What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I ROFLed. Have my list of eleventy-bajillion people that I need to say “I told you so, leftist sheep”.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Volvo could never have met that goal...

"Plug-in hybrids are the worst of both worlds" - yeah... think of how this works people... lol... and I own one.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not only Volvo, but no manufacturer can reach that goal. There aren’t enough resources on Earth to do it, let alone the massive lack of infrastructure in every country.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not only Volvo, but no manufacturer can reach that goal. There aren’t enough resources on Earth to do it, let alone the massive lack of infrastructure in every country.

The future is gas cars but with a 15K regulatory required EV motor and battery that's a completely separated powertrain but can be plugged into 120v to recharge and gets 15 miles. Once it dies you just turn it off in the screen.

Fucker

Log Wizard
The goal isn't about green, it's about control. Smart chargers that governments can control. Drive too much? Use too much electricity? Use electricity during peak times? Let's tax that. California is going to require two-way chargers so they can use the battery in your car and electricity you paid for to help run the grid. Imagine having a fully charged car when you put it away at night, and waking up to one with a flat battery. They say they won't do that, but I guess they think all of us are gullible. The ultimate form of control? Turning off the charges so no one can charge their cars. Pretty hard to run a rebellion when 60% of the population can't check their mail without needing major knee surgery and stents...what will they do when the battery in their EV is flat?

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I've been telling people this since they came out with all these targets. What good is producing these things if you don't have a buyer? There's only so many people that can afford the cost. That cost will continue to rise, too. Subsidies will dry up, registration costs are going skyrocket, insurance premiums are going to snowball.

I've always said that electric was going to turn into electrified which will then start having the definition degrade - we'll start with plug in hybrid, then regular hybrid, then eventually mild hybrid. Eventually, we'll be right back where we started with ICE vehicles, but with a tacked on 48V system powering some non-critical systems like HVAC.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hybrids of any kind are a stopgap solution and the worst of both worlds, all the cost and complexity of a modern combustion engine and the added weight of an electric motor and battery. They also wear their small batteries out much quicker than full EVs for the same usage pattern (easily 2-4x the number of charge/discharge cycles compared to full EV).

If you're not familiar, the way charge cycles wear out a battery is measured in 100%-0% cycles. If you use half the battery charge and then charge it up again, that counts as half a cycle for wear.

So take a 50 mile one way commute as an example, a PHEV with 35 miles of electric range might see two charge cycles per day (charge at home, charge at office) whereas an EV with 200 miles range would only use two 25% discharges or a single 50% discharge over the same commute. 4x the wear cycles for the hybrid.

I could see hydrogen or e-fuels (synthetic gasoline/diesel not made from oil) being used in those places where full EV is not practical but as battery prices come down (and charging infrastructure improves) I don't see much of a long term future for hybrids.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hybrids of any kind are a stopgap solution and the worst of both worlds, all the cost and complexity of a modern combustion engine and the added weight of an electric motor and battery. They also wear their small batteries out much quicker than full EVs for the same usage pattern (easily 2-4x the number of charge/discharge cycles compared to full EV).

If you're not familiar, the way charge cycles wear out a battery is measured in 100%-0% cycles. If you use half the battery charge and then charge it up again, that counts as half a cycle for wear.

So take a 50 mile one way commute as an example, a PHEV with 35 miles of electric range might see two charge cycles per day (charge at home, charge at office) whereas an EV with 200 miles range would only use two 25% discharges or a single 50% discharge over the same commute. 4x the wear cycles for the hybrid.

I could see hydrogen or e-fuels (synthetic gasoline/diesel not made from oil) being used in those places where full EV is not practical but as battery prices come down (and charging infrastructure improves) I don't see much of a long term future for hybrids.

Aside from the hilarious fact that there Toyota Prius is a top seller, extremely reliable and well packaged for an economy car, you mean? Also aside from the fact that locomotives have been successfully using "hybrid" power for almost 100 years now?

It's certainly more complex, but the reality is if you want to mate the most efficient power delivery to the most efficient energy density, hydrocarbons powering electric motors is the best technology available.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Aside from the hilarious fact that there Toyota Prius is a top seller, extremely reliable and well packaged for an economy car, you mean? Also aside from the fact that locomotives have been successfully using "hybrid" power for almost 100 years now?

It's certainly more complex, but the reality is if you want to mate the most efficient power delivery to the most efficient energy density, hydrocarbons powering electric motors is the best technology available.
You ought to check the sales figures of the prius the last oh 7-8 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You ought to check the sales figures of the prius the last oh 7-8 years.
if you put the same 7500 tax credit on a prius that ev's get, they would sell out again

with no tax credit to skew buyer choice prius is high in japan
38729abd797c99e7cb695508d2fdd8c6.png

• 1Like

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
if you put the same 7500 tax credit on a prius that ev's get, they would sell out again

with no tax credit to skew buyer choice prius is high in japan
38729abd797c99e7cb695508d2fdd8c6.png
Maybe, maybe not. The slow EV's like the Nissan Leaf never sold well here either. The prius is slow as balls, probably has something to do with it. Maybe they don't care if the cars have 90hp in Japan.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Maybe, maybe not. The slow EV's like the Nissan Leaf never sold well here either. The prius is slow as balls, probably has something to do with it. Maybe they don't care if the cars have 90hp in Japan.

It's not slow? 6.7 seconds 0-60.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Rav 4 hybrid has stolen all its sales i think in the US
well, i mean the rav4 is just the best selling non truck

are ppl just getting the hybrid or plug in b/c thats the only rav4 left? heh

like, "yea we have 1 rav4 left, it's the rav 4 prime"

"fine i'll take it"

"oops it's already sold"

Palum

what Suineg set it to

"fine i'll take it"

"oops it's already sold"

Well chicken/egg somewhat but out of curiosity Autotrader is listing 15,974 nationwide and hybrid is 7,363.

Siliconemelons

"fine i'll take it"

"oops it's already sold"

Toyota started doing that, where the hybrids were the only thing. as their roadmap - and they didn't have just gad versions - they did this with the Van, and I thought they did it with Rav4, but I looked online and they have a normal and hybrid still for that one.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I bought a Rav 4 plug in hybrid back in July and love it. I drove 2000 miles and used just over one tank of gas, have solar at home and am basically able to charge at home for free. With a full tank of gas and full battery get 600 mile range with it.