World of Warcraft: Current Year

Carl_sl

shitlord
Obviously won't be able to speak on time gates until they do but, It sounds like running dungeons will give you artifact power, and you probably get more artifact power for running higher level dungeons so it might not be that bad.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
"This is the weapon you will use throughout the expansion. You will not get weapon drops in Legion."
is interesting to me. I'm assuming if this is the case and they want to emphasize on Artifacts, they have to take into account multiple specs. I hope it's not the case that I'm going to spend a bunch of time upgrading whatever holy weapon I get for heals as a pally and deciding I want to ret and having to do it all over with Ashbringer again.

Also kinda excited for this:
"It will be very important to see how the story plays out regarding Artifacts that come from characters like Tirion. No spoilers!"
"Classes will evolve in a number of ways in Legion. The development team is looking closely at the core fantasy for each class."

It really seems like this is the way they're going to bring classes back to feeling like they're the class you picked and not just dps3. I'm sure they'll still be homogenized as fuck, but it's exciting to have a class identity back other than "you cast some holy shit"
The multiple spec aspect is one that I am curious about. Will you need to be working on multiple artifact weapons if you have multiple specs? Will leveling one allow you to level both or only the active one? It may be their way to make your class/spec more meaningful and make people less likely to flip between them but that could have serious impacts on the already low number of tanks.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, they're not clear on the obtaining them part, which is fine I mean we're not even in a beta stage yet I'm not surprised there isn't much more information. But in the current state of the game, literally everything is timegated. Even LFR.

Maybe they'll do some goofy shit like when you switch specs your weapon automatically switches with it. With the complete removal of weapons in Legion I feel like they would only make you focus on one item?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From what they said, you obtain the artifact almost at the start of the xpack, so it would make sense they don't penalize you for leveling dps and switching to tank or healing.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I would think you need to level up the different weapons separately. So if you want to be really good at two different specs then you need to double up on the work.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would think you need to level up the different weapons separately. So if you want to be really good at two different specs then you need to double up on the work.
Lets hope they don't do that. That would be ridiculous and unfortunate considering how many classes have to switch specs mid-raid.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Honestly though I wouldn't mind shit like suddenly Ashbringer being a healing weapon when I switch holy. That's just me though.

They did mention there will be a pre-event before the game launches, I wonder if they'll do something more than "kill 50 orcs" like WoD did. They mentioned the broken shore. Maybe we won't go an entire year until any content at all? I'm holding on hopes it's not a quick 2 quest thing like we dealt with at the end of MoP.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Honestly though I wouldn't mind shit like suddenly Ashbringer being a healing weapon when I switch holy. That's just me though.

They did mention there will be a pre-event before the game launches, I wonder if they'll do something more than "kill 50 orcs" like WoD did. They mentioned the broken shore. Maybe we won't go an entire year until any content at all? I'm holding on hopes it's not a quick 2 quest thing like we dealt with at the end of MoP.
They said "Like the WoD intro dark portal event, but better". So there you go
tongue.png

Concerning the artifact leveling and switching specs, I'd like it if they made artifact power like a currency you can spend on your artifact weapon's traits to unlock new stuff, and when you change spec and artifact, your currency is refunded and you can respend it on other traits for that new weapon. Like talent points worked for different specs before.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are they adding these artifact weapons to lessen people getting dicked over by weapon drops or also getting dicked under by lucky weapon drops and the associated DPS power spike?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are they adding these artifact weapons to lessen people getting dicked over by weapon drops or also getting dicked under by lucky weapon drops and the associated DPS power spike?
That and gimmick of the expansion. They can't not introduce something truly unique or people just look at it as a content update and feel it's not worth paying for. I wish that wasn't how it had to be.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Probably has something to do with it considering they're the only weapons in the game. I also view it as a lore centered idea to try to push class identity.

Carl_sl

shitlord
unfortunately you can probably still get dicked over on the power level of your weapon, don't remember where I saw it but they mentioned something about a drop that powers up your weapon that comes from bosses or something?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
The multiple spec aspect is one that I am curious about. Will you need to be working on multiple artifact weapons if you have multiple specs? Will leveling one allow you to level both or only the active one? It may be their way to make your class/spec more meaningful and make people less likely to flip between them but that could have serious impacts on the already low number of tanks.
Judging by what was said on stage, there are 36 different artifact weapons (one for each spec), which leads me to believe you're going to have completely different weapons that you'll have to level up. Who the hell knows though, it's all clear as mud right? Unless I'm mistaken, I could have swore they said that obtaining the artifact pieces would be a different experience for each spec.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
unfortunately you can probably still get dicked over on the power level of your weapon, don't remember where I saw it but they mentioned something about a drop that powers up your weapon that comes from bosses or something?
It was vague, just it powers up from killing bosses.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I can imagine that the quest for each specs weapon is different but, I could also see artifact power transferring between weapons though.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Having to level the artifact weapons of your spec separately is a good thing, imo. There need to be things to grind for.
It's counter productive though.

Everyone's power is affected the most by weapon. RNG makes it so not everyone can be amazing because of that. So they put in a change to weapons so everyone gets the same one right off the bat and upgrades it through the expansion. Someone quits at a core position and you move over to it but are gated by your weapon again. It's not fun and they know that so the barrier to getting one of these weapons viable will probably be easy.

Here is how I envision it.

1.) Opening expansion class quest gets you the spec weapon of your choice.
2.) Leveling up to 110 gives you more story into it and it might upgrade the ilvl throughout or just a single upgrade at 110.
3.) Now your weapon is maxed out for it's ilvl at launch tier. You can still grind out more stuff for "skins" on the weapon.
4.) Every time a new raid tier is unlocked there is a quest involved to upgrade it even further until it caps out at the ilvl for that current raid tier.

7.0 happens and you are given an ilvl 800 weapon when you hit 110
7.0.1 unlocks the raid and the first 4 bosses give you an item to unlock ilvl 815 on it
7.1 comes around and new tier where the same thing, early amount of bosses unlock ilvl 830 but this time it also gives you more orbs to level up
7.2 does 845 blah blah more orbs
7.3 this is the ultimate "legendary" end to the quest line and finishes the weapon entirely and gives you something secondary, who knows

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I can imagine that the quest for each specs weapon is different but, I could also see artifact power transferring between weapons though.
That would be really nice and convenient to have artifact power tied to your class instead of the specific weapon.