Why all the Emulated EQ servers if EQ is free to play?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You misunderstand Torrid, I'm not referring to the competitive aspect of EQ at all. When I say other players are your enemy, I don't mean rivals guilds - I mean the people in your own group are often your enemy. But since this is about the difference between EQ and EMUs, I was specifically referring to the fact that as EQ has added content and complexity, it has made this problem much worse instead of doing anything to make it better. The problems are simply less pronounced when you cut down the amount of content.

Funny enough, people think that adding mountains of content is what solves EQs problems, when it actually makes them worse. The more content there is, the less likely you are to find others who want to do the same things you want to do.

iannis

Musty Nester
I can't even imagine what modern EQ is like. It surpassed tolerance by the 4th expansion for me. There was already too much bloat and you could just tell that they ran out of ideas.

And they've had like 20 more since then.

If I was ever going to play EQ again, it would be an emulated server that has been truncated. But it's kinda like trying to go back and play tradewars2000, tbh. TW was crazy fun back in the day but when you try to play it again you realize that all it is is tedious. Because you've already played it.

To me the question is backwards. With concise emulation available, who would go play f2p EQ in 2014?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think what Kreugen is saying maybe is.

The majority 70%+ of MMO players don't like to group. That includes EQ players. EQ forces people to group. The result is that grouping is the primary obstacle to be overcome in EQ. This results in the truth in the statement that grouping is the enemy. Your ability to overcome the group obstacle by whatever means(random pickup groups being the least effective means at this point in time) is what defines how fast and how much of the game you will see. I would argue most difficulty in EQ has also been washed out of the game to enable less then optimal groups to advance in the game precisely because of grouping being the primary obstacle in the game.

Most longterm players fall into two group these days boxers are set groups of players that all play at the same time and do new content as a unified group. There are solo classes that can do large parts of content solo like mages and necromancers but the vast majority of them have also fallen into one of the other two types I listed by now because doing so opens all or almost all the content in the game. There tends to be a constant creep in players from one type into another type as well soloers become boxers. boxer become triple boxer (most though agree with Kudo that they don't like to run more then two accounts at the same time), Fixed groupers add boxes and so on. Eventually everyone will have a fixed group and at least three accounts it seems. The fixed groups tend to smash new EQ content in a matter of days after it's released and want harder content. While boxers tend to go through a bit slower and may have to group up to finish off that last 5% - 10% of content they tend to approve of EQ content at its current difficulty level. Soloers may only see 50-60% of content solo but for many that is enough to keep playing.

The pickup grouper is fucked in modern EQ because there is no real need for the above types to ever group with them. The above also rebel against things needed to promote pick up grouping. EQ players are in fact a suborn lot and will in fact vote with there feet on content they don't like. So in fact forcing them to do things they don't like is much harder in EQ these days then it was in the past. The last time there was a decent pick up group scene in modern EQ was in HoT expansion in SS and MC. The result was pick up grouping in those happening and the majority of the three types I listed above raging about the overcrowding in those zones. That overcrowding actually being needed to promote pick up groups but at same time that overcrowding limits the speed of advancement for those that don't need to use pick up groups. The result of the bitching about SS and MC in HoT was that in VoA the number of final tier zones went from two to seven overcrowding vanished along with the pick up group game as well.

Trevius_sl

shitlord
I think what Kreugen is saying maybe is.
He already tells us exactly what he is saying:

Other players are your ENEMY. They take your loot, they take your XP, they waste your time. You put up with this in the hope that they will return the favor - and over time you run into enough shitheads that you realize you are wasting your time more often than not.
For the most part, there is more penalty from grouping than there is benefit. To really encourage grouping, there should be notable advantages in doing so for all people involved, and in every aspect of grouping, all of the time. There has been a decent effort toward this in recent years, but I am sure it could safely be taken to more extremes. Some systems would not be easy to adjust to be more group oriented, but others would be fairly simple IMO. Essentially, grouping should increase progression of everyone in the group at a steady rate.

Without going into too much depth on the subject, I think the points of other players taking your loot and experience are fairly easy to resolve. One solution would be scaling better to group size. There are already experience bonuses to grouping, but the last time I checked, they weren't that much better than soloing. Especially when you calculate the downtime that is inherent to grouping (such as finding a group to begin with when you could have been off soloing instantly). The group experience bonuses would be easy to increase.

Then, you are still sharing loot between the group, which means you could be earning less platinum and getting less rare drops. Many multi-player games solve this by making loot specific to each player. A more simple answer might be to simply scale loot drops based on the size of the group. I certainly don't think that drop rates need to be increased to be increased by 100% for each player that joins a group, but it would make sense to have them increase at a rate similar to XP bonuses. Maybe something like an 50% increase in drop rates for each player in the group that is added. So, a solo player would have a 100% normal drop rate, then adding 1 more player would add 50% more for a total of 150% drop rate. A third player would add 50% of the previous 50%, so it would be 25%, so the total would now go up to 175% drop rate and so on. This is just an example that would need to be tweaked to balance the drop rates vs the penalty of grouping to get the drops. The actual bonuses used should be enough to make grouping the clear choice even for people looking for loot.

Once you have enough bonuses for grouping to clearly make up for how much time is wasted by grouping, it should promote grouping overall.

Note that this does not take many of the current systems on Live into account, but it at least addresses some of what I consider to be major flaws in the original design of EQ grouping. There are other problems like having 700+ zones that divide players up, Or, having way too many quests and tasks for very many people to be at the same point on. You basically need to funnel people through the same path in order to promote any kind of grouping. I think Live tries to do this, but in doing so, they end up making all older content completely obsolete.

Elidroth mentioned how much work it would take to completely remake EQ within a new engine. One thing he didn't touch upon was that it could be done much cheaper/easier using the existing engine. Instead of having the dev team work on the next expansion with completely new content, they could redirect that team for a year or 2 to instead work on a revamp of a more classic EQ progression, which could be implemented directly into the current game. You could have a system where players start over in content very similar to classic EQ and progress there. Progress in this content may be able to relate directly toward your normal character (just for motivation of actually experiencing this content). Maybe each level earned equals 10AAs (or more for 50+). Maybe each piece of classic loot has an equivalent current EQ piece of loot with decent stats. Fabled loot is similar to this idea, but the loot would have to beefed up considerably to make them useful in current day for normal characters. So, you get an SSOY in the classic progression and your main character might get an option to get a superior version with respectable stats.

Sure, some people would be able to fly through this content and get some decent stuff fairly easily, but those same people would have just been flying through the current Live content anyway and progressing at a similar rate. It isn't just the lack of inventory space, or map or many other current features that make Classic EQ style fun and challenging, it is the difficultly, downtime, penalties, etc. Even the limited amount of available content is a good thing, because 700+ zones are just too overwhelming no matter who you are, and they only divide players up.

One of my favorite things about EQ was dreaming about what zones I wanted to go to, what mobs I wanted to encounter, and most importantly; what loot I wanted to get. Just this weekend, I found an old binder I had made (probably from 2001ish), which included hundreds of pages of maps, tradeskill combines, loot, etc, which I used to plan out my play time. On EQ these days, there is so much loot and content that it waters it all down. I don't feel the need to research anything anymore, which is good and bad IMO. By limiting content, you make the world feel more like a story where there are well-known and famous swords, armor pieces, places, and mobs. It reminds me a bit of watching The Hobbit, when they go over what the name of the different elven-made swords are. The swords were cool enough to have their own names. Now, on EQ, even though items still have names, it doesn't feel like they really deserve them. In old EQ, they did.

I better end it here before I keep rambling on...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I didn't want to start too much of a tangent. It was just something I felt was mitigated by EMUs with their smaller scope. They can get away with banning boxing etc because there's just so much less incentive to say fuck it and give up on grouping entirely.

kudos

<Banned>
Something else I've noticed after going back throughout the years is that the dungeons don't have as much character. Granted, most are just instances now.

If you remember going from Halas to Qeynos you had to go through this scary dungeon and it was an adventure. Norrath now just doesn't feel connected like that. Ever since GoD the world has felt empty and lifeless. The zones just are not interesting and I'm not sure if it was the graphics upgrade or what but it's just blah. The new models didn't help either. Whoever thought those looked like they belonged in EQ was smoking some good shit because it totally ruined the cartoon fantasy style EQ had that made it great even years later and instead gave you horribly animated and dull looking models.

What EQ needs is an atomic bomb to blow up all the bullshit content and to send it back to the stone age where you didn't have aliens and stupid other worldly beasts. It was set in a DnD style world and the monsters represented that. Running around Kunark you never knew what random little dungeon you'd come across. The world seemed wide open and begged you to explore every nook and cranny. I'll never forget the first time I had a group in the Sarnak castle in LOIO.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I didn't want to start too much of a tangent.
It's still an important issue I don't see discussed enough, really.

Even for groups though, I really can't agree that (all) other players are the enemy. Idiots and/or amoral players are the enemy certainly, but if you're capable of playing nice with others, you should have strong allies to rely on as well. Guild clerics who run through multiple zones to res you; friends who always camp your shit with you; etc. I used to have logins of about 20 people who trusted me that I could use to res myself, box late at night, powerlevel alts, whatever.

The problem is EQ's issues with other players causing grief is a necessary consequence of an open, multiplayer design. WoW's dungeon finder + need-before-greed rolling solutions ended up with players who never communicated with each other, never formed friendships because they never saw each other again, (they couldn't really, being on different servers) and players who rolled need on every single drop to sell it for 20g to a vendor even when somebody in group would use it; after all, you'd never see them again so why not be an asshole for 20g? Even in Blizzard's sterile games, people find ways to grief others.

GW2 actually had a system similar to what I was proposing for years: remove the need to add people to groups, and merely just show up and hack stuff and have the server share the spoils based on contribution. What I quickly learned in that game was that, again, nobody communicated or coordinated with each other at all-- other players might as well be bots who are just there to autoattack things next to you. Time and time again I've seen attempts to fix EQ's problems just create new, often larger ones.

The way to advance in EQ was building relationships with other players, not farming loot or gaining levels. You needed to identify who you wanted to be friends with and make an effort to get them to like you. If you succeeded at befriending the right people, and assuming you're not an asshole, then the multiplayer issues tended to disappear. The anti-social people failed to do this and had a bad experience with the game.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Which works fine when a game is new but falls apart over time. The only way to solve that in EQ is to hit the reset button.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Which works fine when a game is new but falls apart over time. The only way to solve that in EQ is to hit the reset button.
Exactly what I said in the beginning of the thread. Some type of reoccurring reset similar to a ladder system. With some means of translating your progress into either the old live servers or another "progression" style server that all completed "ladder" characters move to at the end of a season.

kudos

<Banned>
It's very simple. You make a progression server with the same unlock timeframe as the original game. After you hit Velious of SoL or whatever expansion is agreed upon you throw all those characters onto their own server that stays at that expansion. When the next progression server comes along and hits that same ending expansion you throw them on the same server as the last ones and rinse / repeat. That way you only really have 2 servers but constantly have a progression server going. Most likely the community will migrate back to the new progression server eventually anyways so the old character server never gets too full. If it does then oh well you have a robust community to play with in old EQ.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's very simple. You make a progression server with the same unlock timeframe as the original game. After you hit Velious of SoL or whatever expansion is agreed upon you throw all those characters onto their own server that stays at that expansion. When the next progression server comes along and hits that same ending expansion you throw them on the same server as the last ones and rinse / repeat. That way you only really have 2 servers but constantly have a progression server going. Most likely the community will migrate back to the new progression server eventually anyways so the old character server never gets too full. If it does then oh well you have a robust community to play with in old EQ.
Yep. The easiest solution in the world and no one running EQ servers can figure it out for some reason. Mentioned that earlier in this thread. Can't figure out why Rogean and the others can't put it together.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep people do like new fresh servers.

server 1 Classic, Kunark
server 2 Velnius, Luclin
server 3 PoP, LDoN
server 4 final destination server the same as server 3 still locked at PoP-LDoN but with the option of a free character transfer to a live server.

Each year all servers populations but final the destination server move up the server list one spot. Server 1 restarts as a fresh server every year, with server 1s existing population moving to server 2. server 2s population moves to server 3s server 3 population merges into server 4. If server 4 becomes to crowded then server 5 is created that is the same as server 4 rule wise.

That way you get that day one feeling of expansions opening along with limited progression and a classic end state.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
This thread makes me feel bad about the MMO industry.

Maybe someone should give SOE some insight. I think if they offer 15-20k/month they might be able to find someone with this insight. I hear this Brad guy is lfg btw. Don't get him, he's a known ninjalooter.

But seriously, what a thread.

imijj_sl

shitlord
EQ is NOT a single player game. That someone can box multiple accounts and run their own group does not make it a single player game. There are a few people doing this, but it is NOT the norm. I have that data.

How does that prevent you from grouping with people who don't want to box?
This is just wrong. I went back to EQLive a few years ago before finding P99, and in all the time I spent leveling up I never even saw another person (outside of the teleport hub thing) or found a single group. If I remember right, I could just AFK while my merc slaughtered everything around me.

The look of the game is just terrible, too. The luclin models and all of the horrible glowing crap makes me want to never go back. There is pretty much no reason to play EQLivea this point because SOE has killed all of the things that made EQ great. What is the point of playing a 15 year old game that's just trying to be a half-assed WoW?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
EQ is NOT a single player game. That someone can box multiple accounts and run their own group does not make it a single player game. There are a few people doing this, but it is NOT the norm. I have that data.

How does that prevent you from grouping with people who don't want to box?
The game is what you (Elidroth) make it. If it's not single player it's because you don't allow single player/boxing/Moloing in latest content. You don't just have access to the data, you create it by limiting what can and can't be done solo/boxing.

You still commit major systems to Mercs and solo/boxing players. Latest expansions brought us AA for Mercs and gear for Mercs. Yet the majority of current content is instanced so Mercs can't be used.

The TLDR is EQ1 is dieing a long, slow painful death because people are being pressured into doing things they don't want to do, in ways they don't want to do it. Either remove Mercs from the game or allow Mercs in instanced content. Until one of those things happens EQLive is a confused, schizophrenic place that doesn't know what it wants to be. IMO a lot more people would be in current content and playing the game if they could use Mercs there.

As for people grouping the majority of those for the last couple of years - in my experience and observation - have been people paying to be AFK power leveled. Here's a real, typical, ss I took of General chat a couple months back :

rrr_img_66291.jpg

Rogean_sl

shitlord
Yep. The easiest solution in the world and no one running EQ servers can figure it out for some reason. Mentioned that earlier in this thread. Can't figure out why Rogean and the others can't put it together.
This has actually been our plan for several years and has been stated as such several times on our forums. In order to enact that plan, we have to first get to Velious. Once we've been in Velious long enough, that second server will begin.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The game is what you (Elidroth) make it. If it's not single player it's because you don't allow single player/boxing/Moloing in latest content. You don't just have access to the data, you create it by limiting what can and can't be done solo/boxing.

You still commit major systems to Mercs and solo/boxing players. Latest expansions brought us AA for Mercs and gear for Mercs. Yet the majority of current content is instanced so Mercs can't be used.

The TLDR is EQ1 is dieing a long, slow painful death because people are being pressured into doing things they don't want to do, in ways they don't want to do it. Either remove Mercs from the game or allow Mercs in instanced content. Until one of those things happens EQLive is a confused, schizophrenic place that doesn't know what it wants to be. IMO a lot more people would be in current content and playing the game if they could use Mercs there.
Uhhhh mercs are allowed in instances. Players use them there all the time; the number of groups running CotF heroic adventures without a mercenary in their party is, in my experience, astonishingly low.

Mercs cannot be used in designated raid zones (which includes some instances), but no one wants them there anyway. Except people going back to farm old content that they can't handle solo but don't want to share loot with anyone else.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Uhhhh mercs are allowed in instances. Players use them there all the time; the number of groups running CotF heroic adventures without a mercenary in their party is, in my experience, astonishingly low.

Mercs cannot be used in designated raid zones (which includes some instances), but no one wants them there anyway.
My bad, I've never used them there.

but no one wants them there anyway
Everyone is using them - no-one wants them. Kind of my point about it being a schizophrenic and confused system. The numbers of people raiding gets smaller all the time, but they've always been the loud obnoxious folk on the forums who SoE have paid too much attention to leading to this half assed bastard EQLive is now.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Everyone is using them - no-one wants them. Kind of my point about it being a schizophrenic and confused system. The numbers of people raiding gets smaller all the time, but they've always been the loud obnoxious folk on the forums who SoE have paid too much attention to leading to this half assed bastard EQLive is now.
All sorts of people want mercs in their group, for reasons already posted in this thread.

Mercs are reliable--they don't go AFK--and they don't roll against you for loot. Getting some players to drop a merc when someone is LFG if like pulling teeth.

Mercs are a symptom of what is wrong with the abhorrence that EQLive has become.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This has actually been our plan for several years and has been stated as such several times on our forums. In order to enact that plan, we have to first get to Velious. Once we've been in Velious long enough, that second server will begin.
So your plan looks like this:

Server A- current blue server

Server B- new blue progression server

1. Open Server B after Velious launch.

2. Run Server B through the progressions to a certain point in Velious.

3. Merge Server B with Server A.

4. Restart a fresh Server B, rinse, repeat.

Is that correct?