World of Warcraft: Current Year

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I didn't play WOTLK or Cata or MoP at launch, but TBC was just as bad at launch; for about 2 days. Once people got out of Hellfire things smoothed out tremendously.

Now granted that was a long time ago and they should have learned...
Dood, they did learn. They learned that it doesn't fucking matter how bad launch is, people will just get over it and continue on. Sure -- they could have engineered an expansion with 12 different level 90-92 zones to mitigate launch day woes... but after a few weeks any game design to mitigate launch day woes would look stupid.

I guarantee you that internal assessments said A) there will be forseen and unforseen launch day issues and a lot of people will be really cranky... and B) it doesn't matter one bit; our players are always cranky about something and they definitely won't quit over it.

Every single one of you guys are assuming this caught Bliz off guard and that's patently ridiculous. Bliz knows WoW players will take this abuse and keep buying their shit, because on the grand scheme of things, there isn't anything else out there and their shitty competitors sure as fuck aren't deploying bug/lag free international expansions either.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll maintain that it wasn't and never will be financially feasible for WoW to increase server size for a week of the launch. We can pretend they didn't know, we can pretend the success was too much for them, but the bottom line is people bought the game and the money is in their hands. If they refund us for a couple days I am willing to bet their bottom line is not affected too much.
That has nothing to do with what I said.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I probably need to read a garrison guide. I was winging it last night and didn't know what I was doing. My mage is enchanter/tailor and I built an echanting building and a tailor building for my first two shops, and then some kind of inn that gives dungeon quests for my third. How bad did I fubar this?

Needless

Toe Sucker
Having your own professions is fine imo, you should definitely get a salvage yard once you get level 3 though (small plot)
Lumbermill and Barn is also recommended by most

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
The only big thing with garrisons is you want to use 1 small plot on the salvage yard, and start unlocking the rank 3 upgrade asap. Rank 3 salvage yard allows your follower adventures to sometimes reward you with gear, which has a small chance to be up to raid quality. Other upgrades are mostly just a way to save yourself some gold, but most of the other building perks give faster access to things you can buy on the AH anyway.

Carl_sl

shitlord
lumber mill gives more garison resouces so you can do more, war mill upgrades your quest rewards, those are the two id look in to if I was trying to min max, and Id have my eye on the salvage yard once i hit 100. If you aren't looking o min max everything id just roll with what you've got though.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Lumbermill takes a while to pay itself off and requires open world work, Barn is widely considered the better of the three (lm/trade post/barn) in terms of profitability/effort.

I'm personally going to focus on the trade post. I think it's pretty valuable to have an auction vendor in my garrison idk.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Having your own professions is fine imo, you should definitely get a salvage yard once you get level 3 though (small plot)
Lumbermill and Barn is also recommended by most
Did they really screw up cloth in this game? As a tailor it looks like I actually have to create cloth out of other stuff, unless "real" cloth starts dropping further in. Seems like it would make it really hard on first aid bandages too.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
The trade post lets you power level your progression early on (trade crafting materials (aka, gold) for resources), then later down the road when you're garrison is all maxed out, it lets you convert your now excess resources into trade mats. It's a good choice for most players.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lumbermill takes a while to pay itself off and requires open world work, Barn is widely considered the better of the three (lm/trade post/barn) in terms of profitability/effort.

I'm personally going to focus on the trade post. I think it's pretty valuable to have an auction vendor in my garrison idk.
I was originally a bit worried the trapping would be bad but I trapped like 20 things yesterday without any problems so I have a nice stock pile for barn work orders. If you are a tailor or leatherworker I strongly recommend the barn to supplement your resources as well.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Did they really screw up cloth in this game? As a tailor it looks like I actually have to create cloth out of other stuff, unless "real" cloth starts dropping further in. Seems like it would make it really hard on first aid bandages too.
No that is one of the major changes with this expansion. After 10 years of sentient beings on every world and adjacent dimension carrying pocket-squares that can be stitched together to make bolts of cloth we now have to go kill fuzzy-wuzzies and 'spin' fur into cloth, mostly done by the Garrison peeps although you do get one cooldown a day of Hexcloth manufacture provided you also have Gorgond Flytrap herbs.

Near as I can figure since its made out of fur and glue everyone in Draenor is decked out in felt.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

One reason to also focus on a trade post for your main is once you get it to I think rank 2 you get a quest giver that you can gain rep with. It unlocks a lot of good stuff including a 20% account wide boost to reputation gain speed. That is one of the best bang for the buck upgrades especially if you have multiple alts you intend to play.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I was originally a bit worried the trapping would be bad but I trapped like 20 things yesterday without any problems so I have a nice stock pile for barn work orders. If you are a tailor or leatherworker I strongly recommend the barn to supplement your resources as well.
If you're any type of production prof the bloods you get later on are used for your "Gear Upgrade" consumable combines. I think inscription does upgrades for weapons so I'm probably going to put a barn up at some point for the bloods.

My knowledge on this subject is a bit vague but PhatLewts on the wow econ reddit (who puts in a ton of work) was going crazy about getting a barn for the blood. I trust that guy.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Keep in mind that blood is not guaranteed from rank 3 barn work orders. You'll want a barn on every character you have if you care about upgrading crafted gear while it's still relevant (or gouging the market while it's still possible).

The best recommendation I saw was to have your crafter that actually has the prof only make upgrade tokens, and use a prof building on an alt to make the gear.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Gahh, day off and its basically the fucking arctic outside (by my standards, fuck anything below 50 degrees) and extended maintenance. Figures.