What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
finally got rid of my 09 Focus. did me good for 14 yrs (got it summer 2010) but i was not about to put another fuckin dime into that thing to fix all the issues it was having. giant crack in the windshield, the a/c took ages to get cold, paint was starting to flake off all over the place, speed sensor needed to be replaced, wiper fluid dispenser died. nothing i couldnt fix myself other than the windshield and paint but the car wasnt worth shit, like $2500 if it was in mint condition. dealership gave me $1000 for it which i was more than happy to take, was my only form of down payment on a Bronco Sport. yeah it's basically a repackaged Escape but it's fully loaded and was around $36k before all the taxes n shit. wish the cargo area was bigger but otherwise really like the interior and everything else about it.
14 years is a hell of a run.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First manual and he bought a tricked out Zo6 with a custom cam? lol, I assume it's a bitch to take off at low RPM. Maybe every light is a drag race for him...

I hope he didn't plan on it being a daily driver, because he is going to be hating life the first time he hits bumper to bumper traffic, if he tries that.

Also, that seems like it sold reasonably fast and ~2% less than asking isn't bad.
Not sure, but he better learn fast. 8 stalls trying to leave the bank parking lot. Needs more revs and clutch slip than normal.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Traditional auto makers just cannot grasp at what Elon has shown them for over a decade.

Insane aerodynamics and super light EVERYTHING

Just like that post of the rocket engine revisions he has done for the cars. That Monero guy that rips this stuff apart shows you. Not only are tesla frames half the weight of others but component systems like AC etc have been scaled down in components to like 30 percent. Everything is a weight save compared to the legacy makers.

The f150 lightning has like. 100kwh battery for 250ish miles.. that can power a home for nearly a month, full on… i keep comparing power wall sizes because people just dont fathom how poorly efficient electricity is for motivating cars around and how efficient everything in your house has become.

Making EVs like they keep doing they can’t compete with tesla or even rivian

One of the bold things Tesla did was put the sedan/hatchback style back on the menu in a car market focused on SUVs.

There have been gains in aerodynamics but they have been mostly offset by increasing vehicle size. Marketing likes to quote lower coefficient of drag (Cd) values but that is a dimensionless number that describes the effect of the shape only. A 1:18 car model has the exact same Cd value as a real one. Cd value has to be multiplied by surface area to get the total drag and the actual air resistance that needs to be overcome.

Cars got huge over the last few decades. Doesn't matter if the Cd value is lower if the surface area is so much larger.

1724578965467.png

Not even a truck only issue, even sedans got fatter.

1724580709788.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Not even a truck only issue, even sedans got fatter.

View attachment 543134

This is a bit problematic when doing tourism in Europe, the parkings in the centrum of historical cities are tiny.

Some underground parkings have 0% cars with undamaged rims in them.

I gave up getting them repaired.

360 camera is useless due to the inclines and how narrow it is.

Where I live parking spots have a length of 5 to 5.2 metres. It is so bad I don't want anything bigger then a 4 series.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
This is a bit problematic when doing tourism in Europe, the parkings in the centrum of historical cities are tiny.

Some underground parkings have 0% cars with undamaged rims in them.

I gave up getting them repaired.

360 camera is useless due to the inclines and how narrow it is.

Where I live parking spots have a length of 5 to 5.2 metres. It is so bad I don't want anything bigger then a 4 series.

Even in DC, the in building basement parking garages are so tiny, modern cars / trucks just don't fit in most of them.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Even in DC, the in building basement parking garages are so tiny, modern cars / trucks just don't fit in most of them.
I was in San Diego this weekend. Stayed at a place downtown and the garage was tight as fuck, small parking spots and really tight turns going up/down the levels. In fact right after we parked to check in, heard a minivan hit something while trying to get into their space.

• 1Worf

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Care Care Nut did a review of the cybertruck recently. Really goes into detail how different/better the parts of a Tesla you dont see or think about are compared to other cars.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Care Care Nut did a review of the cybertruck recently. Really goes into detail how different/better the parts of a Tesla you dont see or think about are compared to other cars.

So then why does it suck so much?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider

I couldn't get past the intro, the guy keeps repeating the same point in different ways. So far we've got a heat pump after about 5 minutes of filibuster. Got a cliffs notes?

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I couldn't get past the intro, the guy keeps repeating the same point in different ways. So far we've got a heat pump after about 5 minutes of filibuster. Got a cliffs notes?

Tesla uses less parts and puts stuff close together to be more efficient. There are a lot less parts under the hood of a Tesla.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Heat pump, 1 octavalve to rule them all, efficient packaging vs other OEMs, issues with stainless, fit/finish, pretty normal suspension.
I stopped after that. Dude needs to work on his presentation, and it’s all info that you’ve heard on about any other channel with similar coverage.

I’ll take Munro over this guy. They can definitely lean Tesla fanboy, but I kinda give them a pass since they tend to focus on the engineering/manufacturing side of things which Tesla does generally excel at. Also, they go into way more technical depth , which I really enjoy.

Im not sure if it’s done yet, but they’re in the process of tearing down a Cybertruck:

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Reposting this here since the Politics thread moves so fast many people don't keep up with it (including me):

They only named the OnStar Smart Driver program, so I wonder if this is only for vehicles with OnStar and can you order vehicles w/o OnStar still? Otherwise how would it connect to the internet to upload data?

No idea if you can order without. My new 2500 came with onstar and I knew earlier this year they were collecting data for lexisnexis… Once that story broke they quit doing it (allegedly) about a month later. This was before I ordered.

Fucker

Log Wizard
So then why does it suck so much?
All that engineering wasted on a memewagon. What a strange decision. I haven't paid any real attention to them, but that front door is a weird joke. I'd get tired of getting into the truck by the second time. Interior too small.

It would be selling like hot cakes if it had a usable truck cab and bed and didn't waste a ton of cash on that stainless steel crap that people cover up anyway.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
what happened to the accord? my 02 civic is still going strong, i think my ac is shot tho, warm air, can't diagnose if compressor or leak

Repair costs started piling up and I just couldn't justify putting more money into a $2k car. Over a couple years I had to replace struts, o-rings, rack and pinion, and a transmission. Every time I thought "this is the last expense and now I'll get a few more years out of it". Final straw was when it blew the radiator. Sold it for $900 as was to a friend of a friend.

I had a similar problem with the AC. I was just out of freon. No real leak, I just refilled and it worked for years.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Repair costs started piling up and I just couldn't justify putting more money into a $2k car. Over a couple years I had to replace struts, o-rings, rack and pinion, and a transmission. Every time I thought "this is the last expense and now I'll get a few more years out of it". Final straw was when it blew the radiator. Sold it for $900 as was to a friend of a friend.

I had a similar problem with the AC. I was just out of freon. No real leak, my just refilled and it worked for years.

Ill be that guy…

There is a leak, its just super small and recharging it allows it to work for an amount of time, and as long as the leak does not expand to a /real/ issue - you can just recharge as needed

Edit: that’s what many do as cars are very hard to get to in order to find and or fix the small leak… a 30$ can every year or so, well better than a full system swap for thousands

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Thought this would be a good place to ask this.

I look at cars in the FB Marketplace and I’ve been noticing a trend which looks like a scam. I see several cars, in my case small PU trucks advertised for way less than market value. Granted, they’re older but an immaculate 2001 Toyota Tacoma is worth more than $800. And there’s a pristine 2003 also for $800. Then there’s the gorgeous 2005 SR5 for $1200. Realistically, the trucks should be selling for upwards of $5000 in the one owner or showroom condition they appear to be in.

How does this scam work? I’d contact them except maybe the scam is they want something they get by having me answer the ad so I haven’t tried. They can’t be thinking they’re going to stick me up when I show up to buy it. This is ID. Almost everyone I know has a pistol in their console. Any ideas?