What vehicle do you drive?

Achaeus

Trakanon Raider
So...

I brought my Porsche in for routine maintenance and replacement of some crankshaft position sensors just before Christmas. All said an done, $2371. They get it off the lift, run it to check temps and pressures. Tech says he hears a grinding sound and the car quits. They go look and the Timing Belt has eaten itself Mr. Piston met Mr. Exhaust Valve in cylinder #4. Bill to fix, another $3380. I think I will just bring it home on a flatbed and sell for parts...

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why is your clutch wearing out so soon? I used to get 70k+ out of my OEM Evo clutches.

It was originally designed for the Viper, which has less torque and weights about 1,000 pounds less as well. But, it was the strongest that Dodge had so, in it went. The fact that it's a warranty replacement helps, but for any serious driving I'll need something stronger. Normal cars definitely don't have this problem. My Subarus went 100k+ on stock clutches. But, the HC is a fat bitch.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
It was originally designed for the Viper, which has less torque and weights about 1,000 pounds less as well. But, it was the strongest that Dodge had so, in it went. The fact that it's a warranty replacement helps, but for any serious driving I'll need something stronger. Normal cars definitely don't have this problem. My Subarus went 100k+ on stock clutches. But, the HC is a fat bitch.

I know the specs haven't been totally revealed but what are your thoughts on the new Demon?

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
The clutch in my Mazda 3 went out at 45k. I've heard it's a common issue, but it still cost me a fortune to fix.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just lucked into the sweetest fucking Infiniti m35x. Its a 2007 so it was Infinitis flagship that year, it has a 160k on it, but it is literally pristine inside and out. The 6 disc cd changer is lol and no AUX hook up, but other than that for 7,000$ I feel like im driving a 40000$ car.

I owned a 2003 Infiniti g35 for 12 years so I wanted something similar. Its the same color just waaaaaaay better. All wheel drive when senses slip but rwd otherwise. What an amazing ride.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just lucked into the sweetest fucking Infiniti m35x. Its a 2007 so it was Infinitis flagship that year, it has a 160k on it, but it is literally pristine inside and out. The 6 disc cd changer is lol and no AUX hook up, but other than that for 7,000$ I feel like im driving a 40000$ car.

I owned a 2003 Infiniti g35 for 12 years so I wanted something similar. Its the same color just waaaaaaay better. All wheel drive when senses slip but rwd otherwise. What an amazing ride.

Awesome find. Every once in a while, people come across a gem like that. It may have only cost you $7k, but you ARE driving an expensive car (the CD changer is pretty funny though, these days).

I know the specs haven't been totally revealed but what are your thoughts on the new Demon?

On the fence. It'll cost far too much and dealers will add crazy ADM over sticker. I don't really like the hood all the much. And, one of the great joys of the Hellcat, is it's a perfectly cushy cruiser and GT car when that's what you want with awesome tech. The Demon is probably going to be stripped out a little and have more compromises.

The only thing I'm jealous of is the wider tires for traction. Otherwise, the power boost (it's likely to have 850hp) is easy to attain on the HC with a pulley swap and a tune.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
On the fence. It'll cost far too much and dealers will add crazy ADM over sticker. I don't really like the hood all the much. And, one of the great joys of the Hellcat, is it's a perfectly cushy cruiser and GT car when that's what you want with awesome tech. The Demon is probably going to be stripped out a little and have more compromises.

The only thing I'm jealous of is the wider tires for traction. Otherwise, the power boost (it's likely to have 850hp) is easy to attain on the HC with a pulley swap and a tune.

Great take. I like the fact that I can throw the family in the car and cruise around town for soccer and the mall, but if I want to open it up when they're safely at home I can =)

Still loving the Daytona, not sure I'd step up to the HC. I appreciate nice cars, but I'm far from a car enthusiast, and I'm just not sure I'd be able to take advantage of what the HC offers let alone the Demon.

Thanks for the reply.

Madikus

Knows nothing.

That's nuts. My evos all had 400-500hp and were fine on stock clutches. My FD was close to 500 and I actually snapped the clutch fork, but the clutch was great for all 30k miles or so I put on it before I sold it. The Z is only pushing around 300 right now, but it's pretty light and my clutch was built specifically for my setup by action clutch, so I expect it to last.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The issue with mine - from what I've gathered from other owners - is the fact that it's a twin plate clutch and it ends up glazing the discs and then slipping. On hard launches, the car just spins so it's not such a big deal. But, when you add drag radials and hook up hard, the clutch becomes the weak point (followed by the drive shaft). The 8 speed auto is pretty much bullet proof under 1,000 hp and then the traction management software can't handle things. But, the unit itself is tough. There just aren't strong factory manual transmissions for what cars can make,power wise.

This isn't the fastest car I've had, but it's the heaviest and when that kind of bulk is trying to move quickly, parts wear out quicker. However, I love the dual nature of it and thoroughly enjoy it as a DD, when it's working.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great take. I like the fact that I can throw the family in the car and cruise around town for soccer and the mall, but if I want to open it up when they're safely at home I can =)

Still loving the Daytona, not sure I'd step up to the HC. I appreciate nice cars, but I'm far from a car enthusiast, and I'm just not sure I'd be able to take advantage of what the HC offers let alone the Demon.

Thanks for the reply.

No need to have a HC, honestly. I did it for myself after a divorce and a move. Said "fuck it" to professional appearances (financial advisor and I roll up in a bright red noise machine with a license plate that says EVLKITY) and I just have fun. A Scat Pack is even too much for most, with 485hp. The 5.7 is a great all-around car for the family, for long trips (really nice mileage for what it does) and it's plenty quick.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
No need to have a HC, honestly. I did it for myself after a divorce and a move. Said "fuck it" to professional appearances (financial advisor and I roll up in a bright red noise machine with a license plate that says EVLKITY) and I just have fun. A Scat Pack is even too much for most, with 485hp. The 5.7 is a great all-around car for the family, for long trips (really nice mileage for what it does) and it's plenty quick.

Truth: I was gonna get a plate that said BLKKAT, but it was more a college team reference. Daytona comes in both 5.7 and the 6.4 which is the model I drive, has the same size wheels and brakes as the HC plus CAI which gives it a few advantages over the SP. It's basically a non-supercharged version of the HC, which is obviously the main (and a big) difference. I think it cannibalizes the SRT 392 a bit but that's Dodge putting out 18 models of the same car for you.

I could see myself getting a HC had it been available when I got divorced lol. /dodgebrohug

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hahaha, right on man. You're absolutely right about the model list though. Far too many to keep track of and I'm a car nut. If the Charger came with a manual, I'd have picked that in a heartbeat over the Challenger. I love the idea of a nasty 4 door that most people don't expect.

If I can get this car sorted, I'll keep it for quite a while. It's just a huge laugh to drive. But - and I've never said this in my entire life - if the Power Wagon comes out with the HC motor....I kind of want that. It would be even more ridiculous. And then, I'd go back to some boring German sedan for work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Sounds like Porsche should be eating that bill.

What I would say too, dealerships are supposed to catch shit like that when they are working on vehicles. The fact that they didn't and then it blew up in their care would have sent me off the deep end.

I would have never returned to that dealership if their techs are that inept.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Your HC is stock and killing clutches in 10k?! I assume you're tracking/racing the car?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup, stock. I've never tracked it and probably won't until May or June and driving enthusiastically isn't the problem. I don't ride or slip the clutch either. It's just a weak point in the design due to the combination of - underrated - HP/TQ and weight.

The team that is fixing it now is responsible for the Viper racing programs with Dodge and they built all of the Viper head/cam packages with Dodge's funding and support. So, they know their shit. They also don't really give a damn about aftermarket parts affecting warranties, which will be nice for the future. But, your surprise is justified, Soygen. It "shouldn't" be happening.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Totalled my Ford Fusion in the rain, so I decided to get something a little more stable. Co-workers call it a mom car, but whatever, I like it. And the sign and drive lease was nice and easy. 2017 Subaru Forester Limited

canvas.png

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Awesome find. Every once in a while, people come across a gem like that. It may have only cost you $7k, but you ARE driving an expensive car (the CD changer is pretty funny though, these days).

Was just reading that Demon will have no carpet, no rear seat, 2 speakers, optional passenger seat. I'm not opposed to the idea behind the car, but definitely not a daily driver type car and definitely not for me. I can still appreciate what they're doing with it but I like the HC more for the reasons we've already discussed. New video tomorrow.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I eventually saw that information too. Hilarious that it's so compromised. It's turning into something that would be fun once in a while, instead of a great all-around car. Oh well!