Windows 8

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Like I said 'cost' has a lot of possible definitions in economic terms.

Not being able to sell your clients on new services because they're still on the old platform is a 'cost' of them still being on the old platform.
They now have the 'cost' of two OS'es instead of one ...

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
a_skeleton_03 that was going to happen regardless of whether or not they encouraged adoption of the new OS. It does make some sense that they would want users all on the same platform. They've already discontinued tech support for 7 and I'm sure they want to leave 8 far behind them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
a_skeleton_03 that was going to happen regardless of whether or not they encouraged adoption of the new OS. It does make some sense that they would want users all on the same platform. They've already discontinued tech support for 7 and I'm sure they want to leave 8 far behind them.
Look how fast they dumped 7. They are dumping 8 probably immediately after the year upgrade for free window.

They aren't doing Windows 10 for cost savings of legacy OS support.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How much different is it to develop for windows 8 as compared to 7? Could this be just to make it easier for everyone to develop for one OS instead of several. I seriously don't know shit about this but I am very curious about this move.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So the new tech preview is out. Who has the balls to try to run it as their daily driver?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
soon-meme-1.jpg

Silence_sl

shitlord
Trying again to grab the preview. First try timed out after a gig or so. Use MDM to avoid broken downloads.

I put Parallels 10 on my Mini...pretty slick program so far. It has links on the opener page to common free programs; Linux, Chrome OS. Even a link to the W10TP.

I don't know what the people over at MS are doing, but they've done a pretty good job at making OSX Yosemite look like something out of the 22nd century.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Upgraded my main PC, about an hour before I went to a LAN, what could possibly go wrong?
wink.png

No complaints/problems so far, haven't really used a start menu in a few years so it's not exactly some amazing new addition. Haven't played with Cortana yet.

I really like snapping something to the right and the UI then asking me what should be snapped to the left. That and just some of the minor UI changes to things like alt-tab are small touches I enjoy so far.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's so facepalm, because it's exactly what Windows 8 should have been.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ive had w10 on my main machine since it was put out there and ive run into no problems thus far, then again i only use my pc for pen test, wow, and DA:I.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The big question is what will be the new excuse when people don't bother to buy it or their shitty phone?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The best non-cosmetic/UI feature so far is the ability to easily sign into every App individually, INCLUDING OneDrive, rather than being forced to use a Microsoft account. It still tries to convince you to do so (and not quite as heavy handed as before) but doesn't force you. And if you're using a local account already, each app is already configured to ask you for an individual login.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No, I just think the idea of having a single sign-in for your PC AND all of your accounts for EVERYTHING is fucking retarded.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A solid layer between OS login and web/app services login seems like an important security barrier to me. It's even more absurd when Microsoft expected people to use their work domain accounts as Microsoft accounts.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
My WoW acct was never hacked until they made me log in with my e-mail. Seems similar. I shall attach my sail barge to your bandwagon.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
will i be able to run Steam and play dota if i install windows 10 preview
I have Win10 preview on my Surface and it runs Civ V on Steam just fine.

Been running 10 for a few months now and no issues so far. Will probably upgrade my main PC to 10 very soon. I do wish it was more customizable with many more options. There is a win8-style news feed tile on the Start menu, which is OK, but I'd really like to detach it from the Start menu and put it as a stand-alone tile on the desktop (like a Rainmeter tile). Little shit like that would make a world of difference to me.