Windows 8

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
No, I just think the idea of having a single sign-in for your PC AND all of your accounts for EVERYTHING is fucking retarded.
I find it unnerving that my Domain account has my icon from my fucking windows messenger from 2008. Warn me before importing my bullshit from years ago please.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
How is Windows 10 performance compared to Win 8.1? Similar? Faster? More/less of a resource hog? I was really happy with the performance gains of 8 over 7, I'd love to see a similar improvement again when going to 10, but I think that's almost too much to ask for.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The system itself performs fairly nicely, i havent noticed much difference with games yet. One thing i dislike is how the start menu operates - It seems its better but those dam tiles are still there if i want to pin things to start.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How is Windows 10 performance compared to Win 8.1? Similar? Faster? More/less of a resource hog? I was really happy with the performance gains of 8 over 7, I'd love to see a similar improvement again when going to 10, but I think that's almost too much to ask for.
The benchmarks from the earlier build showed a 6% drop in Watch Dogs fps... but that's fucking watchdogs, one of the worst coded AAA games this year. Most of the rest of the games were within 2% of Windows 8.1. And this was the earlier build. So no one really knows.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I was having issues with it as a daily driver so I formatted and took the time to install Ubuntu for a couple weeks and then revisit Windows 10 with a fresh install instead of an upgrade from Windows 10.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just loaded a build on my "backup" work computer. I like it, it doesn't seem to have any issues running any program I own. I have not loaded up a video game to see how it "feels". but its got a shitty onboard card. Day to day business work it is freaking fantastic.

Silence_sl

shitlord
It feels about the same as a new, fully cooked install of 8.1. so it feels pretty freaking fast.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, except for the very retarded Mini tiles on the Start menu.

Looks like Nadella has his foot firmly planted up some asses at Redmond.

They are definitely on the right track these days.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone figure out how to make the Start Menu transparent like in the preview videos?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Only requires 1GB for 32bit and 2GB for 64bit, and it's made to run on the Xbox and phones... so it can't be very much.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Is this shit really going to be a free upgrade? I find that hard to believe coming from Micro$oft.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Retail MSDN keys wont upgrade, I assume. MSDN access went belly up, sadly.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder if they will keep the free upgrade thing and only charge for it on a new PC. That would obviously be hard to enforce for those of us that install our own OS but part of microsoft's problem, at least on the consumer side, is that no one upgrades windows. People buy a computer and use it until it stops working well. That used to be 2-3 years but now that it's 6 or 8 years sometimes they wind up having to support shitloads of grandpas that are still on XP and calling in because their computer doesn't work. I think that free upgrades for home users while charging PC manufacturers for new installs and charging enterprise clients for everything might solve a lot of their legacy issues while not impacting the bottom line that much since home users rarely upgrade.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I used Mein B?t Kampf to load W10 preview on my Mac Mini, and it feels about 10x more responsive than OSX...which always feels like a pig stuck in mud.