Why all the Emulated EQ servers if EQ is free to play?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQ is NOT a single player game. That someone can box multiple accounts and run their own group does not make it a single player game. There are a few people doing this, but it is NOT the norm. I have that data.

How does that prevent you from grouping with people who don't want to box?
You may have some awesome data, fact is that if I were to start playing EQ now, I could shout LFG for months with only crickets responding.

If you're so much in denial, it's no surprise everything SOE shit out in the last decade is not worth playing.

Look at Pirates of the Burning Sea, the game you guys cut out a year and a half ago. That one actually had people grouping all the time, even if the rest of the game wasn't much of a game to look at.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hate to keep bringing up the progression servers (no I don't) but both times they launched, the population on emu took a massive hit. Half assed as they were, people flocked to them in droves. P99 suffers one major problem in that it will never be anything more than Classic-Velious. A stagnation server is appealing to some, but tried and tested, progression has more interest. I would love to see true progression from UI to mechanics but that is not reasonable. I have zero interest in playing a server that will stagnate.

It's not feasible to retro the game for Classic-Velious only to have it slowly change into current game. That kind of thinking is nothing more than a pipe dream. We should be trying to come up with real solutions and create a server that progresses closely to original but using the live client and tools.
I think some of the reason why people flock to progression servers is players (even those on P99) are chasing something that is pretty much unattainable, which is recreating the experience of EQ circa 1999. Now, P99 comes close but it's not perfect and I think if a big studio (example: SoE) were to make a reasonable attempt at the same thing (progression server), with their money and resources people will jump to that. Players are usually always trying to replicate a time when they enjoyed a game the most and Everquest isn't unique in that regard (look up vanilla WoW servers).

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I was trying to come up with how much I'd be willing to pay per month for an eq classic server from SOE. I'd probably be willing to pay 3 subs worth :-x. Instead they get $0 from me, while I play for free on P99 and get a half ass version of it.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
First, I will say that my time spent on multiple Emu servers over the years has had ZERO to do with cost of EQLive sub. Regardless what game people play, they will pay for quality content. It's a bit shocking honestly that you alluded to the cost having any bearing whatsoever. It just just reinforces the perception of absolute disconnect with the EQ playerbase.

As to your comments above re playing it safe to keep people employed. Yes, it has resulted in a bland boring, hyperinflated, alien world nonsense, single player game. I can't understand why you (SoE) can not make multiple ruleset servers, unique servers, basically everything that EQEmu offers. Give players choice in play. The die hard current players will keep their current content and servers, but you can pull in literally thousands of new players by offering them a real P99 type experience. I would also add that most would be perfectly happy paying subs to keep away from the F2P Station Cash bullshit.
Agree with all of this. Also, SOE is really pushing hard on the player driven resources and such with other games - let's see this happen in EQ1 also. If SOE doesn't have the manpower to make these happen (and I can't imagine there are hardware issues as hardware is cheap, and VM's are cheaper.) source some of this out to the notable devs on emus. Make them sign whatever legal documentation is needed to protect your assets and give the players the power to build what we want. It seems like SOE would be able to oversee something like this at a pretty high level, without having to devote grunt power to it at all.

I've never built a game, or played with the admin side of the EMU, so I can't speak from experience. Maybe that's my disconnect, and why I don't fully understand why this seems like such a hard thing for SOE to do.

Finally, I would GLADLY pay Legends server pricing again to have an SOE hosted p99 style server. I would envision something like a Diablo 2 ladder system - with a reset that has you transfer all your stuff to a server that is locked at maybe Velious or PoP (or both?) at the end of the "ladder" season. Someone smarter than me could figure out the best compromise, but you get my idea.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wouldn't call eqlive single player however, there is no content outside of raids that I can't do solo. The multiplayer is there but it is no longer required. Fact is that the majority of people will choose to solo because it's easier even if it is to the detriment of the game and their own experience.

I'd love to see multiple rule sets on live. 10 servers with identical rules is not interesting or fun. Players just bleed away over time. 10 servers with 6 being live and 4 being special would be amazing. By special I don't mean stupid shit like 51/50 or fresh blue. I mean alternate rules such as discord, fv and progression.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
You may have some awesome data, fact is that if I were to start playing EQ now, I could shout LFG for months with only crickets responding.
People were shouting LFG back in Velious. That's nothing new. Instead of complaining that I couldn't get groups, I went out and MADE groups. A little initiative goes a long way.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People were shouting LFG back in Velious. That's nothing new. Instead of complaining that I couldn't get groups, I went out and MADE groups. A little initiative goes a long way.
Shouting LFG got us groups in Velious. It gets us groups now on P1999 Kunark. If I have to beg all the people I can find with /who all to join me for a group, that becomes a little exhausting.

For the record, shouting LFG in POTBS got you grouped as well.

I was trying to come up with how much I'd be willing to pay per month for an eq classic server from SOE. I'd probably be willing to pay 3 subs worth :-x. Instead they get $0 from me, while I play for free on P99 and get a half ass version of it.
Same here, ?30 is nothing to me now, I'd be more than happy to pay that for an MMORPG I enjoy thoroughly.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Shouting LFG got us groups in Velious. It gets us groups now on P1999 Kunark. If I have to beg all the people I can find with /who all to join me for a group, that becomes a little exhausting.

For the record, shouting LFG in POTBS got you grouped as well.
To me that seems more a problem with the PEOPLE playing, than the game itself.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's your next answer then, the people playing EQ today aren't fun to play with

Would you consider that within your responsibility or is the type of people playing your game a higher power to you guys, like Earthquakes and tornadoes?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQ is NOT a single player game. That someone can box multiple accounts and run their own group does not make it a single player game. There are a few people doing this, but it is NOT the norm. I have that data.

How does that prevent you from grouping with people who don't want to box?
This is a great discussion. Is that the way you really feel though?

The barriers to boxing were torn down. Some of it was the natural progression of tech: Dialup turned into high-bandwidth cable, $15 per account turned into F2P, and computers that struggled to run one client got powerful enough to run three at a time without breaking a sweat. Other things were game design decisions: Namely Merc's and the loggin server client handling multiple accounts with simplicity.

Once everyone started doing it, boxing became a necessity. It is kind of like an arms race, where nobody had to use machine guns, until one guy started using them. Then everyone started using them just to keep up and the guy with his horse and lance was like, "Guys wtf? Can't we all just agree that poking people with sticks is more honorable? Put down your machine gun and come joust with me!". Yeah... that guy didn't last very long.

You can make groups and you can develop friendships with PUBs, it is just that it is so damn difficult. Instead of 30-50 people actively looking for groups at any given time, you might have 1 or 2. People will default to taking the path of least resistance that current era EQ lays in-front of everyone.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
The thing with old-school EMU servers is that the level cap is 50, or 60, or whatever expansion they're up to. You can't level past that, even if you wanted to. You can get the best gear on that server while enjoying your EQ nostalgia. On live, well, you can't do that. You have to suicide yourself to keep your XP at the level you want. You have to compete with people solo farming the old content for shits. One level 100 person can troll the hell out of your 40-person nostalgia raid by just running past your raid force and slaughtering the whole zone himself, or alternately, training the whole zone on you instead.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I'm curious why this is? I could understand it if people wanted the EQ + Kunark + Velious experience, but in all the emulators I see, none of them really give that. They seem more likely to give the "EQ + RoK + SoV, but change this cause that's stupid, and oh, I hated that thing, so change that, etc. etc. etc."

So without this turning into a trollfest, I'm curious what people think the reasoning is? And why do we need SO MANY DIFFERENT emu servers?

Oh, and I get the EQMac, old-school vibe. I do. I wish we could snap our fingers and make it happen.

And just in case people don't know who I am, I'm the Assistant Lead Designer on EQ. And I'm 100% seriously asking this question.
The answer here is that people are kinda dumb. They want what they had but those times is gone, and they're never coming back. They don't want to just play EQ they want to be young again. So in conclusion make a new progression server and stop putting out expansions with 3 zones in them.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure what to make of an attempt to insult my intelligence with such a poorly written statement. Perhaps you should have spent more time in high school English classes?
How do you get a snotty english expert off your porch ?

pay for the pizza of course

you can take it as a sign of utter disdain , as in you are not eben wurf 30 seconds of my time to be excellent wid da grammers

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Your disconnect is disturbing. You equate the LFG scene of today with that of Velious? You're so beyond reality I don't know where to begin. I'll try~

First is the solo mentality that you created by making content that is soloable by everyone. In Velious almost everyone was LFG because they needed to in order to progress. Now you need to search and beg people to be allowed to join their solo crew. Sure eventually you find friends and group with the same people over and over but that's not massively multiplayer, that's co-op. When I log into the virtual world I expect to find people to play with and who want to play with me. It's not my personality that's the problem, it's that the majority of players can solo and forming groups is more of a hassle than benefit. There are few reasons to group outside of social interaction. In velious there were reasons to group, IE. If you didn't you would be severly limited. In today's game you're no longer limited, it's really that simple.

image_sl

shitlord
To me that seems more a problem with the PEOPLE playing, than the game itself.
I think you have good intentions, but honestly what could SOE do at this point?

Keep in mind emulator servers we intentionally run older clients (primarily titanium client, some devs have underfoot on their server, but I dont think p99 does) just to get away from a lot of things that were changed with the live client as well as have a point at which we could even catch up (early on we were on a constant hustle to try to keep up with the live client and it wasn't really worth it). There is even a project called 'eqclassic' which tries to establish the 2003 (legendary client? forget the name), this project obviously has a lot of work to do since all the packet structures/opcodes were not yet discovered). To the rulesets and other server types I have to agree that the variety has been stagnant and what few servers do stand out eventually get shutdown and you are back to the norm (monster server, pvp discord server, pvp team server, etc.).

From the server side of things its not just the client/server code, but also the database part, you are talking quests, npcs, etc that did not yet exist or were modified. There were a variety of changes that took place from beta->original->midpoint to kunark->kunark->velious->so on that while subtle to most others will point out (we have this problem on our server all the time because we frankly do not remember every intricate detail of EverQuest back in the day). You got others who want to see the classic spell effects they don't want the new ones (the list goes on and on). Anyone remember how they broke the boats due to the DX upgrade and never fixed them for all that time? There are lots of different reasons and I think people can just pick off reasons if you don't cover them all.

It sounds like EQ Next wants to offer some sort of sandbox customization, but I don't see SOE putting time and effort back into EverQuest to offer any equivalent when it has so many other projects. Even if they did I ponder if the population would even come back in mass to justify it just because the saturation of the MMO market. I hate to sound so negative, but I think it is a point that should be raised. A bit off topic but while I am thrilled SOE is taking its attempt at the zombie genre, H1Z1, talk about late to the game, it reminds me of how long people were asking for PlanetSide 2, PlanetSide limped to the end. Frankly what I am trying to point out is, EverQuest and Planetside took place, SOE was ahead of the game, now they always seem in the back.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your disconnect is disturbing. You equate the LFG scene of today with that of Velious? You're so beyond reality I don't know where to begin. I'll try~

First is the solo mentality that you created by making content that is soloable by everyone. In Velious almost everyone was LFG because they needed to in order to progress. Now you need to search and beg people to be allowed to join their solo crew. Sure eventually you find friends and group with the same people over and over but that's not massively multiplayer, that's co-op. When I log into the virtual world I expect to find people to play with and who want to play with me. It's not my personality that's the problem, it's that the majority of players can solo and forming groups is more of a hassle than benefit. There are few reasons to group outside of social interaction. In velious there were reasons to group, IE. If you didn't you would be severly limited. In today's game you're no longer limited, it's really that simple.
JFC.. this.

Elidroth I really applaud you taking some interest in what is wrong with the current state of game, but it is staggering that these basic fundamentals are not understood.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Speaking as someone who goes back every now and then to put a few hours into the game, I think you already have your answer. People want something that isn't there anymore with EQLive. Cost isn't an issue, not when you can basically log into Test and have all content available to you for $0. But Test is wonky, not the least of which is because it is still a test environment and nothing is guaranteed, not even that you'll have your characters tomorrow. But there is a bygone age within EQ, before the filthy casuals flocked to WoW and changed the landscape of the genre, that isn't found in the game at its current state. There's nothing overtly wrong about that, by the way, but if people within SOE wonder why EMUs are popular, then there it is. Nostalgia can be a powerful drug.

Rogean_sl

shitlord
(Had this typed up since Page 1 but couldn't reply because of stupid user moderation).

Hey Elidroth.

I think a few people here have covered it pretty well. Everquest 1 is a pretty niche market now, classic everquest even moreso. One of the things I didn't really see anyone mention was instancing, which has been a pretty large factor into the segregation of modern MMO's.

Due to that lack of instancing and a no-boxing policy we have semi-forced together a strong community, combined with the nostalgic drive to re-experience, as best as we can make it, the classic through velious EQ content.

Communities can make or break a game. The competitiveness, and even the drama, which we have certainly have seen our fair share of, is an important part of that experience.

I spoke with a couple guys from the P1999 stuff years ago on this topic actually. I think it speaks volumes to how much EQ means to people.
I've been to 3 of the last 4 SOE Live conventions, and most of the developers have avoided me like the plague. Excluding my quick chat with John Smedley regarding our status, I was only able to open dialog with Piestro (Interesting conversation where he respectfully told me we were dicks, it was fun and hilarious), Brad McQuaid briefly, and just a few minutes with Hobart to offer my help in closing the EQMac PC Client, which he told me was already done and being patched in a few weeks (Which ended up being a minor change that was overcome within hours. I was sad.)

As far as SOE making a P99-Style server, I understand the issues behind it. Some of these are the same issues that drove the decision to close EQMac. A huge game like Everquest is more than just what the player sees. There are massive amounts of systems in the background that are also evolving over time. These systems include the accounting, billing, customer support, etc. Sony can't just whip out an old copy of Everquest and throw it up without significant efforts upgrading these systems. Not to mention client upgrades over time that have resolved compatability issues with modern hardware and operating systems.

What Sony has tried to do so far has been the right path, as imo it is really the only way to accomplish it. That is taking the current client and locking out features and whatnot. The problem thus far is that they haven't fully comitted to it. The progression servers are a good idea, and fun, but we all know they aren't Classic. In order for it to be classic, a ton of effort would need to be put into locking down or reverting mechanics to their old forms, just for that server. It would take a decent amount of time as well as hacking up the current codebase, which leaves open the debate of whether it would be worth it or not.

Trevius_sl

shitlord
Well, you got the attention of the EQEmu developers, since Secrets linked this thread in our IRC channel! I couldn't help myself from replying here. Sorry in advance for the length of this post. I could probably write an entire book as a response to your question, but I will try to keep it within the limitations of the max post size on these forums (whatever that may be). Assuming you are who you claim to be, Elidroth, it is exciting to see EQLive take interest in the emulator even if only to get a better understanding of why it has any player-base at all considering Live is F2P.

So many topics to touch on...

1. EQNext (not directly related to this topic):

As mentioned in this thread already, it seems like EQNext is taking an amazing leap into player created content to an extent that has not been seen on an MMO level before. If things work out the way they are sounding so far, we may see the first real revolution in the gaming industry since EQ1 hit the market and introduced MMOs to the world. Something that changes the game so much that players logging in for the first time don't even comprehend what is going on at first. I remember being blown away the first time I logged into EQ1. Landing in West Freeport and seeing dozens of players running around and even chatting with me to help me get started. No game I had played prior to that could compare. EQNext (or at least Landmark) has that kind of potential in my mind. It isn't just the building stuff, which we have seen in dozens of Minecraft clones (granted, nowhere near the same level of quality). It is the future additions of being able to create models and even some basic scripting functionality to govern them. It sounds to me like it will be a sandbox that allows players to create their own mini-mmo of their own to an extent. The dev team has already been surprised multiple times with what the players have been able to create, and I think the future holds many more surprises for them. I don't even believe they fully grasp the potential of what they are creating.

I wrote a long-winded post on the old SOE forums back in 2008 (or so) that is no longer available, but covered many of the ideas being put into place for Landmark. It was about player created content in EQ. I almost feel that it was actually read and discussed by the EQNext devs.

2. EQEmulator Centralized Community:

The Everquest Emulator stands out from many other emulators out there. We have a centralized community due to our global Login Server and Forums that allows all players to quickly see what servers are available and how popular they are. Many emulators run individual login servers for each server or small group of servers. That divides up the community and requires more advertising for any particular server to gain a player-base. It also makes it more complicated for players to switch from server to server, so it is less likely that players will try something new. In EQEmu, it is fairly easy to switch between most servers. Even if they require a few custom files to be downloaded for the full experience, at least anyone can try it out easily before deciding if they want to take the extra time to get the custom files. Other emulators also have many different favors of server code, which further divides the community. Without the centralized community of EQEmu, our project would not exist other than the Project 1999 server, which is extremely popular on its own due to the nature of the server. Even though P99 holds the most players by far on a single server for the entire project, the rest of the servers in EQEmu still double (or more) the total EQEmu player-base.

3. EQEmulator Server/Player Types:

Classic:

As mentioned already in this thread; one of the most common types of EQEmu players are those who want to have the nostalgia of reliving their first days in Everquest. This is something they can't do on Live currently. I can't blame them, as I have very fond memories from the good old days in EQ as well. I just don't have the time anymore to invest in it all over again. Also, a big part of what I enjoyed most was the mystery of EQ and exploring the world. Doing it all a second time would not be the same.

God-Mode/Non-Legit:

Many EQEmu players join with the idea of playing on a server in God-Mode. This type of play is of course very short. Players will join a server and use commands to level themselves to max level, and summon the best gear in the game. Then they run round to a few zones they had always wanted to check out, but never had the time to invest to make it to on Live. They will kill a few bosses solo and then leave the server and never return. This type of server is created from time to time, but generally does not last for more than a month before the players and the server owner get tired of this style of play. The only good thing about this type of player is that they may come to our community for God-Mode style play, but end up as permanent players on one of the custom servers that are fast paced but still have enough content to retain them as players for a good amount of time.

Live-Like:

This type of server tries to mimic Live as closely as possible. They generally work their way through populating content in the order that expansions were released, but are fairly far behind Live because they can't keep up with the pace or a paid SOE team. A Live-Like server would have been a good alternative to paying to play on Live before it went F2P. I am not completely sure how they retain decent player numbers since Live is now F2P, but I am sure some of it has to do with community. Once you spend a ton of time building a character somewhere, it is hard to say goodbye and start elsewhere from scratch. This is a very important type of server, as almost every EQEmu server is based off of the database and quests provided by a server of this type.

Custom:

The custom servers of EQEmu are by far my favorite type. I am probably biased because I have ran one for about 6 years. I am not sure you quite understand the extent of how much we can customize the content. It isn't just that some servers allow different expansions, or even different rulesets. Some servers completely redesign the content and story from scratch, only utilizing the existing available models and zones. Many servers have dozens of zones that have been completely respawned manually with different NPCs, quests, tasks, loot tables, scripted events, and so on. There are custom items (different stats from Live), custom spells, AAs, Titles, and just about anything else you can think of other than the models, zones, and icons themselves. We also have custom features that aren't available on Live, or at least that weren't when we first created them. For example, years ago I implemented something we refer to as Saylinks on EQEmu which look like item links in NPC quest text that you can click and it will make your character respond with the appropriate quest text. I believe something similar was added to Live recently (about time!!!).

Custom servers allow the creators to make something fresh, or even simply build upon someone else's ideas to improve game-play (or attempt to do so). Most custom servers are inspired by Live or by other custom servers. They then build upon those ideas to fit the style of their own concept of how it should be. There are many failures due to lack of the skill, time, and persistence that is required to create a lasting project. The few that remain over the years, are all impressive in their own ways.

Nearly every EQEmu player has played on Live at some point in the past. The ones that play on EQEmu Custom servers do so for various reasons, but one of those reasons is to experience something fresh. By joining a custom server, you are once again able to relive that time where the world was unknown and mysterious. Where you don't know all of the good places to hunt, or what the optimal path to level and gear up are, even though you are in the familiar EQ world that you love. It can be like experiencing a new EQ for the first time.

4. EQEmulator as an MMO Engine:

In EQEmu, we are all there because we love Everquest. The cool thing about the emulator is that it allows server owners to create their own world in whatever way they wish while still retaining that cool Evequest feel. Some do take it to extremes, and basically use it as a way to create their own game only using the data from the client to do so. In this case, it is more like an MMO engine similar to the Hero engine, but where most of the work is already done for you. I envision Landmark as being similar to this idea in the end. Players could essentially use it to create their own little section of the world for others to enjoy their vision. There is a 2D IOS version of a similar concept to this in an app called Growtopia. It is very primitive and limited in comparison to how I envision Landmark being in the end, but the basic concept is there. Players get their own little instances of worlds, and they can build it however they like. Many players have developed their own worlds to fit certain types such as the very popular Parkour world where they create courses for players to try to survive their way through it. Players have basically created their own mini-games within a game. I believe there is huge potential in this type of system, which could be heavily expanded on with combat and other common systems.

5. Player Created Content:

All emulators are proof that there is huge untapped potential in player created content. There are many skilled people out there willing to spent endless hours working for free to create something that they believe in and that others can enjoy. Many are able to rival even the top studios in my opinion.

I could line out nearly every aspect of fully implementing a system in EQLive to allow player created content with the flexibility of what we have in the emulator, but that would make this post way too long. Please feel free to contact me if you want a huge write-up on the concept. If implemented correctly, it would probably make the emulator completely obsolete and pointless. Being a part of the emulator team, I definitely do not wish for it to die, but if done right, I think our project would be happy to move under SOE's wings.

Having a system similar to EQEmu that is supported by SOE would be beneficial to both parties. SOE would be able to leverage a development team with a size that they could not otherwise afford. They would also be able to take risks (through player created content) that they could not otherwise justify to the business side of things. In this case, if a player fails to create something great, SOE would be at little-to-no loss. But, if another player is a huge success, SOE would also benefit from that success. The emulator project would benefit by being exposed to a much larger player-base that could easily switch between different servers to find the right fit for them. This would definitely increase the player numbers for every server over what we can currently strive for on eqemulator. The emulator project would also benefit by not having to work to emulate Live or work on compatibility and availability of clients that work with EQEmu. The focus could be moved to purely content generation.

If SOE was willing to share the money that the player created content generates, I can imagine highly organized teams of player content developers working together to create some amazing content. They already have similar stuff in place with the player studio, so I don't think it would be hard to rework that system into something that could cover player created content similar to what is found in EQEmu.

EQEmulator is big enough to take notice of, but our community is still relatively small. Imagine what it could do if a similar project was supported and promoted by SOE. I would not be surprised if it doubled or more the number of players on Live. If done right, it could be a huge success without impacting the existing Everquest players in any way.

My main concern with this system would be the legal aspects and unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable in that. For example; a player who creates a server with content that breaks copy rights (such as using a Starwars theme). I am not really sure how that situation would be dealt with other than maybe having policies in place to restrict this, and maybe a report system where players could report content that breaks policies. The reports would then need to be reviewed and acted upon by an SOE employee.

6. EQEmulator and Money:

Naturally, one would think that players turn to emulators to avoid a subscription fee or other costs from playing on a Live server. This is surely the case for some, but certainly not for all (or even the majority).

As groups become more difficult to find, many players resourt to multi-boxing. As someone who did this back in the subscription days, I can attest that that the cost of doing this is hard to justify. In the new F2P model, I don't really know the details, but I imagine a similar monetary burden for multi-boxers. In the subscription model, I would have loved to have seen a multi-account discount. I am sure that could have been abused to an extent, but it would have gone a long way for multi-boxers IMO. In the F2P model, maybe some similar discounts could be applied (assuming they aren't already, as I don't really know).

On the emulator, there is generally no fee for multi-boxing on servers where it is allowed. Some players box as many as 20+ characters at a time on some emulator servers (we call them Big Boxers). Being able to see more content and progress at a steady rate without having to wait for groups and raids is very desirable to some, and drew them into the EQEmu scene. While you may not want to see that extreme on Live, if you are still generating money from each account, it will limit the players to a reasonable amount of accounts in most cases and still allow extra earnings from them.

Many players prefer to play solo and/or don't have the hardware to support multi-boxing more than a couple of accounts. Some joined because it was free, but many also joined because they wanted to see new and different content or faster drop/leveling rates, or any number of other reasons that make EQEmu stand out from Live. There are also servers that are balanced around solo or small group play, which fits this type of player's style of play.

A large number of these players are willing to spend money even playing on the emulator. Players see the amount of work put into the servers and most are more than happy to support the server they spend so much time on. They aren't just playing there because it is free, which should be abundantly clear now that Live is F2P and EQEmu didn't even take a notable hit to the player-base after that change.

7. Personal Experiences:

My own server has hardly any players on it at this point due to the lack of time that myself and my co-developer have had over the past year or so to continue developing content for it. It was one of the top custom servers for a good amount of time in the past on EQEmu. As I am sure you are very well aware of as a developer/designer, it is very difficult to predict the success of content. We designed much of our content with the idea in mind that our server would have a large player-base that wanted very challenging and unique scripted events. Unfortunately, without the large player-base, the balance of our server is not stable and so it doesn't sustain itself very well. It is in a paradox of not having enough players to properly support the content we created, and without high player numbers it is not easily attracting more players.

I am still very happy to have spent so much time developing it over the years. We have created dozens of unique events and implemented tons of features and ideas that have been used by other servers in the community. I have learned a wide variety of tools and languages such as MySQL, C++, Perl, PHP, HTML, javascript, etc, etc. They have not only been valuable in my ultimate goal of someday creating my own game, but also have been great for my current career. I have created several web-based tools and scripts that increase productivity and performance of my entire project at work.

Again, I am sorry for the length of this post. Believe me when I say that it could have been much longer. Once you get me started, I have trouble stopping! There is so much left to say...

Lastly, I highly recommend checking out a few EQEmu servers if you really want to get an idea of why the emulator is as popular as it is.