Windows 8

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Most of my problems now revolve around Steam and some games simply not launching. Planetside 2 continually crashes on start up with only a "This program has stopped responding...." error, so no indication of what might be causing it. Batman: Arkham City launches and just never does anything. Can't find a background process running or anything. And there was one other one I can't think of off the top of my head that has the same behavior. Assassin's Creed 3? Hmm... trying to remember what I picked up at Christmas during the sales.

These were all working games under Windows 7 that have stopped working since the upgrade. And without getting any specific error (or in the case of B:AC nothing at all) I haven't had any luck tracking it down. While it may not be aWindows 8 Bugit occurred after the upgrade so my perception is as such. Otherwise everything works fine.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I used W8 for a few months and went back to W7 due to the litany of bugs in W8 that aren't present in W7.

W8 is tied with WinME for the biggest joke of an OS, ever.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Most of my problems now revolve around Steam and some games simply not launching. Planetside 2 continually crashes on start up with only a "This program has stopped responding...." error, so no indication of what might be causing it. Batman: Arkham City launches and just never does anything. Can't find a background process running or anything. And there was one other one I can't think of off the top of my head that has the same behavior. Assassin's Creed 3? Hmm... trying to remember what I picked up at Christmas during the sales.

These were all working games under Windows 7 that have stopped working since the upgrade. And without getting any specific error (or in the case of B:AC nothing at all) I haven't had any luck tracking it down. While it may not be aWindows 8 Bugit occurred after the upgrade so my perception is as such. Otherwise everything works fine.
never had PS2 crash.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Same, PS2 doesn't crash for me. Might be a driver or DirectX thing, that's fairly common.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
never had PS2 crash.
Yeah, my problems with PS2 were confined to having to unplug my 360 controller when starting it, a problem they (Sony) eventually fixed.

Steam is kind of a joke with Windows 8, kinda funny that 3rd party tools have popped up to make it more friendly to metro because of their tantrums over it -http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...7-9c9d6d4aae85

They are such a popular platform, there's little reason they couldn't be taking advantage of the growing touchscreen PC market with touch-sensitive client and games compatible for Windows 8. Instead they're going to pour a bunch of money into some Linux-based hardware that will sell miserably.

Anyone comparing this to Windows ME has fallen victim to some catastrophic user error though IMO. I've come across 1 bug off the top of my head, and that's the Store not going back to home on occasion (back button doing nothing). Really can't think of anything else, worst part about it was having to torrent some Blu-Ray playing software and download a wifi driver on my cell phone to ferry over to the OS. Otherwise it's better than Windows 7 in every way in my experience.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm not sure what people's fucking problem with Steam on Windows 8 is. You can make steam a metro tile, you can make steam games metro tiles. Games work. What's the problem?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I've never had a problem with Steam in Win8, so, yeah, not sure what's up with that. Might be an order of installation that I just happened to do, or absence of .NET x.y.z that I just happen to have, or whatever.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've never had a problem with Steam in Win8, so, yeah, not sure what's up with that. Might be an order of installation that I just happened to do, or absence of .NET x.y.z that I just happen to have, or whatever.
No idea but it is the only thing since the transition that has consistently given me issues. No issues with making Steam tile or tiles for Steam titles, that was pretty easy. It is just the launching of the games that is an issue. PS2 crashes before it even starts and the other titles just refuse to do anything. After work I'll look in to the .NET suggestion and see. Maybe something during the upgrade got left out or not updated correctly.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Our department (IT) could volunteer and use win8 on our desktop or laptops if we so desired otherwise we're all Win7 x64. Some made the journey and I stuck around due to the one main system I admin (VMware) can not display consoles through vSphere 5.0. Just a black screen and an error message. Works wonders in 7, but for some stupid reason it bugs out. I've spun up a Windows Server 2012 file server for shits and giggles and I find it comical the default install is set to Server Core instead of the GUI. Microsoft is really pushing for Powershell gurus these days.

My home PC is still rocking XP. I don't game from it and buying another couple hundred dollar internet box is a waste of $$.

Azmadeus

Trakanon Raider
The wife went from XP Pro to Win 8 and she can't stand it. Thats even after putting Classic Shell on it to get it as close to looking like XP as possible.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Count me as a fan of Windows 8, especially for people who are computer illiterate. Bought a new Samsung laptop for my parents(who can't do much more than email and web browse) and they LOVE windows 8. Was very intuitive for them, and the windows key on the keyboard basically working like the home button on a phone and taking you back to your main screen is a lifesaver.

I'm talking about people that don't know the difference between minimizing a window and closing a window, that's how computer inept they are, but Win 8 is a godsend. I think it's going to cut down on the amount of inane tech-support calls that I get from them(which usually just consist of having to ctrl-alt-del killing some program that has hung up)

Basically, I think it's the closest thing you can get to a dumbed-down Mac experience without actually having to buy an Apple product.

Never in a million years would my parents know how to actually google search for a program, download it, find the folder where they saved it, and install a program. The Windows app store automates the whole process just like a phone/tablet. Within an hour they were browsing through the store and installing little games and apps and stuff. I don't think they ever installed 1 program on their previous laptop in the 5 years they had it.

so tl;dr, if you have to provide tech support to technology-inept family members, get them onto Windows 8 ASAP

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I don't know what the fuss is. I upgraded to Windows 8 and as soon as you learn that the Windows key hides the Metro interface, you're basically using a faster, more stable version of Windows 7 with a few added subtle tweaks/perks. I love that "restart" now isn't a complete reboot, but just an OS reboot making a restart totally painless. Love the doubled taskbar for multi-monitor setups. Storage spaces is also pretty cool. The system recovery options in case of a problem are way better, particularly the refresh option that re-installs the OS while keeping all documents/pictures intact.

Am I going to bother upgrading all the PC's in my work environment from Win7 to Win 8? Probably not. Is it a compelling enough home upgrade and an improvement over Win 7? Yes.