowest offering then they're pretty viable. Seems equally likely that a larger OEM that's shitting the bed in the luxury EV segment buys them up.

No, I didn't say 3/Y were high end. I consider the S/X/Truck high end. Those all have much smaller sales numbers compared to the 3/Y. Anything over $80k I would say is "high-end".

Rivian has a chance because they are coming out with less expensive models. Lucid is coming out with an SUV.....which I am going to guess is going to be priced like a Model X. Lucid plans on selling about 10,000 cars optimistically in 2024. Think about that. That's going to be less than the Cybertruck. Let me ask you.....if Tesla only sold one car, and it was the Cybertruck, how long do you think they would last as a company? And that's including the fact they sell better than all Lucids combined!!!

The other issue with EVs is the technology, because once these cars are no longer supported, they are going to brick like old mobile phones or computers. I don't know if you own/drive an EV, but it's like driving a computer. There is so much technology in it, it's all software driven. What happens when that software is no longer supported? It's totally different than an ICE car.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I've gotten to do quarter miles and laps in a few cars in my day (cue Vivaldi in the background)...

In my car, I can get a respectable 4.2-4.4. And it's pretty exhilarating and fun.
Then I got to do laps and quarters in a Ferrari (488 GT IIRC.. This was around 8 years ago). And that can approach a full second faster on a 0-60 (coming in around 3.0-3.2).
Then laps in a Lambo (Huracan 610), also very fun, but not as exhilarating as the Ferrari oddly. It was like the difference between A super hot chick who is good in bed by entirely predictable... Versus the Ferrari which is that top tier hot stripper with some daddy issues and throws you around the bedroom and applies the old Rusty Trombone when you aren't expecting it after snorting a rail of coke off your cock..

Just the difference in acceleration and G forces triggered my fight of flight brain apparently in the Ferrari, because I was on an adrenalin rush for a while after. It was solidly one of those "I feel so F*ing alive right now" moments. heh I can highly recommend finding somewhere to drive one at least once if you can. In my case this was at a place called Motosports Ranch in Cresson, Texas.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

So if you are eligible for a 4k tax credit, you can get some decently cheap used Teslas. Might want to avoid the Hertz sell offs though, people love to beat rentals.

Teen is old enough to drive now, so I found an out of state Model S for 12k with relatively low mileage. I forgot they used to have sunroofs. Hell this 2016 has a cleaner exterior than my 2021, but that's only because Summon was bugged for a few months and ran over handicap signs and small children :p

s_20.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So if you are eligible for a 4k tax credit, you can get some decently cheap used Teslas. Might want to avoid the Hertz sell offs though, people love to beat rentals.

Teen is old enough to drive now, so I found an out of state Model S for 12k with relatively low mileage. I forgot they used to have sunroofs. Hell this 2016 has a cleaner exterior than my 2021, but that's only because Summon was bugged for a few months and ran over handicap signs and small children :p

View attachment 536412

I think one of the most important things to look for if you are buying a used Tesla is battery charge. Make sure there hasn't been that much battery degradation. Like you said, with those rental Teslas, who knows they may have been charging at 90%+ their entire lifespan and cooked the batteries.

For 12k, as long as the battery is good, that's an amazing deal.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Weird how I get a nice car again and all of a sudden the wife wants to go out for drives.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Admiring a nice raptor bronco on highway untill one of the retarded wild unkempt hair every male under 25 has, passengers dumped drink and bottle of the window into my jag. Just 2 tards with daddies money kind of thing.

Lost my damn mind, unfortunately they wouldn't leave the highway with me after I beckoned them. And I'm not to proud to admit I'm happy I didn't have any thing rocklike or my gun belt to Pepper spray their air filter or something.

I don't rage over bad drives etc much, but this shit gets me so bad because there is about fuck all you can do to hold then to account and they wouldn't do it on foot or on a slow side street where I could take them to task. Police? Lol even with a dash cam these days unless someone's shot don't bother.

Sociel norms just get worse and worse noticeably.

• 2Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man is holding his head like
whelp there goes all my car

fire extinquisher don't do shit, just gotta wait it out lulz

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 536412
Are you gonna lock him in this Tesla on a hot summer day as well Rob? You sicko..