Windows 8

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Win 10 is pretty zippy on even shit hardware. Microsoft has gotten pretty good at that part.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Win 10 is pretty zippy on even shit hardware. Microsoft has gotten pretty good at that part.
True that. Win 8.1 is pretty decent, too. I've got an utterly shit Toshiba with Celeron 1037U and crap SSD. Boots to desktop in seconds from dead cold off.

OSX Yosemite is a slow, buggy mess of an OS. It feels like Windows Me all over again. It's pokey even on a fast, quality SSD. Lag...lag...lag, everywhere. Win10 on the same box/SSD feels like a jet fighter in comparison.

Funny thing about Apple: their local (to me) copy of Yosemite has been broken for months. Internet restore from cold or DL'ing Yosemite from the app store always produces a broken copy of OSX. Many people all over have the same experience. I guess they employ muppets, but whatever. Point is, simply reinstalling their OS can be a major pain in the nuts if Apple keeps a broken copy of their OS on whatever CDN it routes your box to. I had malice aforethought and saved the HDD and OS install the Mini came with, but not everyone does this. "It just works" lmao.

I loaded Mein B?t Kampf, pointed it to Win10. 10 minutes later, Win10 was on the Mini, and much, much, much more responsive than OSX Yosemite. My mini is the 2014 model that came with Yosemite from new, so the sluggishness is not a result of an in-place OS upgrade. Anyway...leave it to Microsoft to deliver a more pleasant OS install experience on Apple's hardware than Apple does.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Weird my air is doing well on yosemite though it is slower to boot now =/. Dafuq apple? Still bugs out and programs get hitched from time to time. Mavericks was pretty damn solid stability wise though.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Apple software seems to be taking a dive in the QC department over the last couple of years. I'm finding IOS 8 to be laggy at times even on my IPhone 6+, and web pages constantly crash in Safari. Don't even get me started on the abortion that is ITunes on a PC.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Since Apple only ever sells one model of hardware lines at any given time, they dont really give a fuck about backwards compatability. This leads to their updates requiring more and more memory/GPU and the older hardware gets fucked over.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Apple software seems to be taking a dive in the QC department over the last couple of years. I'm finding IOS 8 to be laggy at times even on my IPhone 6+, and web pages constantly crash in Safari. Don't even get me started on the abortion that is ITunes on a PC.
It's pretty bad. I'm doing UE4 game development work on my Mini and my Windows box, so both of them get beat harder than a redheaded stepchild. OSX simply can't take the abuse that my Windows box gets. After about 4 hours of getting hammered, the OSX box starts shitting out really fucking random errors. Smart folders vanish, Automator tasks refuse to run and the lag compounds itself to the point that a reboot is necessary. Photoshop becomes unusable. Et Cetera. NEVER MIND THE RANDOM SHIT that forces me to reset the PRAM (LMAO this is an actual thing). And this. Is. On. A Daily. Basis. Nevermind the fact that I have to use this shit to make money.

My daily task to keep Windows 7 stable is...nothing. It gets the shit beat out of it, and it doesn't miss a beat.

In terms of hardware, the Mac Mini is a marvelous little box. It's cheaper than an Intel NUC by about $100 for the same hardware; the OS being the primary cause of the higher price. It's a high quality bit; excellent Wifi, SATA, Ethernet performance AND its dead fucking quiet. Intel NUCs are laughably loud under load. This thing? Not a fucking peep EVER. It sips power, too. 30 watts max in a 3D game. And, it's tiny enough that I had to clear no space for it on my desktop.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep. Apple hardware? Second to none. Apple software these days? Bend over.

Resetting the PRAM? Seriously?

Siliconemelons

To be fair 7 and 8 RC's and Betas where quite good on crappy hardware, it was once all the sec patches and SP's started to pile up (as always) that crap started to get bad.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
My one beef with Windows 10 so far: Apparently, you need to have UAC on for the Start menu to work??

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
My one beef with Windows 10 so far: Apparently, you need to have UAC on for the Start menu to work??
In what sense doesn't the start menu work?

I've done a few installs, disabled uac (because its fucking dumb) and no issues with the start menu that I recall. Nothing obvious to me anyhow.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it ok to install Windows 10 over Win 8.1? Or is it recommended like most windows installs to start fresh? Wouldn't mind trying it out, but I don't feel like doing a fresh install.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
In what sense doesn't the start menu work?

I've done a few installs, disabled uac (because its fucking dumb) and no issues with the start menu that I recall. Nothing obvious to me anyhow.
I had UAC and Admin Approval mode disabled via GPO on my home domain. The Start menu on build 9926 doesn't work, at all, with Admin Approval mode disabled. Not sure about the UAC mode itself. They are two separate things.

So, I'd enable UAC/AA, restart, everything would work fine, then I'd reboot again and it wouldn't work until I re-enabled UAC/AA, restarted... etc.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
So as someone who hasn't owned a legal copy of windows since ME. I have been thinking about jumping into 8.1 and I've seen the subreddit where people sell windows keys for pretty damn cheap. Anyone have any experience with buying from somewhere selling over there? Im curious to hear if there are any cons to this like a key lapsing or something like that.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
So as someone who hasn't owned a legal copy of windows since ME. I have been thinking about jumping into 8.1 and I've seen the subreddit where people sell windows keys for pretty damn cheap. Anyone have any experience with buying from somewhere selling over there? Im curious to hear if there are any cons to this like a key lapsing or something like that.
I posted this in the Desktop PC thread a few weeks back.

One other thing, /u/Jet_Pilot_Joe on Reddit sells legit Windows 8 keys for super cheap. I bought a Windows 8 Pro key from him for $12 USD via Paypal, the upgrade to 8.1 is free once installed, also bought a Windows 8.1 standard key for $14 for my parents. Took him a couple days to respond to my initial PM, but things went quickly after that. Pretty sure someone vouched for him earlier in this thread too.
Have had no issues at all with either key. I was in the same boat as you, however my last legit OS was DOS 6.22. Figured it was about time, especially since they'll be offering a free upgrade to Windows 10.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
The reason the tier 1 guys have you reset the PRAM and go through what seems like retard steps is because if they dont, their tier 2 ("senior advisors") wont even take a second look at your case.

This includes pram/smc reset, safe mode, new user, reinstallation of osx (both with and withour erasing the hard drive).

Some of them are genuine assholes who dont know how to turn on a computer, the rest are just covering their asses since nothing burns them more then having to talk to tier 2 twice (they get graded on this) because they didnt make you jump through hoops.

Definitely agree QC has taken a nose dive as of late, hoping ios 9 breaks this pattern, and the same goes for the next version of OS X. The sentiment is definitely shared internally.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Finally had it with Windows 10. I think it's just an issue with the setup I have (mostly the 3x surround video), but for whatever reason, my system games like shit with it loaded. Going back to Windows 8.1 for now.

Truth be told, though, I wasn't having any other problems with it, and it only died on me when I was playing FFXIV.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's funny when people outside gaming are first introduced to the concept of microtransactions. Let the games begin!

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Wasn't that a misunderstanding? I'm pretty sure they'll allow non-genuine copies of Windows 7/8 to upgrade to Windows 10, but they'll still not be genuine.