World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chris

Potato del Grande
Blizzard is generally quite good at encounter design
I don't think this is true at all.

It's totally schizophrenic, some expansions are more complex, some encounters are basic, some are a gimmick and some you can't see shit.

Grim Batol, and Mists of Tirna Scithe are pretty good. Siege of Boralus and Necrotic Wake are "meh" but entertaining enough.
Not played them all yet but Grim Batol felt much higher quality than the War Within dungeons. From the concept of a corrupted Ironforge, the Warcraft 2 lore of Alextraza's rape dungeon and the bosses having mechanics to play around that were not gimmicks.

I wish they did a reskin on them, maybe keep the layout and mechanics, but have the mobs be from current lore.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So far I've solo'd T8 dread pit and spiral weave on fury war at 580 and 581 ilvl, Brann at 16 and 17. The bosses are the easiest part, some of those 3-4 packs really hurt. I guess I'd say the difficulty is fine though, considering the recommended ilvl and the level of reward from both drops and the great vault. I ended up spending most of the time in defensive stance and waiting for cd's to come back for most pulls, sometimes kiting a pack way back to spread them and let Brann apply damage.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
8 delves and some open world area completions later my lock is 77 with AK delves left to go. Those should put me decently into 78, then I can resume MSQ in Ringing Deeps to get to 80. Then evoker's turn on the merry go round.

Once I have full 25% bonus xp I doubt I will have to do any MSQ past first zone. I have plenty of alts at 70 from remix to test this all out with too. Sadly, you can't get HF rep vendor without doing that MSQ, so there is that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Daidraco Daidraco So when are you actually on so I can hit you up for t7 and zekvir?
I had battle.net invisible so I didnt have to group/communicate with someone in D4 last season. My bad. Turned that on, but sending messages to offline accounts still goes through for future reference. WoW is generally on most of the time when Im at the office or home. I might just not be looking at that screen at that moment, however.

Which reminds me. There is a good chunk of people in the guild now if you were waiting to see if the guild lasted / had legs. Though, its still on you to ask in guild "Anyone up for a Mythic?" or similar.
So far I've solo'd T8 dread pit and spiral weave on fury war at 580 and 581 ilvl, Brann at 16 and 17. The bosses are the easiest part, some of those 3-4 packs really hurt. I guess I'd say the difficulty is fine though, considering the recommended ilvl and the level of reward from both drops and the great vault. I ended up spending most of the time in defensive stance and waiting for cd's to come back for most pulls, sometimes kiting a pack way back to spread them and let Brann apply damage.
Im honestly surprised that Juvarisx Juvarisx can solo shit like he does as a DPS Warrior. There needs to be way more self healing in the delves for certain classes, imo.

Which really, they may have not wanted it to turn into Torghast, but those "special" powers, are far too rare and some are absolutely shit tier. Like who the fuck designed the power "100% more health until you fall below 60% health" ... Motherfucker, just give people a flat health bonus and call it a day, ffs.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Ok, lock finished all the delves. I think you can just do the quests for all of them from items at the entrance. Something to test on evoker I suppose. Ended up halfway through 78. Will get him finished up tonight with msq. Honestly, doing delves geared me up hella nicely. Even got a nice belt for when I hit 80 from weekly AK quest bag. Need a better way to farm resonance crystals so I can afford my rep gear at 80 on future alts.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I did a T8 delve solo after doing a bunch of others in a group and good god... that was a nightmare. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with the scaling on this shit.

Juvarisx

Florida
I did a T8 delve solo after doing a bunch of others in a group and good god... that was a nightmare. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with the scaling on this shit.

They dont know either. Thankfully after this week they kinda become irrelevant for vault, but I do hope they fix Brann so he is actually useful or fix scaling.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had battle.net invisible so I didnt have to group/communicate with someone in D4 last season. My bad. Turned that on, but sending messages to offline accounts still goes through for future reference. WoW is generally on most of the time when Im at the office or home. I might just not be looking at that screen at that moment, however.

Which reminds me. There is a good chunk of people in the guild now if you were waiting to see if the guild lasted / had legs. Though, its still on you to ask in guild "Anyone up for a Mythic?" or similar.

Im honestly surprised that Juvarisx Juvarisx can solo shit like he does as a DPS Warrior. There needs to be way more self healing in the delves for certain classes, imo.

Which really, they may have not wanted it to turn into Torghast, but those "special" powers, are far too rare and some are absolutely shit tier. Like who the fuck designed the power "100% more health until you fall below 60% health" ... Motherfucker, just give people a flat health bonus and call it a day, ffs.

Also "heal 22k on double jump" is garbage. What the fuck is 22k? Not worth double jumping over defensive and plain running. I'd guess an idiot that plays DH must have made it. Mechanically it'll only maybe help DH without hurting their play. While for everyone else it'd need to be healing 100k to start making it worth activating the power. If you are double jumping you are sacrificing intelligent movement and a button press for damage/defensive to do it. For 22 fucking thousand healing. Whoo.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also "heal 22k on double jump" is garbage. What the fuck is 22k? Not worth double jumping over defensive and plain running. I'd guess an idiot that plays DH must have made it.

Honestly most of delves seems pointless drivel aside from Brann who does like insane dps/tanking. Why have little treasures that give... 150 xp for him? A level is like 400k xp, and they don't even give exp on the basic delves to grind out. Why have a mode where mobs chain cast 1.5M damage spells that's supposed to work for classes without an interrupt (not that it really helps that much)? Why have mobs scale damage to make tanks take the same amount % wise... but then do their same reduced shitty damage back?

None of it really makes sense. I am betting the entire experience was roughed out before the balance team eradicated self-sustain on all the classes (but esp tanks), and then they didn't spend any time testing/balancing delves.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Was able to get T8 Under-Lord boss down solo on arcane with 15ish attempts. It was painful enough that I didn't even bother resetting the dungeon for the attempts to count toward a bountiful chest. I gained no reward for my effort. I figured the downgraded reward would be like a lower ilevel version like failing a mythic timer is. Nope.

0 reward for finishing a T8 outside the allowed deaths. No bountiful chest at all.

Pretty fucked up and poor design. "But DUDE you can reset the entire delv and fight back to the boss for 5 more attempts!!!!!". Yeah, miss me with that shit. If someone is grinding a boss, they shouldn't have to reset the entire delv just to do more boss attempts.

Whoever came up with there being 0 reward should be beaten with a stick.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Was able to get T8 Under-Lord boss down solo on arcane with 15ish attempts. It was painful enough that I didn't even bother resetting the dungeon for the attempts to count toward a bountiful chest. I gained no reward for my effort. I figured the downgraded reward would be like a lower ilevel version like failing a mythic timer is. Nope.

0 reward for finishing a T8 outside the allowed deaths. No bountiful chest at all.

Pretty fucked up and poor design. "But DUDE you can reset the entire delv and fight back to the boss for 5 more attempts!!!!!". Yeah, miss me with that shit. If someone is grinding a boss, they shouldn't have to reset the entire delv just to do more boss attempts.

So on my DK Brann tanks everything. On most of my friends characters and my alts he doesn't really hold agro. No idea what the difference is because same setup.

Burns

Is that one of the new mini-bosses I read about on WoWhead? If so, they recommend skipping them through various methods, even if they are on objectives.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So on my DK Brann tanks everything. On most of my friends characters and my alts he doesn't really hold agro. No idea what the difference is because same setup.

Surprising the amount of facetanking. If I don't run the Brann Skill "Brann hard taunts for 4 seconds if at 40% hp" skill on Brann (which I don't run because DPS is king, I take the 20% crit booster normally), then he never takes aggro. I rely a lot not only on Brann's DPS, but also his execute move. Where the elite may have 20% life left and it randomly gets executed. This happens a several times a run and isn't a rare occurrence. Was a bit surprised at the number of executes. That part does make me wonder if class-specific tuning and testing has been done because the executes seem to always happen when I really need them, after I have put in my effort and my damage and defensives are exhausted.

1726343096436.png

There is some disparity in experience as you noted. A quick scroll through found a lot of people who's Brann does absolutely nothing.

1726343223683.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Surprising the amount of facetanking. If I don't run the Brann Skill "Brann hard taunts for 4 seconds if at 40% hp" skill on Brann (which I don't run because DPS is king, I take the 20% crit booster normally), then he never takes aggro. I rely a lot not only on Brann's DPS, but also his execute move. Where the elite may have 20% life left and it randomly gets executed. This happens a several times a run and isn't a rare occurrence. Was a bit surprised at the number of executes. That part does make me wonder if class-specific tuning and testing has been done because the executes seem to always happen when I really need them, after I have put in my effort and my damage and defensives are exhausted.

View attachment 545982

I run the porcelain arrow (50% bonus crit chance) and amorphous blob (one of two diff buffs entering combat).

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just run Delves in a group of 5, seems pretty easy.

I starting getting some good Mythic groups so cleared most of them now and iLevel is creeping up to 600, feel fairly powerful.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I like how Delves have gone from 'solo friendly challenge for gamers who played WoW 20 years ago' to 'best done in group just like a Mythic dungeon' to 'lol 1/1/1 fuk you dps'

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Delves are just another in the long line of world content half-starts they have done every expansion since MoP. The problem is always that they want everything to be tightly tuned and competitive instead of fun. They also design with a goal of creating repetitive content, which ironically becomes a negative drag on the content because rather than having a vision of designed gameplay, they simply churn out permutations of different ingredients to meet arbitrary requirements. This is the same mechanical template system that gives us the mostly boring dungeons of modern WoW. Hall with trash x4, boss x4, organize in whichever order you want.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Aside from the underwater ones, I like the delves. I’ve gotten a ton of gear, main and off hand and several other pieces I’m wearing. Only thing I find weird is how they’re going to become irrelevant.