What vehicle do you drive?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was thinking more on what you said Burren and I don't see how those two mods would require a tune, one is just increasing the amount of air coming in the the engine (Which I've never seen require a tune) and the other is un-restricting flow after combustion so I'm unsure why it would require one. What car did you drive before that required one?

It definitely gets you more power to get the tune but your average person isn't going to shell out that kind of dough. You can also look into kits like Cobb offers, you might get a intercooler upgrade, intake, trans mount, downpipe and tune for around 1500 (pricing will vary). It all depends on what you want to spend.

Hekotat

Three posts in a row! Almost done, so very close. Hoping to start it next weekend.

BJVgGVt.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was thinking more on what you said Burren and I don't see how those two mods would require a tune, one is just increasing the amount of air coming in the the engine (Which I've never seen require a tune) and the other is un-restricting flow after combustion so I'm unsure why it would require one. What car did you drive before that required one?

It definitely gets you more power to get the tune but your average person isn't going to shell out that kind of dough. You can also look into kits like Cobb offers, you might get a intercooler upgrade, intake, trans mount, downpipe and tune for around 1500 (pricing will vary). It all depends on what you want to spend.

Adding intakes and headers/downpipe changes the air to fuel ratios and can lean out the motor in a very dangerous way. Products that don't require tunes also don't add any measurable power to speak of, which is why no tune is required to take advantage of said increase in air or exhaust. So, yes you can run a car with those mods and no tune, but it either won't make much more power, or you're on borrowed time (previous modded cars: 98 Supra single 76mm turbo. C5 and C6 Z06's with intakes, longtubes. 2014 M5, 2015 M6 with intakes, headers. 2009 WRX with intake/downpipe. All had tunes to be safe and make power.)

Now, some of this isn't going to be relevant for most people because my cars were modded more than the typical owner would. But, I'd at least get a Cobb tune designed for the mods mentioned, to be on the safe side. That's only another...$450-$600 (?) these days.

• 1Like

Hekotat

I think on a highly modified car you're right but not a stocker with an average joe. I've never seen an issue pop up but maybe some newer stuff or VW's require it, be good to check into before going whole hog. Unless, of course, you go with one of those tune packages.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think on a highly modified car you're right but not a stocker with an average joe. I've never seen an issue pop up but maybe some newer stuff or VW's require it, be good to check into before going whole hog. Unless, of course, you go with one of those tune packages.

I think you're going to be right, on a lightly modded car which - since this is much more common - has an ECU that adjusts AFR based on some factors like gas quality and altitude.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I think I have all but settled on a Golf-R for my new ride. The APR Stage 1 High-Torque ECU and TCU flash seems to be the way to go...3.8s AWD hatchback for $42k, why not!

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Adding intakes and headers/downpipe changes the air to fuel ratios and can lean out the motor in a very dangerous way. Products that don't require tunes also don't add any measurable power to speak of, which is why no tune is required to take advantage of said increase in air or exhaust. So, yes you can run a car with those mods and no tune, but it either won't make much more power, or you're on borrowed time (previous modded cars: 98 Supra single 76mm turbo. C5 and C6 Z06's with intakes, longtubes. 2014 M5, 2015 M6 with intakes, headers. 2009 WRX with intake/downpipe. All had tunes to be safe and make power.)

Now, some of this isn't going to be relevant for most people because my cars were modded more than the typical owner would. But, I'd at least get a Cobb tune designed for the mods mentioned, to be on the safe side. That's only another...$450-$600 (?) these days.

I owned and heavily modified my own Supra MKIV. Tons of people ran intake / DP / exhaust without tune. I don't think it will hurt things, but you aren't going to get the most performance without it. Intake / Exhaust mods only aren't going to effect the AFR to the point of any measurable damage.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was totally with you guys on the cold air intake, but you lost me with the downtube and needing a tune or my engine would blow up or something.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was totally with you guys on the cold air intake, but you lost me with the downtube and needing a tune or my engine would blow up or something.

You are fine running stock tune on intakes and exhaust mods. Don't listen to that nonsense. You can search the net for a million examples of people running that just fine. A tune would help your power for sure, but you won't have issues without it.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Modding for power? Yes, tune. Modding for turbo whoosh and a tiny kick? Nah. I'd rather play it safe though.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You are fine running stock tune on intakes and exhaust mods. Don't listen to that nonsense. You can search the net for a million examples of people running that just fine. A tune would help your power for sure, but you won't have issues without it.

A million people think they're gluten intolerant. That doesn't make them correct. I've lived the modded car scene for over 20 years now. If you want power, tune. If you want safety, tune. If you want simplicity and noise, don't tune.

Just trying to offer sound advice and help some brothers out.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, an intake and an exhaust mod are not going to alter your air fuel ratio enough to worry about running lean / hot cylinders. Would it be great to run a tune? Absolutely! Is it at all necessary? No.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My lease is almost up. Another 2 months and I'm swapping out to my next vehicle. I'm thinking about buying a Wagon of some sort, but I don't know what type yet. I currently have a '13 Mercedes C300, but maybe VW for my next? Maybe something else. I want a car that's manual. The Mercedes only came in auto, and that's boring. I also like having a good audio system in the car by default, so that's a plus. I don't need nav or 4 wheel drive. Sunroof is a must also. Aside from that, I don't care.

Wagon
Good sound system
Manual
Sunroof

Any suggestions?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My lease is almost up. Another 2 months and I'm swapping out to my next vehicle. I'm thinking about buying a Wagon of some sort, but I don't know what type yet. I currently have a '13 Mercedes C300, but maybe VW for my next? Maybe something else. I want a car that's manual. The Mercedes only came in auto, and that's boring. I also like having a good audio system in the car by default, so that's a plus. I don't need nav or 4 wheel drive. Sunroof is a must also. Aside from that, I don't care.

Wagon
Good sound system
Manual
Sunroof

Any suggestions?

VW, Fiat, Mini, Subaru, BMW. America doesn't get a whole lot in the wagon department. If you're OK with used, the CTS-V wagon is badass, but insanely rare with a manual.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Wagon
Good sound system
Manual
Sunroof

Any suggestions?

Wagon with manual is limited. Subaru is probably your best bet, and maybe a Volvo if they still do manual.

Hekotat

Wagon
Good sound system
Manual
Sunroof

Any suggestions?

Do they even have wagons in Hawaii?

Subaru and Audi would be my only pics.