Best mind blowing movie.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I think the movie that stuck with me the longest was The Day After (the nuclear war movie, not the shitty ice age movie). It wasn't mind blowing so much as "powerful."

I finally saw Fight Club recently. I managed to avoid spoilers all these years too. I wasn't blown away by the twist but it wasn't bad. I figured it out about halfway through.

The Butterfly Effect was pretty disturbing when I first saw it.

The first Saw was the best in my opinion. And the ending was great. Though I do like how the last one tied up all the first one's loose ends.

Surprised nobody mentioned Inception. That was a good one and I hate Leonardo Dicaprio.

I saw The Usual Suspects in college and was floored with the big reveal. Never saw it coming.

blumpster_sl

shitlord
Lenny is essentially a hitman for the corrupt cop and Jimmy.
Yes...but that all happened before the film. As far as plot goes, Natalie is the biggest manipulator of Lenny.

This is my understanding of it: Natalie, Jimmy, and Teddy are in cahoots together. Natalie is Jimmy's girlfriend, Jimmy is a drug dealer, and Teddy is a corrupt cop. They encounter difficulties in a deal, or the relationship between Nat/Jim and Ted goes sour, or Ted straight up wants the cash in the back of the Jaguar because he's greedy and tired of it all, so Teddy gets Lenny to off Jimmy. Natalie figures it out, but isn't sure if Teddy has gotten Lenny on Natalie's trail too. She puts Lenny against Teddy, while getting him to take out Dodd, whom we don't know much about but it's safe to say he had a hand in the deal somewhere along the lines and she's tying up loose ends. The fact that Lenny set himself on the trail of Teddy is a weird point in the movie. It's kind of like saying once you set your mind to something the world will contort itself around that idea and make it come true, which is when Natalie manipulating Lenny into killing Teddy comes into play. This is a prevailing trait in Nolan's movies, and the whole "dead wife" scenario, the driving force behind Lenny, falls right in line with that premise: Lenny has convinced himself that he needs to find this John G. character, so the overarching plot point in his life is still the search for "John G." Hell it's blatantly what Inception is all about. There's a lot about ignorance and cutting away all the superficial bullshit that surrounds a person to achieve a specific goal and so on etc etc...Nolan is a master of open interpretation.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Yes...but that all happened before the film. As far as plot goes, Natalie is the biggest manipulator of Lenny.

This is my understanding of it: Natalie, Jimmy, and Teddy are in cahoots together. Natalie is Jimmy's girlfriend, Jimmy is a drug dealer, and Teddy is a corrupt cop. They encounter difficulties in a deal, or the relationship between Nat/Jim and Ted goes sour, or Ted straight up wants the cash in the back of the Jaguar because he's greedy and tired of it all, so Teddy gets Lenny to off Jimmy. Natalie figures it out, but isn't sure if Teddy has gotten Lenny on Natalie's trail too. She puts Lenny against Teddy, while getting him to take out Dodd, whom we don't know much about but it's safe to say he had a hand in the deal somewhere along the lines and she's tying up loose ends. The fact that Lenny set himself on the trail of Teddy is a weird point in the movie. It's kind of like saying once you set your mind to something the world will contort itself around that idea and make it come true, which is when Natalie manipulating Lenny into killing Teddy comes into play. This is a prevailing trait in Nolan's movies, and the whole "dead wife" scenario, the driving force behind Lenny, falls right in line with that premise: Lenny has convinced himself that he needs to find this John G. character, so the overarching plot point in his life is still the search for "John G." Hell it's blatantly what Inception is all about. There's a lot about ignorance and cutting away all the superficial bullshit that surrounds a person to achieve a specific goal and so on etc etc...Nolan is a master of open interpretation.
pretty sure you're off base there.
Jimmy is a drug dealer and Natalie is his girlfriend, but they are just the latest in a long line of dodgy people that Teddy and Lenny have taken out. Natalie certainly takes advantage of Lenny to protect herself against Dodd (Jimmy's boss who's obviously expecting his share of the deal) but that's about the extent of it.

The movie ends with Lenny putting himself on Teddy's trail, which is the earliest point in the 'present' part of the narrative. It also reveals that part of his character that he's more aware of his condition and how to manipulate it then you think at first, and taking out Teddy is him cleaning up a loose end. He's not a pool helpless victim that everyone is taking advantage of and we have to feel sorry for.

Thus the movie becomes about people choosing their own reality and believing what they want to believe rather than actual facts or truth.

blumpster_sl

shitlord
pretty sure you're off base there.
Thus the movie becomes about people choosing their own reality and believing what they want to believe rather than actual facts or truth.
That's what I was getting at...so I'm not as far off base as you think, at least when it comes to that. How did you come to that conclusion about Dodd and Teddy? I've only seen the movie two or three times, so I probably missed some things.

Also, if that's true about Dodd being Teddy's boss, would that make Dodd the guy on the phone? I always figured it was Teddy.

faille

Molten Core Raider
The end scene has Teddy telling Lenny that there's been a dozen John G's, so if we take him at face value, no reason not to at this point, then they've pulled this racket before.

Dodd shows up after the deal falls through, with Natalie panicking and telling Lenny that Dodd want's his money (or was it the drugs?) from the deal. The assumption being that Jimmy works for Dodd, and when Jimmy goes missing after being offed by Teddy + Lenny, Dodd goes to Natalie for answers.

The special edition dvd has a feature that lets you watch the whole thing straight forward, but I've never gotten around to watching it. Not sure I want to either, though it does intrigue me to see the difference.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
The end scene has Teddy telling Lenny that there's been a dozen John G's, so if we take him at face value, no reason not to at this point, then they've pulled this racket before.

Dodd shows up after the deal falls through, with Natalie panicking and telling Lenny that Dodd want's his money (or was it the drugs?) from the deal. The assumption being that Jimmy works for Dodd, and when Jimmy goes missing after being offed by Teddy + Lenny, Dodd goes to Natalie for answers.

The special edition dvd has a feature that lets you watch the whole thing straight forward, but I've never gotten around to watching it. Not sure I want to either, though it does intrigue me to see the difference.
Are there also aliens that decide to punish us for our pollution at the bottom of the sea in that edition?

Just watched Old Boy as i never heard about it , damn that was intense. How about Shattered , was my 1st mind blown movie that i ever saw and also Saw was a good one along with The Sixth Sense where my jaw dropped and i just sat and stared at the screen.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Vanilla Sky...

Mind blown, not only because it's so strange, but also very sad.
In that kinda vibe, Synechdoche, New York is a really interesting movie. It's mind blowing in a different kinda 'Dem Feels' way though. Get something new every time I watch it too.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Synechdoche, New York is the weirdest and most powerful movie. I think I kinda hated it, but I also really enjoyed it on an emotional level. It's impossible to put it into a box.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Decent movies worth checking out: Machinist, Pi, The Illusionist, Frailty, Pan's Labyrinth, The Fall, A Scanner Darkly, The Jacket, The Fountain.

PS. Cypher.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Jacob's Ladder

rrr_img_42608.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
No mention of Mulholland Drive yet? That freaked me the fuck out when I first saw it, and for years I was intrigued by what hidden meanings were buried within the abstract hodgepodge. Well, until it was made clear that there was no hidden meaning and the movie is pretty much designed to mess with the audience for the sake of Lynch messing with the audience. I still give it props for being so weird and somewhat disturbing, though.

On a side note, every time someone says they "figured out" the Sixth Sense or Fight Club halfway through, I take it with a grain of salt. For one thing, even if one was able to abstain from spoilers, these are both movies that became very well know for having twist endings. If you watch either movie knowing a surprise is coming then yeah, you may very well figure it out. But the whole reason they had such a huge impact on the original audiences is because they didn't go in expecting a twist. That's one of the nice things about finding an old but not mainstream movie like Oldboy, which I watched after seeing a clip in the video thread. I like Asian cinema anyway and wasn't expecting anything more than a competent, gritty action movie so I practically fell over backwards when the big reveal came. So, so good, and not spoiled by Hollywood and thousands of people saying "You won'tbelievethe ending!"

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm sure people have thought about it. But David Lynch films don't really count. Those are art pieces more than anything else. There's an expectation that it's going to fuck with you in some way or another. That's the entire point. It's like watching Glass' Koyaaniskatsi and being surprised that there's music in it or something.

Lynch has had a couple of good ones.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I loved The Departed because during the elevator scene I just started laughing out loud in the theater and everyone gasped and then started laughing at/with me.

Prestige was good. Not sure which of the twists was better.