What vehicle do you drive?

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
It is weird looking, but it's also in A Clockwork Orange:

Was gonna say, that looks like the car from Clockwork Orange that Top Gear also had as a candidate for restoration on one of their shows way back in the day.
Seeing one in the wild is pretty crazy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It’s the kind of thing that I appreciate and am glad some crazy asshole decided should be a thing, but I would never want to own one.

Similarly there are car that I recognize aren’t great looking or not practical for my use but still have this weird appeal that I can’t really put words to.
For instance
Jeep Gladiator
1723920354627.jpeg

Canoo EV
1723920581133.jpeg

1723920628519.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

lurker

Vyemm Raider
My wife had a 2013 FIAT 500 that I scared her into selling because a part related to the steering shaft was impossible to get. This was a couple of years ago during Covid and FIAT had already stopped selling in the US. The supply chain was broken and who knew if it was ever going to get better. FJB.

She loved that car and I regretted getting rid of it so we bought another one. It's 3 years newer (2016), but essentially the same thing in better shape. She spent two days detailing it. The car had a horrible vibration and a ton of road noise when we bought it but I was 95% sure it was just old and worn tires. New wheels and tires ordered online from Tire Rack and everything is perfect now.

Here she is sporting O.Z. Racing wheels and new tires. Eventually, I'm going to put a red vinyl stripe on the side and lower it about 1", but for now, it's fine. 1.4 liters of unbridled fury mated to a 5 speed manual.

P1030123-XL.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The new 500e Fiats are kinda useless when it comes to range and the back seats, but I do appreciate their attempt at trying different colors out.

fiat-500-elettrica-3-1.jpg

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
She's much faster now.

IMG_3417-1-L.jpg
I still hate that car, but I love what you did with it. The white wheels look great and the vinyl stripe adds some needed contrast. Only thing style-wise that might improve it would be an unnecessary rally spoiler.

• 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still hate that car, but I love what you did with it. The white wheels look great and the vinyl stripe adds some needed contrast. Only thing style-wise that might improve it would be an unnecessary rally spoiler.
quad light bar integrated into the hood....

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
These things start at 60k and only 230 mile range. I cant see a big market for this in the US. With such little range and EV cant turn it into a camper van.

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
These things start at 60k and only 230 mile range. I cant see a big market for this in the US. With such little range and EV cant turn it into a camper van.

They've definitely fucked it up. They could maybe get away with 230 as a base trim range. An EV9 starts at 54k w/ 230mi, 61k gets you 300mi range.
If you don't drive longer distances past little weekend trips it'll be fine, and range anxiety is overblown IMO. But it's not competitive in the segment and I assume VW is betting on the minibus feels/nostalgia to carry them.

lurker

Vyemm Raider

That doesn’t even take into account the electricity you’ll use while camping. Cooking, heating, hot water, lights, refrigerator. Not a good base for a Class B Motorhome.

Siliconemelons

That doesn’t even take into account the electricity you’ll use while camping. Cooking, heating, hot water, lights, refrigerator. Not a good base for a Class B Motorhome.

Not defending it... its a horrible range and price... they should have learned from the ID.4 on the price points...but noo.

but... non driving uses very little electricity really compared to /moving a giant heavy hunk of metal/

Tesla Powerwalls are like 27kwh, "normal" homes are 2 - 4 of em for like a week + of power.

Heating not by heat-pump will eat energy 2nd fast as driving tho.... so there is that.

edit: looked it up, tesla power wall is 13.5 kwh... so 4 of them is 54 kwh

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Cost is too high for what you get. Interesting that range is only 230 miles, which is like just slightly higher than the original Teslas. 230 miles isn't *that* big a deal when it comes to range anxieity, a bigger question would be how long does it take to charge? Because such a small battery makes me think it's last gen technology, and not the faster charging batteries that are out now. I don't know anything about VW EVs, like do they even have a charging network? Are they one of the companies that are going to use Tesla's network?

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't camp.....but don't camp sites usually have electric plug ins? If they do that should help alleviate concerns about a camper van being electric. I'm also sure if EV campers become widely adopted, then almost all campsites will eventually have electric chargers built on to the sites.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I don't know anything about VW EVs, like do they even have a charging network? Are they one of the companies that are going to use Tesla's network?

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't camp.....but don't camp sites usually have electric plug ins? If they do that should help alleviate concerns about a camper van being electric. I'm also sure if EV campers become widely adopted, then almost all campsites will eventually have electric chargers built on to the sites.

VW made Electrify America charging stations as part of the punishment for diselgate. They are terrible. Tons of them are broken and dont charge as fast as they are suppose to if at all. Electrify America was set up as a punishiment where they just had to say they built this things, not that they are well maintained or keep working.

At least in California where I am people like taking camper vans and even the old VW westfalia camper vans out into the wilderness for camping that will not have electric plugs ins. This new van will absolutely not be able to do that.

• 1Like

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Cost is too high for what you get. Interesting that range is only 230 miles, which is like just slightly higher than the original Teslas. 230 miles isn't *that* big a deal when it comes to range anxieity, a bigger question would be how long does it take to charge? Because such a small battery makes me think it's last gen technology, and not the faster charging batteries that are out now. I don't know anything about VW EVs, like do they even have a charging network? Are they one of the companies that are going to use Tesla's network?

My 2013 P85 which was my first Tesla had like 263 miles of range in 2017 when I got it used. This VW having 230 miles in 2024/2025 is way lower than it should be.