X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Column_sl

shitlord
He was cool for a brief moment when he was introduced before the Jim Lee X men reboot. He was one of the few characters that could beat the shit out of Wolverine,

As soon as they did the whole romance thing with Rogue it's been downhill ever since.

Caliane

literally everyone can beat the shit out of wolverine. he doesnt have any offensive powers at all. you and a rope could beat the shit out of wolverine.
Knives in your knuckles or back of your hand, is less effective then a knife IN your hand.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but in those days no one was talking shit to wolverine. So seeing Gambit introduced, and instantly downing him was refreshing.

During that Xavier arc everyone liked him, it's only when they Twilighted him the fans turned against him.

rrr_img_66778.jpg

Caliane

Possibly. There are certainly other examples. and its the nature of comics at times.
its a visual media. Its why costumes are so important in the first place, and why everyone obsesses over them. A visual identity is very important.

A female example, who is even in this movie, Blink. Very popular from Age of Apoc. But the character is barely a character beyond that. Popularity FAR exceeds her actual presence. Especially when you consider necrosha and the like, where they did bring her back and made her terrible. Exiles is much better of course.

Harley Quinn arguably as well. Although, her comic presence has been pretty good. with some misteps.
But she is still inexplicably SUPER popular among SJW and female fans for some reason. like. 90% of cosplay is harley quinn. shes the slave leia of 2000's+.

you would be hard pressed to find a reason THAT character resonated so much. Far more then even Raven or Starfire from Teen titans.
Especially weird when she is a poster child for battered wife syndrome, yet is a SJW fan favorite.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Gambit was also the X-Traitor, correct? I seem to remember that storyline from when Bishop first appeared.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My only issue with Tatum is that Gambit has always been a more agility-based character, not a beefcake, and that's what Tatum seems to be /shrug Kitsch wasn't horrible, but there was a lot of room for improvement over him, so guess we'll see how beefcake does.
pretty sure tatum started out as a dancer, i saw those horrible "step up" and "step up2" movies with my wife (they came out when ABDC was popular), and if anything he can dance, he was also in magic mike, pretty sure he danced there, and it was semi-autobiographical?

either way, does it matter? we still have hold-over legacies like halle barry being storm to suffer with.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like Gambit .i really don't know all the hate towards him
Besides all the valid facts Caliane brought up there's the way his fanboys inevitably sound like they actually want to be in his arms. They can't help but delve in to how he's such a dreamy ladies man and it always comes off like they want him to swoop in and take them away while whispering "mon chere" in their ear.

Plus the whole Cajun thing is just terrible. And did someone in this thread really say Taylor Kitsch was good as him? With his POWER OF STAFF FLIGHT!?

Meh, some writers have done some cool stuff with him, but that's never translated to the screen and I'm not sure it can.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And did someone in this thread really say Taylor Kitsch was good as him? With his POWER OF STAFF FLIGHT!?
WTF does that have to do with the fact that Taylor Kitsch playing him? Kitsch was fine as Gambit and had nothing to do with why origins sucked ass.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Gambit is sweet, his voice work in Marvel Heroes is fun. The XMen movies have all been boring/lame as shit though so Channing Tatum is perfectly in line with what they've produced.