World of Warcraft: Classic

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Guess this sort of thing just isn't for me, but I can't imagine even wanting to play on these servers. Leveling your weapon skill individually, thirty two years to cap a toon, whole "specs" relegated to non use. For the time the game was groundbreaking but it sounds like absolute shit to go back too. No xrealm/lfg sounds really nice though. I would however play a wrath legacy server in an instant best mix of current and classic WoW imo.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I remember getting all my weapon skills to max at some point, before they took that out. I have the Feats of Strength to prove it. There's no room for that shit in today's gaming world and I have no interest in doing it again, personally, but at least Blizzard is (finally, hopefully not half-heartedly) listening to the section of their player community who wants this to happen.

Last edited:

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I'll play it long enough to level up and do original AV for a while if they're able to have it working. Haven't played since early Cata. Vanilla was probably the closest to ideal in an mmo for me. The raiding doesn't factor in as I hate that shit. Legion was tempting with 5 mans actually being end game relevant but I can't stand the rest of the game.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Case in point: I'm really stoked about this, even though I'd rather rub my ballsack on a cheese grater than go back to raiding BWL/AQ/Naxx the way I did back in 05/06. But there's still a whole ton of cool shit I'd love to try out. I never levelled an alliance character above 20 or so until Wrath, because everyone I knew was always on Horde, so a chance to play through that content as it was meant to be played would be worth the price of entry alone.

I'm glad I played through both sides in vanilla. The Alliance storyline around Onyxia is to date, still one of the coolest things.

What's going to happen with mods, are people who made like decursive going to come back and update it to work with the new-old code?

These mods still exist and have been improved since, you know, they're using them on emulators.

I mained a druid from vanillla til mid MOP or so
time to break out the classics

Vanilla druid was just so stupid powerful. Stack a priest and you're virtually unstoppable. Only thing that had a chance was a decked out, sneaky one-shot mage/rogue.

I remember getting all my weapon skills to max at some point, before they took that out. I have the Feats of Strength to prove it. There's no room for that shit in today's gaming world and I have no interest in doing it again, personally, but at least Blizzard is (finally, hopefully not half-heartedly) listening to the section of their player community who wants this to happen.

I did this in Wrath when I was bored out of my mind. Found low level grey weapons and just ground it out on the mobs just under where Dalaran was floating. A single, long ticking rejuv was enough to basically afk for a bit. Even then, I think it still took quite a while to go from 350-400 or whatever.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think they'll start off with Vanilla only, then if it successful, try a BC server. But I agree, the ultimate goal should be a type of "Diablo 3 Season" structure, where you start with Vanilla, then progress through each expansion (say 3-6 months per expansion), ultimately having the server become a "regular" one once it hits the current expansion. Then a new "season" would start. Even at 3 months per expansion we're still talking ~2 years per season, which is roughly the time between expansions, so roughly one season per expansion.

If they staggered upgrading expansions to coincide with luls in the current expansion patch cycle they could keep a decent number of people playing, even during luls, as they would switch to the "season" characters during regular downtimes.

Win-win or what?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think they'll start off with Vanilla only, then if it successful, try a BC server. But I agree, the ultimate goal should be a type of "Diablo 3 Season" structure, where you start with Vanilla, then progress through each expansion (say 3-6 months per expansion), ultimately having the server become a "regular" one once it hits the current expansion. Then a new "season" would start. Even at 3 months per expansion we're still talking ~2 years per season, which is roughly the time between expansions, so roughly one season per expansion.

If they staggered upgrading expansions to coincide with luls in the current expansion patch cycle they could keep a decent number of people playing, even during luls, as they would switch to the "season" characters during regular downtimes.

Win-win or what?
Some of the content is going to be so easy but some is going to be hard as balls. Like black temple and icc. Not sure 3 months is enough

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
There should be a permanent Vanilla server. Maybe add a BC server eventually, and allow users to copy over/transfer their Vanilla toon. Rinse repeat with each expansion. Maybe even charge for the copying/transferring characters. Some cash potential. Though I honestly don't see this going beyond Wrath... no one ever emulated anything beyond BC, though. So there's that to consider. Of course, we still have all of the content from Wrath. Not everything from Vanilla or BC are still accessible.

Needless

Toe Sucker
When was benediction/anathema & rhok'delar removed? if those aren't available on this classic server, that'll be pretty whack.

Surely they're going to tie these servers into some kinda feat of strength transmog shit right? give people motive to play on this server to unlock old transmog you can no longer get on an account wide basis?

Roll priest
get Anathema
Unlock ability to transmog it on normal servers too, or something along those lines.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
When was benediction/anathema & rhok'delar removed? if those aren't available on this classic server, that'll be pretty whack.

Surely they're going to tie these servers into some kinda feat of strength transmog shit right? give people motive to play on this server to unlock old transmog you can no longer get on an account wide basis?

Roll priest
get Anathema
Unlock ability to transmog it on normal servers too, or something along those lines.

Pretty sure the related quest drops were removed on day one of BC.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is the intent of announcing it then walking away. Lots of fan sites will provide the input they need to make what they are going to make. Then after launch how it's received and played will determine how far they go with it.

I could see them making a vanilla server then opening up TBC and beyond if the user base demands it. Problem being is you have lots of people transfer forward leaving the previous server a ghost town.

I just don't see people staying on a seasonal treadmill ala D3 because it takes alot of people coming together to advance raids.

Really rough to tell just what the fuck will happen with this social experiment.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just make a WoW 2 already. Far more people will pay again for rehashed shit rather than recycled old shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys act like wow is struggling. Real question. Do you guys smoke crack cocaine or mainline meth?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Progressing classic servers would be a great way for them to combat lulls in content of the main version. Not everybody will play it, but you could jump back in for the TBC/WotLK prelaunch event etc.

GonzytheMage

You guys act like wow is struggling. Real question. Do you guys smoke crack cocaine or mainline meth?

Nobody said WoW was struggling. Some people prefer different eras of the game.

I like 80s music but I listened to music into the 90s and beyond. Does that mean hairbands are the best? Maybe for me but some people really like Eminem. So places like Pandora give you opportunities to listen to what you want to when you want. I don't see this an anything different. They believe they can put something out there based off a demand for it and make some profit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nobody said WoW was struggling. Some people prefer different eras of the game.

I like 80s music but I listened to music into the 90s and beyond. Does that mean hairbands are the best? Maybe for me but some people really like Eminem. So places like Pandora give you opportunities to listen to what you want to when you want. I don't see this an anything different. They believe they can put something out there based off a demand for it and make some profit.

Not you specifically but stuff like 'why don't they make a wow 2' - why would they? The game is still king

xzi

Mouthbreather
Vanilla druid was just so stupid powerful. Stack a priest and you're virtually unstoppable. Only thing that had a chance was a decked out, sneaky one-shot mage/rogue.

I was the best flag runner on our server, thems were the days son. Until our warriors started getting tier 3.. then I wasn't the strongest anymore, but at least the fastest!

GonzytheMage

Not you specifically but stuff like 'why don't they make a wow 2' - why would they? The game is still king

It's the king and the only thing that could dethrone it is itself. With that said I don't think even Blizzard themselves could make WoW 2 and have it be more profitable than WoW. MMOs have come and gone as a genre which suck alot for fans like us.

I could only hope this classic endeavour could prove their is room for more than one MMO at Blizzard HQ and they would look at making a Starcraft or Diablo MMO.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Diablo 4 is pretty much guaranteed to be an MMO at this point, from their hiring posts.

Probably comes out after the "final" WoW expansion, whenever we beat the void lords or whatever. So that players can transition from WoW to World of Diablo4craft.